News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Lora Baines Bradley

I doubt it will be easy to retheme (or that they have any plans to ever do so).

I agree with the point about relevance, though -- I think the two Guardians movies are close to the apex of the MCU and I still don't think anyone is going to care about them 15 years from now. It'll depend on how much the ride relies on the movies, though. If it's a fun ride that doesn't rely heavily on knowledge of the movies themselves, it won't matter if the IP has lost relevance (see rides like Splash Mountain and Flight of Passage).
You're probably right, but as an indoor coaster in the dark that will likely rely on projections, maybe they could be easily tweaked? Of course, barring any set pieces or AAs...I guess we'll have to see. Maybe eventually they will get rid of the IP entirely and make it an energy themed coaster...one can dream!

Guardians just seems like such a "here and now" IP. I know the MCU on the whole is still doing well (and I will admit I'm excited for WandaVision), but I feel superhero fatigue is right around the corner. I'm already kinda there. If anything I heavily dislike MCU fan culture- like the people who insist Civil War has stunning cinematography or that it's groundbreaking in some creative way... like nah. I used to be a mega fan but I've definitely drifted out of it. Tron fandom is where it's at. :cool:

FigmentFan82

I doubt it will be easy to retheme (or that they have any plans to ever do so).

I agree with the point about relevance, though -- I think the two Guardians movies are close to the apex of the MCU and I still don't think anyone is going to care about them 15 years from now. It'll depend on how much the ride relies on the movies, though. If it's a fun ride that doesn't rely heavily on knowledge of the movies themselves, it won't matter if the IP has lost relevance (see rides like Splash Mountain and Flight of Passage).
Well Swiss Family Robinson ain't exactly burning up the DVD charts. Prob lots of kids wondering who those long haired ladies are in the pre-show for RnRC. If the attraction is good is should last for quite a while

FigmentFan82

You're probably right, but as an indoor coaster in the dark that will likely rely on projections, maybe they could be easily tweaked? Of course, barring any set pieces or AAs...I guess we'll have to see. Maybe eventually they will get rid of the IP entirely and make it an energy themed coaster...one can dream!

Guardians just seems like such a "here and now" IP. I know the MCU on the whole is still doing well (and I will admit I'm excited for WandaVision), but I feel superhero fatigue is right around the corner. I'm already kinda there. If anything I heavily dislike MCU fan culture- like the people who insist Civil War has stunning cinematography or that it's groundbreaking in some creative way... like nah. I used to be a mega fan but I've definitely drifted out of it. Tron fandom is where it's at. :cool:
superhero fatigue is a made-up thing, it's not real. (see over 80 years of superhero comics existing)

Lora Baines Bradley

Guardians 2 came out in 2017?? Wow, it feels like it's older than that.
It both feels like an eternity and a short time ago...
superhero fatigue is a made-up thing, it's not real. (see over 80 years of superhero comics existing)
To be fair, we haven't exactly had the amount and level of superhero content pumped out at one particular time like we do now. I'm not saying it will happen, I just feel it may. Plus, from my experiences, I'm already there. I feel like the movies blend together. I'm glad some people enjoy them, though. If there are new superhero films that don't just follow the same tried-and-true formula, I will gladly take back my words.

FigmentFan82

To be fair, we haven't exactly had the amount and level of superhero content pumped out at one particular time like we do now. I'm not saying it will happen, I just feel it may. Plus, from my experiences, I'm already there. I feel like the movies blend together. I'm glad some people enjoy them, though. If there are new superhero films that don't just follow the same tried-and-true formula, I will gladly take back my words.
And totes cool if you're not too into it anymore. The increase in content is a result of actually being able to tell these larger than life stories using modern technology in a way they really couldn't before.

Disney Analyst

Ps, some theming/element here:

c4e4eca3eeffd91ccc8ecace9b1c3c76.png

Also I wonder if that big screen will be used for a giant projection of some sort.

UNCgolf

Well Swiss Family Robinson ain't exactly burning up the DVD charts. Prob lots of kids wondering who those long haired ladies are in the pre-show for RnRC. If the attraction is good is should last for quite a while

Exactly. IP can help prop up a mediocre attraction due to familiarity, but if the attraction is good on its own then the IP doesn't really matter.

SplashJacket

Ps, some theming/element here:

View attachment 513438

Also I wonder if that big screen will be used for a giant projection of some sort.
The only real theming we can see in the photo looks to be the thing you pointed out. It looks like the opening is a hexagon that resembles the hexagons in the concept art. If the concept art is anything to go by, it looks like they're warping dimensions by going through the white hex. I guess we can assume the white hex is where the coaster track actually goes through.

f40fca431e8213d0b1644a7582349c41.png
miL3SdDevN8chRqC83zSbL-1200-80.jpg

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Well...

The MCU is over 12 years old and their last 17 (out of 23) movies brought in a Box Office that was more than half a billion each up to two movies that made $2 billion in the past two years.

Guardians is now 6 years old. The GotG not only had two movies (and a third on the way) but they were also in Avengers 3 & 4 with some appearing in Thor 4.

GotG has been in Disneyland for the past 3 years in Mission Breakout. They were in Epcot in Awesome Mix Live in 2018 and 2019 (skipped this year because of the pandemic).

I can understand if some have tired of them... but the general public has not.

MrPromey

If I get there and it bothers me I'll say so, no problem with that.

Hopefully, it won't.

There's a mile of distance between noticing and being bothered. From Japan, it's clearly visible, for instance, but far enough away from Spaceship Earth that it's not difficult to take a picture without including it.

I think the only park they probably could have gotten away with truly hiding that building in would have been Hollywood Studios, where they may have been able to put it in a far corner and then use a few forced perspective tricks to slightly underplay the size and make it look like another sound-stage the way they did with RnR.

UNCgolf

Well...

The MCU is over 12 years old and their last 17 (out of 23) movies brought in a Box Office that was more than half a billion each up to two movies that made $2 billion in the past two years.

Guardians is now 6 years old. The GotG not only had two movies (and a third on the way) but they were also in Avengers 3 & 4 with some appearing in Thor 4.

GotG has been in Disneyland for the past 3 years in Mission Breakout. They were in Epcot in Awesome Mix Live in 2018 and 2019 (skipped this year because of the pandemic).

I can understand if some have tired of them... but the general public has not.

I think the bigger issue for the MCU going forward is that most of the characters on which that success was built are either already gone or will be soon.

There's no guarantee that the new characters they introduce will draw people in the same way -- the standalone MCU films have already generally performed at much lower levels than the mega tentpole Avengers films while still starring part of that established main cast. There's a chance no one is going to really care about films like The Eternals.

Of course they still have at least one more film for the Guardians, Thor, Spider-Man, etc. which should carry them forward for a few more years even if newly introduced characters don't do well. They also have the ability to try the Fantastic Four yet again and, more importantly, the X-Men. They will probably be just fine.

totchos

I feel like the intensity of the backwards launch doesn’t correspond to the rest of the track (at least the section that was just released). An upwards launch backwards seems pretty intense imo while the rest of the track seems relatively docile. Anyone else getting this impression? Maybe the room of track next to this has more intense elements?

Attachments

• 228388A3-6947-4472-99A1-AAB00D06576B.jpeg
    228388A3-6947-4472-99A1-AAB00D06576B.jpeg
    138.2 KB · Views: 58

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I feel like the intensity of the backwards launch doesn’t correspond to the rest of the track (at least the section that was just released). An upwards launch backwards seems pretty intense imo while the rest of the track seems relatively docile. Anyone else getting this impression? Maybe the room of track next to this has more intense elements?
think it depends on how fast it is

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom