Politics 28000 Layoffs coming to Disney's domestic theme parks - statement from Josh D'Amaro

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

HongKongFooy

Let's hope nothing like that goes down because it's bad for all involved. I'd hate to see some distressed, wayward ex Disney employee spend 20+ years in prison over some rash decision.

Mesmer92

In the Parks
No
I know that Disney is a corporation in the end but you’d hope that they’d be better than to send cast members off like that. So disappointing...
If the many companies that send me generic emails can put my first name at the beginning, surely Disney can. This is utterly digsuting, shameful, and down right devilish. How do these people even sleep at night? Gosh I thought I had a heart of stone but these people take the cake.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
Here's the letter posted by Unite Here Local 737 union -

"Disney’s letter was a standard letter issued to Union employees as well as employees without a Union. Unfortunately, workers without a Union have no legal right to return and are permanently laid-off. Workers covered by the Union agreement are protected through October 1, 2022."

Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 3.41.05 PM.png

KBLovedDisney

Here's the letter posted by Unite Here Local 737 union -

"Disney’s letter was a standard letter issued to Union employees as well as employees without a Union. Unfortunately, workers without a Union have no legal right to return and are permanently laid-off. Workers covered by the Union agreement are protected through October 1, 2022."

View attachment 508551
"Your employment will be separated..." Don't they mean terminated?

Mesmer92

In the Parks
No
Also, he's cute (another minus).
Being cute doesn't mean someone is a great man. Ted Bundy was attractive yet he was a serial killer. Josh did great things at WDW but it is naive to think it was all because he is a "good man"; it was all to fabricate this "Man of the People" image. He is not above criticism. Some of y'all need to see a mental health professional about this adoration of Disney Company bigwigs, it's not healthy.

JoeCamel

Being cute doesn't mean someone is a great man. Ted Bundy was attractive yet he was a serial killer. Josh did great things at WDW but it is naive to think it was all because he is a "good man"; it was all to fabricate this "Man of the People" image. He is not above criticism. Some of y'all need to see a mental health professional about this adoration of Disney Company bigwigs, it's not healthy.
He (D'Amaro) wants to keep his job by doing what is required of his position. You think he should stomp out in a fit of virtue?
Try working in a corporation, you think washington has a corner on politics you need to broaden your horizons.

Goofyernmost

Josh should be fired for allowing so many to be terminated so callously.

He’s in charge. The buck stops with him. Who treats their employees like that???
Once again, this isn't a handful of employees this is 28,000 people! I suppose it would be good for the ego if they had taken that "boiler plate" letter and put everyone's name on it separately, but really you are taking personally what is definable business issue with a definable reason other then poor management. How long would it take to personalize every letter. By the time you would get it, it would give you no time to take any action that might be necessary to your survival. I suppose it is nice to think that Disney, or any other company for that matter, owe you a living for absolutely no services received, but reality has to tell you that it is an unrealistic request considering the circumstances. Not only would they have to personalize 28,000 letters but it would be added to 28,000 envelopes as well bringing the total up to 56,000 names and addresses. Postage alone is pushing $28,000. No one is getting laid off until the end of the year, that give two months to at least try and find alternate employment. When you are working, Disney owes you a living wage, when you are not they actually owe you nothing at all. They could legally tell you today to be gone by tomorrow.

MurphyJoe

How long would it take to personalize every letter.

Very quick. The feature is called mail merge and is widely available. Since these letters were sent to personal email addresses it wouldn't have taken any real time to setup the merge to also include their first name. Depending on their database export, they could've also tossed in a line thanking for X years of service and including the exact total from their personnel file.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom