runDisney Star Wars Events

Surferboy567

Do the recent layoffs effect Star Wars? I am hearing that announcers were laid off.

Was starting to think it wasn’t happening and was going virtual.

OG Runner

Boston 2021 has been delayed.

I live in Massachusetts. I find this to be both stupid and depressing. We need to begin living again.
I heard some people got sick after the 2018 Disney Marathon. Some people were not prepared for
the colder temps and yes there are about 25,000 participants. They had the race in 2019 & 2020.
Stop being so afraid to live. Take the proper precautions. You may still get COVID anyway. You may
may die. You may die crossing the street today. I still don't understand the fear of the organizations.
Have you ever looked at the fine print in a race entry form? It should be our choice to run or not,
they are not responsible. (Sorry for the rant) It must be COVID induced. 🤪

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
I live in Massachusetts. I find this to be both stupid and depressing. We need to begin living again.
I heard some people got sick after the 2018 Disney Marathon. Some people were not prepared for
the colder temps and yes there are about 25,000 participants. They had the race in 2019 & 2020.
Stop being so afraid to live. Take the proper precautions. You may still get COVID anyway. You may
may die. You may die crossing the street today. I still don't understand the fear of the organizations.
Have you ever looked at the fine print in a race entry form? It should be our choice to run or not,
they are not responsible. (Sorry for the rant) It must be COVID induced. 🤪

No major race/event/etc. wants to be associated with a "super spreader event" - until we have this ish under control this is how it's going to be.

Just because we're all sick of Covid (and we ALL are) doesn't mean it's gone away.

OG Runner

No major race/event/etc. wants to be associated with a "super spreader event" - until we have this ish under control this is how it's going to be.

Just because we're all sick of Covid (and we ALL are) doesn't mean it's gone away.

The vast majority of individuals that have contracted Covid have recovered. Yes, people with preexisting conditions and compromised
immune systems have unfortunately died. Which category do you think your average runner would fall into. Like I said we are dealing
with this from fear.

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
The vast majority of individuals that have contracted Covid have recovered. Yes, people with preexisting conditions and compromised
immune systems have unfortunately died. Which category do you think your average runner would fall into. Like I said we are dealing
with this from fear.

Your average runner is typically healthy. HOWEVER - what happens when a runner catches it and start spreading it around to everyone else? Kids, parents, grandparents. I'm sorry both of my parents are immunocompromised and if I killed them by attending something like this I'd never forgive myself. You're not going to see anything resembling normalcy until late 2021 or even 22.

OG Runner

Your average runner is typically healthy. HOWEVER - what happens when a runner catches it and start spreading it around to everyone else? Kids, parents, grandparents. I'm sorry both of my parents are immunocompromised and if I killed them by attending something like this I'd never forgive myself. You're not going to see anything resembling normalcy until late 2021 or even 22.

I completely understand your point of view and your situation. If I was in your situation I wouldn't want to be part of a large event
either and be responsible for transmitting a disease to others. The fact of the matter, however, is there are a lot of people that are
not in that situation. A lot of healthy individuals that would like to participate in an athletic competition, for fun. Like I said, we are
dealing with this out of fear and organizations seem determined to wait until absolutely no one could get sick attending their event,
which wasn't the standard that we had before the pandemic.

Rose&Crown

I completely understand your point of view and your situation. If I was in your situation I wouldn't want to be part of a large event
either and be responsible for transmitting a disease to others. The fact of the matter, however, is there are a lot of people that are
not in that situation. A lot of healthy individuals that would like to participate in an athletic competition, for fun. Like I said, we are
dealing with this out of fear and organizations seem determined to wait until absolutely no one could get sick attending their event,
which wasn't the standard that we had before the pandemic.
No one is waiting until “absolutely no one could get sick” that’s just completely inaccurate and a horrible misrepresentation of what’s going on.
People can get sick from the flu yet we go out. The difference is there are forms of treatment for that. Right now we have nothing to help treat patients besides over running our hospitals.

so if you think that’s a good idea and your local hospital gets over run I do hope and pray no one in your family needs to go to the ER because if they do you’re out of luck.

That’s why events are being put on hold, it’s their responsibility to the community to not have a major spreading event like this could end up being.

I’m not here saying things aren’t being taken to a slight extreme because it very well might be but I also think we should air on the side of caution and try to limit this as much as possible.

GimpYancIent

You express a valid concern that negatively impacts athletic event participants in their decisions to be in an event or not. By the same token there are people that do not have the same concerns and are fully ready / able to participate. Those that are able to participate should not be denied by events being canceled "in an over abundance of caution". Events can be held with prudent protocols and procedures in place quite safely. Each person is responsible to make the best choices for themselves. I respect yours. I ask you respect mine. By the way I am one of those over 70 runners and I fully intend to do the Kessel Run Challenge. It's not about age, COVID19 viciously attacks the weak, frail and compromised at any age.

OG Runner

No one is waiting until “absolutely no one could get sick” that’s just completely inaccurate and a horrible misrepresentation of what’s going on.
People can get sick from the flu yet we go out. The difference is there are forms of treatment for that. Right now we have nothing to help treat patients besides over running our hospitals.

so if you think that’s a good idea and your local hospital gets over run I do hope and pray no one in your family needs to go to the ER because if they do you’re out of luck.

That’s why events are being put on hold, it’s their responsibility to the community to not have a major spreading event like this could end up being.

I’m not here saying things aren’t being taken to a slight extreme because it very well might be but I also think we should air on the side of caution and try to limit this as much as possible.

A lot of "ifs" a lot of people are afraid of, that are affecting a lot more people's lives and livelihood.

GimpYancIent

Large athletic events have taken place (not many but some) and none have been "super spreader events" actually none have been any kind of spreader event. Healthy people doing healthy things (like exercise) protocols, precautions and being considerate of each other are contributing factors to successful athletic events. Super spreader events have had nothing to do with athletics (how about riots?) just saying. The apocalyptic hospital over whelming's and staggering numbers of severely ill people projected months ago have not and will not happen. Yes, the numbers are substantial and this is a no joke serious illness to be treated with respect, but, with prudent precautions events need to happen, activities resume and living to continue. Cancellations are not the answer.

Rose&Crown

Large athletic events have taken place (not many but some) and none have been "super spreader events" actually none have been any kind of spreader event. Healthy people doing healthy things (like exercise) protocols, precautions and being considerate of each other are contributing factors to successful athletic events. Super spreader events have had nothing to do with athletics (how about riots?) just saying. The apocalyptic hospital over whelming's and staggering numbers of severely ill people projected months ago have not and will not happen. Yes, the numbers are substantial and this is a no joke serious illness to be treated with respect, but, with prudent precautions events need to happen, activities resume and living to continue. Cancellations are not the answer.
While events can take place and yes a lot are not “super spreader” events you cannot blame a company/municipality from not wanting to take that risk. There’s a chance nothing goes wrong but there is a chance that something bad happens and then Disney’s name is tied to it. They’re not going to risk that at all, their image is something they want to keep clean of COVID. You see them taking this a lot slower than most and maybe it’s not the approach we all want but from a marketing PR standpoint it’s the approach they need to take.

it’s also not just the runners, it’s staffing, it’s finding sponsors who want their name tied to the event, it’s the cost of all the police, all the food...etc. there’s plenty of reasons Disney is holding back and I don’t fault them at all. Am I bummed? Ya for sure but I get it.

Surferboy567

While events can take place and yes a lot are not “super spreader” events you cannot blame a company/municipality from not wanting to take that risk. There’s a chance nothing goes wrong but there is a chance that something bad happens and then Disney’s name is tied to it. They’re not going to risk that at all, their image is something they want to keep clean of COVID. You see them taking this a lot slower than most and maybe it’s not the approach we all want but from a marketing PR standpoint it’s the approach they need to take.

it’s also not just the runners, it’s staffing, it’s finding sponsors who want their name tied to the event, it’s the cost of all the police, all the food...etc. there’s plenty of reasons Disney is holding back and I don’t fault them at all. Am I bummed? Ya for sure but I get it.
I was going to say this...even though I realize I am not the most qualified to speak about this in general. I couldn’t have said it better myself.

Surferboy567

I wonder now that Wine and Dine is happening and due to end on Sunday. Maybe we will get the runDisney calendar sometime soon for 2021-2022.

I also expect to hear something about Star Wars sometime soon. I will be doing all the races (possibly with shirts) depending on the price if it goes virtual.

When going though dates when they announced races were virtual they announced wine and dine, marathon, and princess on the same day of the months they were announced the 22nd. Maybe we hear something before or around that date. It also matches up with this timeframe.

If Star Wars goes virtual...and they follow the same timeframe as princess we would know on November 17th.

We were told about virtual Princess 149 days in advance. Assuming the same timeframe is applied here.

For the record, we were also told about a virtual Wine & Dine 106 days in advance. If they followed this timeframe for Star Wars we would know on December 30th.

EDIT: Funny enough we were also told 106 days in advance for a virtual marathon weekend.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Shop Disney just posted a BUNCH of Star Wars themed run disney gear. That doesn't bode well for for an in-person race in April methinks.

The spirit jerseys have been in the website for a while. But those are definitely race weekend shirts.

I wonder if the theme for the Challenge was going to be Baby Yoda.

Agree, not looking good for an on-property race. ☹️

Surferboy567

Shop Disney just posted a BUNCH of Star Wars themed run disney gear. That doesn't bode well for for an in-person race in April methinks.
The spirit jerseys have been in the website for a while. But those are definitely race weekend shirts.

I wonder if the theme for the Challenge was going to be Baby Yoda.

Agree, not looking good for an on-property race. ☹️
Death Star, Falcon, Yoda, Darth Vader seem to be the common theme.

I wonder if this bodes well for a virtual option being available though? Seems like all the merch was definitely made.

also...no spoilers but are we still calling him baby yoda?

EDIT: I wouldn’t be surprised if they tell us this or next week. It lines up with the timeframe.

EDIT #2: Or those the marathon and Star Wars Race Jacket? Another thing add Tie Fighters, and Stormtroopers to possible themes.

Last edited:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Death Star, Falcon, Yoda, Darth Vader seem to be the common theme.

I wonder if this bodes well for a virtual option being available though? Seems like all the merch was definitely made.

also...no spoilers but are we still calling him baby yoda?

EDIT: I wouldn’t be surprised if they tell us this or next week. It lines up with the timeframe.

EDIT #2: Or those the marathon and Star Wars Race Jacket? Another thing add Tie Fighters, and Stormtroopers to possible themes.

The race weekend jackets historically gave been black and have the year printed on them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom