Original WDW Entrance

Club Cooloholic

Now now where's the fun in that...

View attachment 494648
;)

I know this might rub some people the wrong way but... Man that is boring and bland looking. I get that the whole idea was to separate the modern world and the world of fantasy in the park, plus it was the 70's and... well that picture perfectly sums up the 70's but it's so drab looking. Call me a 90's kid all you want but I prefer my overly colorful, in-your-face stimulation! 😁
Dayglo and neon baby!

DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince - Homebase.jpg
DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince - Homebase.jpg

Robbiem

If memory serves the arched sign at the MK parking entrance was repurposed sadly from Wonders of Life pavilion in Futureworld Epcot.

interesting. I remember on my first visit in 1989 the magic kingdom parking entrance to the TTC looked like the earlier 1970s pic but I’m sure it said ‘Walt Disney World’ rather than ‘parking entrance’. Does anyone else remember this or is my memory playing tricks on me?

Goofyernmost

interesting. I remember on my first visit in 1989 the magic kingdom parking entrance to the TTC looked like the earlier 1970s pic but I’m sure it said ‘Walt Disney World’ rather than ‘parking entrance’. Does anyone else remember this or is my memory playing tricks on me?
I can barely remember what I did yesterday, much less 36 years ago. I don't really remember but I didn't go until 1983 and it seems to me like it said Magic Kingdom on it. However, I wouldn't put a lot of money on my memory of that.

Smiley/OCD

Just a couple of tidbits about the topics...hopefully this will answer some questions...the brown signs were first introduced in France in the mid 70's. They were used to show tourist attractions. They were brown as to not confuse the driving public on actual driving instructions, exits, towns, etc. All of the interstate sign and symbols you see today were developed in Europe and adopted here in the US with standards regulated by the Nat'l. Highway Traffic Safety Admin. States, counties and cities used their policy. Since Disney controls and maintains all of their access roads, they began to use their own designs and color schemes. I actually LOVE the red and purple signs...the first REAL hint you're entering your happy place!

As far as the radio station goes, the FCC allows and licences LPAM (low power AM) transmitters to be used to give information on traffic conditions, points of interest, etc. The transmitters are usually under 50 watts and have a very small coverage area (usually under a radius of a few miles). Hope this clears some things up and answers some questions...

Smiley/OCD

Here's a photo of the old parking entrance from 1972.
1972%20WDW%201.jpg

Another photo from the 80s (this location is where the current Walt Disney World entrance is located)
welcome-to-wdw-original-sign.jpg
I just realized, the parking lot photo looks just like a toll booth on the NJ Turnpike...just a LOT more expensive! lol

SteamboatJoe

Never disputed what the signs were for or why they were brown. Of course I know they were the old markers for designating places of interest in the state. I was merely expressing how dull they were and unDisney like.

They were probably brown because brown is the nationally standardized color for highway signs identifying recreational areas of all types, not just national parks, as established by the FHWA (Federal Highway Administration) in the MUTCD (Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Designs). Many states subsequently adopted these standards for state and local signage for consistency.

mk1971

They were designed in the late 80s by Deborah Sussman. The designs were significantly altered and finally built in 1995-1996 for the 25th anniversary of WDW.

Here's concept art of the Walt Disney World Entrance from a 1995/1996 magazine promoting Walt Disney World's 25th Anniversary Celebration.

Thank you so much!! I tried to find a photo of the real entrance and didn't find... thank you so much for the concept art!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom