Disney cancelling shows -- a necessary move

LovePop

Original Poster
Many people on the internet sound upset that Disney is cancelling many shows such as Festival of the Lion King, but I believe we as fans of WDW need to support this and other layoffs, as well as any price increases, to help Disney survive. Disney is in quite a financial bind right now. They've been strapped of cash even before 2020 thanks to the purchase of Fox, the building of the two Galaxy's Edge, Shanghai Disneyland, (which costs 5 billion and earns 50 million per year, so it will be 100 years before Disney can get their investment back!). The losses in Onward, Mulan and other failed movies didn't help. And now, the limited opening of Disney World and Disneyland is disastrous, they are losing millions on a daily basis.

While none of this is us the fan's fault, we will eventually be the ones paying for it all to help Disney World survive. In the coming years, we must expect to pay more for less and hope that it is good enough. In time, Disney World should completely recover and we will get everything back: shows, fireworks, parades, and freedom from health measures. But it might take 3 years or more

Personally, I can deal with all of it except one thing: masks. I'll go back to Disney World when masks are no longer required, even if Disney cuts all the shows, the rides, everything. If they just open up all the hotels and restaurants and use the parks as shopping malls, like they are doing with Disneyland, I'll take it. But I can't do masks. I mean, if you were to give me a free WDW vacation if I would just wear a mask, I wouldn't do it. Because I wouldn't be able to enjoy it.

WDWFANSINCE81

Nope. Stock buy backs, ridiculous executive compensation, and poor management put Disney deeper into this mess than necessary. Cutting low wage workers, price increases, reducing value is not the way to get out of this. Personally...no interest in going back. Disney is squandering its brand value....

Capsin4

They had a decade or more to get capex right. They’ve contributed a lot to this perfect storm.

Maybe the Disney brand they’ve thought they had isn’t sustainable anymore. Maybe super premium park experiences, high ticket pricing and mind boggling resort costs in the theme park industry goes away in the post covid world.

A small group has ridden this pony to riches and now it’s time to pay.

drew81

Many people on the internet sound upset that Disney is cancelling many shows such as Festival of the Lion King, but I believe we as fans of WDW need to support this and other layoffs, as well as any price increases, to help Disney survive. Disney is in quite a financial bind right now. They've been strapped of cash even before 2020 thanks to the purchase of Fox, the building of the two Galaxy's Edge, Shanghai Disneyland, (which costs 5 billion and earns 50 million per year, so it will be 100 years before Disney can get their investment back!). The losses in Onward, Mulan and other failed movies didn't help. And now, the limited opening of Disney World and Disneyland is disastrous, they are losing millions on a daily basis.

While none of this is us the fan's fault, we will eventually be the ones paying for it all to help Disney World survive. In the coming years, we must expect to pay more for less and hope that it is good enough. In time, Disney World should completely recover and we will get everything back: shows, fireworks, parades, and freedom from health measures. But it might take 3 years or more

Personally, I can deal with all of it except one thing: masks. I'll go back to Disney World when masks are no longer required, even if Disney cuts all the shows, the rides, everything. If they just open up all the hotels and restaurants and use the parks as shopping malls, like they are doing with Disneyland, I'll take it. But I can't do masks. I mean, if you were to give me a free WDW vacation if I would just wear a mask, I wouldn't do it. Because I wouldn't be able to enjoy it.

To each his own.

Mat Cauthon

firefly GIF

Lilofan

Nope. Stock buy backs, ridiculous executive compensation, and poor management put Disney deeper into this mess than necessary. Cutting low wage workers, price increases, reducing value is not the way to get out of this. Personally...no interest in going back. Disney is squandering its brand value....
Cutting low wage workers is not the whole picture of the layoffs. Management and executives are also part of the restructuring. Disney is not the only company out there laying off low wage staff to restructure the company. Reducing value has been going on for long time. Think post 9/11/01.

ppete1975

haha so you are ok with no fireworks, no real parades less shows, less rides, less attractions.. nothing new...
but a piece of fabric stops you? id wear 5 masks if you would just give me everything else. I wear an elevation mask to the gym with full filtration and i forget i wear it half the time...
So if i run out of money, thats my fault for not having savings.... i put disney in the same boat to a degree (not that anyone could see 1 of their businesses shut down, let alone ALL of them since they were pretty well diversified)... but they still should have had a plan in case they needed money to stay afloat.

ppete1975

you realize.. they unfroze the execs salaries and just gave them bonus's.....

Disstevefan1

Am I reading this correctly? You ask Disneyparks fans to keep supporting the disneyparks; accept massive layoffs, accept price increases, play more for less, keep going to the parks, but you will NOT go to the parks until masks are not needed? (Wearing a mask is barely an inconvenience) You are not a very good advocate for the Disneyparks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom