runDisney Star Wars Events

GimpYancIent

1603228033337.png

LastoneOn

The issue is going to be the regular bottlenecks that are impossible to maintain any degree of social distancing - path from DHS to Boardwalk, backstage areas in Epcot, finish line, etc. I think runDisney will wait until the new year to decide if the races will be on property or switch to virtual. See how the numbers are once flu season commences and the holiday season is over.
Well I kinda sorta believe that a NEW route that eliminates the DHS- Boardwalk "Path of Clog & Suffering" © would be most welcome. Lets just run in the street!

LastoneOn

Again agree. However, though there are some locations where the course does narrow or because of gates there is a brief restriction of space, to me, they are few and spread out. I never felt crowded in any way at any Disney race pre-COVID19. You want to run in a crowd do the New York City marathon, now That Is A Crowd!
Never fond of running through that one part of Sports with the different sidewalk levels, 90 degree corners.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Well I kinda sorta believe that a NEW route that eliminates the DHS- Boardwalk "Path of Clog & Suffering" © would be most welcome. Lets just run in the street!

I'm sure that would add a few miles they'd need to cut elsewhere along the route.

OG Runner

Isn't that only at the last couple of miles now? I watched a video and the race started in the Magic Kingdom parking lot.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Isn't that only at the last couple of miles now? I watched a video and the race started in the Magic Kingdom parking lot.

Yes. I imagine, if the on property races go ahead, all 3 will have different courses than prior years. You've got the switchback in Epcot for the 5k, and the infamous "Path of Clog and Suffering"© between DHS and the Boardwalk for the Half.

LastoneOn

The route changes sometimes. I didn't run any last year, but my wife tried the Dopey and has it all memorized. "At mile 7 there was like this tree and ." I just try to breathe. lol

The halves I've done begun in Epcot. Well, no, the Tower 10 miler we started backstage there at DHS and one year we started out at ESPN. Those were night races. Haven't done the shorter runs so I don't know where they start. Dopey 2022 I guess will be next.

LAKid53

Premium Member
The route changes sometimes. I didn't run any last year, but my wife tried the Dopey and has it all memorized. "At mile 7 there was like this tree and ." I just try to breathe. lol

The halves I've done begun in Epcot. Well, no, the Tower 10 miler we started backstage there at DHS and one year we started out at ESPN. Those were night races. Haven't done the shorter runs so I don't know where they start. Dopey 2022 I guess will be next.

W&D, SW 10Ks and Halfs start in MK (TTC) parking lot.

LastoneOn

W&D, SW 10Ks and Halfs start in MK (TTC) parking lot.
Ah ok We did W&D one year and were out at Sports center. That year was bad lightening and course was shortened. Big cheers. lol SW half we've done at Disneyland once or twice, did something there at WDW, got a coast to coast or kelstle run thing- I'm not sure, i'd have to go look through the medals. My wife would be embarrassed at my poor memory and actually posting this. I won't tell her.

Oh well.
Here's to next year and something to train for!

Surferboy567

If Star Wars goes virtual...and they follow the same timeframe as princess we would know on November 17th.

We were told about virtual Princess 149 days in advance. Assuming the same timeframe is applied here.

Last edited:

Surferboy567

For the record, we were also told about a virtual Wine & Dine 106 days in advance. If they followed this timeframe for Star Wars we would know on December 30th.

EDIT: Funny enough we were also told 106 days in advance for a virtual marathon weekend.

Last edited:

Surferboy567

Another thing I learned tonight, their are 8 weeks between the Fairytale Challenge and Rival Run.

Now how do I know that? I just cut up a Galloway plan into 9 weeks. In the event, Star Wars goes virtual, and I decide to run it. I’ll be using this training plan to train for it.

Basically you start at Galloway Week 11. Train until the Rival Run goes around and you should be ready to go. Reason why in theory you should be able to start at Week 11 is because you are jumping on this plan right AFTER you finish your challenge.

So in theory:

Train on your normal challenge plan like you would until you reach your challenge (in this case Fairytale)

Your challenge (in my case) is Fairytale. The challenge ends on a Sunday.

Pick up with Galloway Week 11, train until Week 18 (the rival run) and follow the plan.

Last edited:

Rteetz

For the record, we were also told about a virtual Wine & Dine 106 days in advance. If they followed this timeframe for Star Wars we would know on December 30th.

EDIT: Funny enough we were also told 106 days in advance for a virtual marathon weekend.
I think this is the timeframe they would go with not 149 days.

Surferboy567

I think this is the timeframe they would go with not 149 days.
The only reason I feel they wouldn’t choose this one is because of it’s proximity to New Years/Holiday Weekend.

They also have to release the runDisney calendar so they may favor the other timeline. Of course, this is all speculation.

EDIT: The fact that both Marathon weekend and Wine & Dine have had the same amount of notice helps the other timeline.

EDIT 2: They also may want to get it out of the way and announce it sooner rather then later.

Last edited:

Rteetz

The only reason I feel they wouldn’t choose this one is because of it’s proximity to New Years/Holiday Weekend.

They also have to release the runDisney calendar so they may favor the other timeline. Of course, this is all speculation.

EDIT: The fact that both Marathon weekend and Wine & Dine have had the same amount of notice helps the other timeline.

EDIT 2: They also may want to get it out of the way and announce it sooner rather then later.
I’m not saying it will be the exact same timeframe as the others but I think it will be later than November 17th.

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes

yeah but I love running from DHS > Boardwalk but it does get congested, especially in the back with walkers.

GimpYancIent

yeah but I love running from DHS > Boardwalk but it does get congested, especially in the back with walkers.
I have absolutely enjoyed every Disney race I have done, sadly one coast is not available anymore, and the courses have had some points where runners need to converge because of narrowness. Though I never felt like things were congested I believe reconfiguring the various courses to flow through wider thoroughfares will result in an even more pleasurable run. There is one tight spot that is too critical to making a race a "Disney" race and that is the run through the castle, that is one irreplaceable component.

LastoneOn

In back, with me you mean! haha If corrals weren't numbered, i'd be in the double digits!
Its a challenge. Fence on one side, gator's and water on the other. That slope on water side will grab you too. Its a nice walk until you have a thousand of your sweaty friends alongside you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom