Politics 28000 Layoffs coming to Disney's domestic theme parks - statement from Josh D'Amaro

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
How about the more lives that have been lost due to the carelessness of them opening up businesses too soon and being less strict on the lockdown protocols because businesses are more important??

That is just misleading and dishonest.

The majority of covid deaths (~75%) in the United States (per CDC) are age 65 and above. Of that group a large percentage of the deaths were attributable to assisted living facilities, pre-existing health factors, and hospitals.

These are people that never set foot inside a Restaurant, Box Store, etc.

The overwhelming majority of people patronizing businesses and engaging in commerce have done so safely and responsibly. For those that choose to go out, it's a matter of personal responsibility. If you are responsible you take precautions and follow common sense. The carelessness you speak of comes from people who make the personal choice not to do things responsibly. Like it or not people in a free country still can act like idiots, ultimately the responsibility is with the individual to make the choices that affect their lives.

HongKongFooy

Yes - please Disney... please explain to the senator why you didn't foresee this and why on earth you'd give billions in profits to your OWNERS. WHY DISNEY? WHY?

^^^^Enough!
Enough of your words!
Let your new dawn lead to the final sunset on my people's suffering.
When I think of our condition, my heart is heavy.
I see CM's of my own people treated like animals.......^^^^

DCLcruiser

Reality is most companies will have layoffs due to the pandemic.

I get Senator Warren's questions. Why not cut the dividend first. A former employer years ago had layoffs, and we know that they hold one of the world's largest art collections...why not sell it and save a few jobs? I guess it is not that easy.

tallica

The World Health Organization defines a COVID-19 death as one where COVID-19 is the underlying cause of death, encompassing both confirmed and suspected cases. Where COVID-19 is a contributing factor, but not the cause leading directly to death, it is not counted. However, the World Health Organization guidance was introduced in April 2020, by which stage countries may already have introduced their own guidance. Consequently, there are significant differences in how COVID-19 deaths are reported between countries.

"Almost certainly it's higher," said Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, at a virtual Senate hearing on May 12, 2020. "There may have been people who died at home who were not counted as COVID because they never really got to the hospital."

July: New MIT study says actual number of coronavirus cases is 12 times higher than reported — with 50 percent more deaths

"For every two Americans that we know of who are dying of Covid-19, another American is dying," said Dr. Steven Woolf, author of the new research and director emeritus of the Center on Society and Health at Virginia Commonwealth University.

Plus to mention the sanitization protocols are magnitudes better than the 1918-1919 Spanish Flu Pandemic and the population has gone up by several billion. It won't shock me at all if COVID Deaths worldwide are at least 50% underreported.
Still not statistically significant at double the reported deaths'

peter11435

Reality is most companies will have layoffs due to the pandemic.

I get Senator Warren's questions. Why not cut the dividend first. A former employer years ago had layoffs, and we know that they hold one of the world's largest art collections...why not sell it and save a few jobs? I guess it is not that easy.
The did not pay the dividend.

Selling assets in order to keep jobs and pay employees you don’t need and can’t use is terrible business.

And to everyone commenting on executive salary, yes it’s way too high. However eliminating executive salary for the year wouldn’t pay these 28000 people for a week.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The did not pay the dividend.

Selling assets in order to keep jobs and pay employees you don’t need and can’t use is terrible business.

And to everyone commenting on executive salary, yes it’s way too high. However eliminating executive salary for the year wouldn’t pay these 28000 people for a week.

The whole thing is grandstanding at its worst. But because she touches on emotional points people believe in... they jump right on board... facts be damned.

LSLS

Still not statistically significant at double the reported deaths'

Ok, I really want to let this stuff go and focus on the cast being fired, but what does this even mean? Statistical significance has to do with determining if a result is due to chance or if the result is real. Are you just trying to say it's not significant?

flynnibus

Premium Member
It’s a political opinion. If you are on one side, she’s right, if you’re on the other side, she’s wrong.

Just like all political issues in this country.

No it's not just political opinion.

Her support of workers in the time of a pandemic is a political opinion.

Her weaving a story of paying billions in dividends and stock buybacks as the reason for layoffs is grandstanding and simply fake.
Her weaving a story of how Disney is 'ill prepared' for the pandemic is stuff she's made up that simply doesn't align with the people actually tasked to track this stuff and share qualified opinions on the matter.
Her postuation that Disney's past behavior is what is causing this layoff is simply her applies apples and oranges so she can grandstand over the topic of workers vs executive action.

She has an opinion - and is using completely irrational logic and assertions to support her opinion.

You're free to your own opinion - but not to your own facts or realities. And if you use garbage to try to support your opinion... it's going to take away from other merits of the opinion. And that's exactly what Warren is doing here.

Let's look at another bit... by Warren's own cites, she points out Disney has spent over 53 BILLION on stock buybacks and dividends... (because she wants to cite numbers going all the way back to 2009!!) then wants to beat them up over executive compensation. Even if Disney had spent A BILLION DOLLARS on those execs, it still would only be 2% out of the stash she's busting their balls over. It's like buying a house and complaining about the quality of the pen the realtor is using. IT DOESN'T MOVE THE NEEDLE!

It's like blaming the US for not being prepared for the pandemic because of how much we spent on WWII. Uses facts - but doesn't actually make a valid point.

Her platform is poltical opinion - how she's applying it here and in the specific case of Disney responding to her is a factual discussion.

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I don't like the sound of that... :oops:
Common HR wisdom used to say do your big layoffs on Fridays. Now the jury's out.

I can speak from my experience -- when 40 of my 44-person department were let go on a Friday, we went straight to a bar.

RSoxNo1

While I agree with her sentiments, Disney doesn’t owe her any explanation.
As a regulator of business in this country, they do. While I assume she filed questions under appropriate means, our commander in chief has also established precedent that publicly questioning things on Twitter is a perfectly acceptable means of governance as well.

I encourage you to look at @lentesta's previous comments on this elsewhere in the thread and on the most recent episode of the Disney Dish Podcast.

seascape

Elizabeth Warren is just wrong. If she were right, she would have propsed years ago that the Federal Government set up a fund to prepare for a pandemic. Instead thanks to both stupid political parties, we have massive debt. Now, this post may be political but for anyone to believe the private sector needs to be ready for a pandemic but the Federal Government, State Governments and local Governments don't is just crazy.

flynnibus

Premium Member
As a regulator of business in this country, they do. While I assume she filed questions under appropriate means, our commander in chief has also established precedent that publicly questioning things on Twitter is a perfectly acceptable means of governance as well.

If she wants to subpoena Disney to come testify... sure. Otherwise Disney can tell her to pound sand.

RSoxNo1

If she wants to subpoena Disney to come testify... sure. Otherwise Disney can tell her to pound sand.
Right, they are under no legal obligation to respond to a Tweet.

The issue here is one of regulation, of which her opinion has merit. That's not offering my opinion of her opinion, but her position to create and vote on laws is absolutely relevant.

Full disclosure, I have my reasons for not being a fan of Elizabeth Warren and I voted democratically across the board this election (she was not up for re-election in Massachusetts).

asianway

Common HR wisdom used to say do your big layoffs on Fridays. Now the jury's out.

I can speak from my experience -- when 40 of my 44-person department were let go on a Friday, we went straight to a bar.
I feel dumber for reading that nonsense. Do it ASAP once HR gives the go a head, no good comes of waiting

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom