News Holidays 2020 at Walt Disney World

LastoneOn

So am I the only one to realize the projections are all from the firework show last year? Wow, it must have taken so much time for Disney for do that 🙄
Yes, you are the only one. Or one of a very few. So Disney should spend how much making something new because a handful of people never want to see the same thing twice??

Disone

Magic Kingdom is very very ugly today. Absolutely no social distancing and mask enforcement. Looks like CM have given up. Way too many people here. Not worth staying I’m leaving I’ll watch the projections from the California Grill tonight.
I went today and it didn't seem as bad as your experience on Saturday. I don't think I'm ready for a weekend crowds yet. For weekday...... a couple things about the character cavalcades.

They are short. And when I say short think 2 minutes. That's it. From beginning to end there about 2 minutes long. If you wanted to add in a minute and a half of anticipation as it comes around the corner and a maybe another minute of savoring the moment after it's past you you could possibly stretch the experience to about 5 minutes long.

But the peak amount of crowding to see what is passing you will be about 2 minutes. And yes people definitely are encroaching on that six-foot barrier. Your mileage may vary but with me personally I don't mind it being encroached on for brief moments. 5 minutes or less I consider brief when in an outdoor environment.

So honestly After experiencing it in person it really wasn't as bad as it looked in pictures. But again I went on a Tuesday. I'm sincere when I say I think it was better than your experience on a Saturday.

Here is a picture that looks like everyone is packed in tightly. Note the lady in the pink shirt on the right hand side of the picture with her hair in a bun. Everyone looks close together. At this point the the cavalcade is passing her. The princess gazebo has already passed her and the castle float is about too.

20201110_163427_HDR.jpg

The second picture is taking just a few seconds later. I purposely took it down towards the ground so you could see how far apart people really are based on feet on the concrete rather than heads in the air. In many cases, certainly not all, but in many cases there is six feet in between groups of people. And they're certainly more space than what it looks like when you just look at the Sea of heads.

20201110_163429.jpg

So truly it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. The cavalcades are a little bit shorter then I thought they would be and people are a little bit more spaced out.

I took two more examples of the Sea of heads and then feet on the ground comparisons But I won't bore you with those unless you really want them. Also as I may have mentioned in an earlier post it is less crowded in frontierland and Lib square that it was on Main Street.

If you really want to keep six feet around you while watching these cavalcades it's pretty easy to do in Frontierland. At least on a Tuesday :)

It was also nice to see the trolley out on Main Street in the middle of the afternoon. I got there at 2 p.m. and it was still being used. And it was decked out with Garland. Here's a nice picture of it right after the Winnie the Pooh characters had gotten off after waving to everybody while traveling down Main Street. Also neat to see the seats have been adjusted for forward and backwards backward seating. Although really in this case it just makes it easier for the characters to get on and off.

20201110_140040.jpg

The toy soldiers marching with the Main Street Phil harmonic was awesome.

20201110_144951_HDR.jpg

It was only four of them leading the way but they did March in different positions. Sometimes single file, sometimes two by two yet always in unison with boot clopping marching step that were very satisfying to hear.

And the Dapper Dan's did a lovely holiday show, featuring the chimes and even some light tap dancing. Which sounded great on the tile floors of main Street stations overlook.
IMG_20201110_173640_986.jpg

One sad thing though. Apparently the Muppets had today off:(

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

So we're rarely (only been once about a decade ago) able to visit WDW over Christmas. For those who go - do the HTH projections work? The up close photos don't look great and it doesn't feel right to have TOT looking festive. But from Sunset Blvd at a distance, it looks like maybe it's okay?
I had my doubts but I really enjoyed the holiday projection shows with the lasers and the snow. You could tell they were trying to recreate the feel of the Osborne lights.
Yep I agree. I put Tree of Life at the top of the list for effective use of the projections, then somewhere in the middle goes Cinderella Castle and the Chinese Theater, with HTH at the bottom of the list.
Tree of Life is certainly the best done. Not only does it seem the most natural, it also seems the most magical. The castle and tower seem to be exactly what they are, big projector shining on the castle. Somehow the tree of life really seems to come alive with the projections.

DCBaker

Premium Member
The stage in front of the castle?

"Disney Channel is celebrating the holidays for kids and families in some special ways this year, including bringing more holiday magic to Walt Disney World Resort! Disney Channel’s first of three holiday specials is “Disney Holiday Magic Quest,” a high-stakes challenge that navigates Magic Kingdom Park.

Disney Channel’s “ZOMBIES 2 stars, Pearce Joza, Ariel Martin, Milo Manheim, and Kylee Russell, compete in Disney Holiday Magic Quest, a high-stakes, holiday adventure inside Magic Kingdom Park at Walt Disney World Resort after dark.

Raven-Symoné virtually hosts the challenge, which features “ZOMBIES 2” stars Milo Manheim, Kylee Russell, Ariel Martin, and Pearce Joza competing in a holiday adventure through Magic Kingdom Park. After iconic Disney villains Maleficent and Evil Queen steal holiday magic, the stars must overcome obstacles and complete challenges to restore the joy of the season. The challenges take place throughout Magic Kingdom Park and include iconic attractions and locations like Haunted Mansion and Cinderella Castle. The four stars are also competing for a grand prize that will benefit Toys for Tots, a nonprofit organization that delivers hope and the magic of the holidays to less fortunate children."

"Tune in for the premiere of “Disney Holiday Magic Quest” on Disney Channel, Friday, Dec. 4 at 8:00 p.m. ET/PT to see if the stars successfully restore the holiday magic throughout their Magic Kingdom Park adventure! "

TTA94

Somewhat off subject, but was browsing through YouTube and came across last years behind the scenes look at MWCT. I wonder if the music was originally intended for the show and got changed? Sounds fun and upbeat. I don’t think it’s from any released show correct?

Disone

They do them within the last hour before the projections come on, and they only do it on Main Street, to the castle and back since they have good show lighting there.
When I was there tuesday, the regular non-rainy version of the Santa Claus Cavalcade ran through the park, not just Main Street.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
When I was there tuesday, the regular non-rainy version of the Santa Claus Cavalcade ran through the park, not just Main Street.
Daytime it runs through the whole park, but after dark remains on Main Street as far as I know.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom