Disney statement on Walt Disney World entertainment

Schneewittchen

the princess bride boo GIF

Minnesota disney fan

I've been trying to justify a trip to WDW with allthe restrictions and no price reduction.
This move by disney just made my mind up for me. Those entertainers are a big part of our trip. They make the difference between 6 flags and WDW, IMO. Now it is just rides and not much else.
So, I will wait til the masks are gone and the performers return to disney.
Thanks, Disney, for helping me make up my mind.

TrainsOfDisney

You know things are pretty bleak when the official executive statement cites specifically "Joy from “Inside Out” frolicking on the lawn" as an innovative example of the very best of their current entertainment offerings.
Right?
We just laid off over 700 professional actors but here’s a costumed character walking through a flower bed... see it’s still magical! Book your trip today!

Dan Deesnee

They are doing what they can. I think anyone who loves WDW should just be happy it is open at all and is at least somewhat the same trip as we were able to have pre-pandemic. Yes the shows missing and fireworks, etc. are a big loss but again, at least it's open.

My trip a few weeks back was almost as magical as our regular trips. In some ways it was better, in some ways worse. But I'm just happy to be able to go at all knowing that at some point in the next year or two most of these missing elements will return in some form.

They really can't drop the ticket prices, it would cause a flood of issues and possibly make it not worth even having the parks open.

phillip9698

They are doing what they can. I think anyone who loves WDW should just be happy it is open at all and is at least somewhat the same trip as we were able to have pre-pandemic. Yes the shows missing and fireworks, etc. are a big loss but again, at least it's open.

My trip a few weeks back was almost as magical as our regular trips. In some ways it was better, in some ways worse. But I'm just happy to be able to go at all knowing that at some point in the next year or two most of these missing elements will return in some form.

They really can't drop the ticket prices, it would cause a flood of issues and possibly make it not worth even having the parks open.

Well, for a lot of people the shows, fireworks, parades, character performers, etc... are what make it WDW. Its not WDW just because the sign says so.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

They absolutely could drop ticket prices right now without causing a stampede of guests (because there aren’t that many guests who can/want to go right now). They choose not to.

brb1006

You know things are pretty bleak when the official executive statement cites specifically "Joy from “Inside Out” frolicking on the lawn" as an innovative example of the very best of their current entertainment offerings.
And Pooh catching butterflies at Epcot.

Also when they mentioned stuff like that, it makes me think Disney has forgotten a time when the characters used to be able to be more interactive and did stuff like that back in the day.

Schneewittchen

Back in the early 2000's I worked for someone who actually wrote this for a public announcement:

"In order to improve customer service, we are discontinuing the following services...."

She got fired a few months later. For something even more egregious.

Anyway, my point is, this bright star of customer service laid off a bunch of people and shut down a bunch of services. It sucked. A team of 40 was reduced to 8. Customer wait times went through the roof and employee morale was awful. People hated my team and we hated them right back.

I left that job a couple of years later, it was grinding me up. But in 2010 I came back as the manager. Now this team has 60 people. Customers love us. We always expand what we're doing. Yes, we're dealing with a $300M budget shortfall. Executives are taking pay cuts. OMG. But my group is expanding hours. We're trying to grow out of the shortfall.

I don't know exactly where I'm going with this but, but hey Greedy Mouse, taking any people's livelihoods and screwing over customers isn't a good look.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
My heart goes out to the performers and all of the unemployed CMs and The companies that are the collateral damage. I am an AP and miss WDW. That said my kids Dad passed away from COVID Which traces to a baby shower for our niece. My DD sent gifts but wisely didn’t attend. we have canceled 3 trips since COVID to WDW and likely our December trip.

We are all upset about the Virus, disruption of how all things were, but we are where we are. Specific to the Performers topic Disney is not alone forced to make difficult choices nobody wanted to make. Disney path is Human life needs to be protected Under the current environment, cast and guests. If we take a step back and look at the COVID protocol for distancing Performances are rough to safely implement. Lion King, Nemo-alot going on there on those stages. Masks? Cast touching and breathing on each other. Or the Hoopdie at Ft W. Cast everywhere and guest would have masks off to eat and drink. Germany’s restaurant stage even smaller. Resorts, How do you keep patrons and Yehaa Bob safe And social distance and pay his salary when the capacity is currently so low? The seating area in Canada is so tight For the band. It is not likely guests would keep walking and not stop to listen. Sunset Blvd is narrow and often crowded. Citizens are close not only to others but their fellow cast. The examples could go on.

Me I don’t have any Constructive solutions to offer up to Disney while the pandemic is spiraling out of
control. I am aware that this all maybe mute soon. Disney closed down Disneyland Paris again. Disney isn’t alone. There is Broadway, off Broadway, symphonies and local events all in hibernation.

5142FBDC-CC80-4FA9-8387-D0152AB2C0F2.jpeg

Please wear a mask, correctly and social distance

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom