News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

J4546

yeah basically redo the entirety of tomorrowland with a new space mountain as the centerpiece. It will never happen of course but i can dream. I think the entire east side of dl (tomorrowland and the nemo/autopia area) is terrible, esp when you compare it to the west side. And I would love it if they bulldozed all of it and built brand new stuff assuming it was well thought out and good of course because right now its just a giant waste of space to me. and i realize im in the minority here.

J4546

thats cool, i get that its a cherished ride. for the record i also hate small world too.

I think itd be cool if they tore it down and redid it, but dug space mountain down 10-20 feet into the ground, so that from the park and line you wouldnt be able to tell of course, but after the outdoor launch/swooping curve like tron, you go back into the building and the first drop is way bigger than you would have thought. plus all that extra room could possible be used to make the track more flowy and smooth and less cramped like a wild mouse coaster that it is now.

JoeCamel

I have to take exception to your "princess" thing. The first time I took my young niece to DW, she kept looking around asking where the roller coasters were. When I too my nephew at the same age I took my niece the first time, we couldn't get him on RnRC. We didn't even bother with SM.

Roller coasters aren't a boy/girl thing.
I can add that the prince's can't ride either, they are not tall enough. The point is not about the sex of the rider it is that Disney markets to families with young kids. They are not going to build thrill rides for megabucks that their chosen demo cannot ride.
My niece is also a budding coaster fanatic but I agree with both of you. The "princess" thing is very much a Disney construct (and a multi-billion-dollar one at that) but it would be nice for them to branch out a little in their marketing, rather like the gamer industry.
I agree, the Universal ads underscored that point and killed in the market.

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

I can add that the prince's can't ride either, they are not tall enough. The point is not about the sex of the rider it is that Disney markets to families with young kids. They are not going to build thrill rides for megabucks that their chosen demo cannot ride.
Aren’t they doing just that with tron and guardians?

JoeCamel

Aren’t they doing just that with tron and guardians?
Yes but the criticism has been "too short, too tame" and then a call to build something with thrills. Just like mine train they toned the choices down for the demo and I think they made the right decision. Once the kids grow up they can move on, they are not going to come for one semi-thrill ride and a bunch of stuff they have done since they can remember. Nostalgia is a powerful drug but modern WDW really does not instill that.

rle4lunch

The more I see of Tron with its ugly building the more I'm impressed with Velocicoaster. It amazes me how much the Dis defends Tron but puts down Velocicoaster. 🙄
I thought I read somewhere they greenlit tron 3? Maybe they're thinking it'll be a viable IP for 2 rides? I mean, anything they do to the speedway is an improvement over the current iteration.

J4546

you would think they would have at least updated autopia to electric cars by now. but maybe after tron coaster they will update it.

J4546

So you think small world, space mountain, autopia and the subs should all be destroyed?
small world will never go away nor am i saying it should. but nemo and autopia absolutely, they take up so much space and are the 2 worst rides in the park imo. Turn that into a fantasy land expansion ala BatB or Frozen.

EricsBiscuit

Originally they did. Then they realised their mistake and corrected it.

It is. One designed to be seen from the front only. Whoever approved this in this location needs to go back to the Baxter Hench school of design.

I love both films. I love both scores. But attraction issues aside, IMHO this is in the wrong place. And it’s all too apparent.
What matters most is what ppl see from inside the park. Agree to disagree. Btw you know I love and appreciate all you do!

gorillaball

An ideal TRON coaster for Tomorrowland (in my opinion) would be one that races all around the land- intertwined with PeopleMover, Monorail, and pedestrian tracks. I've always loved the multi-level movement of TL, and I think it would be really cool to "theme" the track as another layer of transportation moving about the land.
I hear you, while I wouldn’t want Tron to stretch out more (into the park) I would have loved to double down and had people mover track added in going through the new area somehow.

tirian

I have to take exception to your "princess" thing. The first time I took my young niece to DW, she kept looking around asking where the roller coasters were. When I too my nephew at the same age I took my niece the first time, we couldn't get him on RnRC. We didn't even bother with SM.

Roller coasters aren't a boy/girl thing.
Judging from the post, I think JoeCamel is making fun of the Disney marketing machine, not assuming little girls only want princesses.

Basil of Baker Street

small world will never go away nor am i saying it should. but nemo and autopia absolutely, they take up so much space and are the 2 worst rides in the park imo. Turn that into a fantasy land expansion ala BatB or Frozen.
How the speedway has avoided the chopping block all these years has always baffled me. It takes up a ton of valuable real estate and can't be a good people eater.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom