News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Surferboy567

I certainly agree that DuckTales works as a universal IP. It’s a brief off shoot from Mickey Mouse, with Donald Duck. Scrooge and the Boys are also part of the Mickey Universe. You also have access to Ludwig Von Drake, who came from Wonderful World of Color (the offshoot of the Disneyland show).

I don’t think they want to spend it on Splash.

The problem with Ducktales is that music isn’t an important factor. Which I think should be important on any Splash replacement.

Last edited:

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
The problem with Ducktales is that music isn’t an important factor. Which I think should be important on any Splash replacement.
Simple. Just make a story about finding a lost harmonica or banjo or something. lol
(But I get your meaning. In that regard, PatF is a better fit. But I still don't like it for WDW.)

Brer Oswald

I agree. However, you could make the case that they could create new music. You could also reuse “How Do You Do?” (Cause really, there isn’t anything wrong with that song, nor anything specific you can tie to the existing IP). The PatF music as is doesn’t fit the Florida Ride. They could always re-record it in the Bluegrass style.

Surferboy567

I agree. However, you could make the case that they could create new music. You could also reuse “How Do You Do?” (Cause really, there isn’t anything wrong with that song, nor anything specific you can tie to the existing IP). The PatF music as is doesn’t fit the Florida Ride. They could always re-record it in the Bluegrass style.
I agree with this take as well. They could definitely make music.

Their really isn’t anything wrong with any of the songs in Splash in my opinion.

Now, I kinda want to hear some PATF songs in Bluegrass, just to hear what that sounds like.

Brer Oswald

I agree with this take as well. They could definitely make music.

Their really isn’t anything wrong with any of the songs in Splash in my opinion.

Now, I kinda want to hear some PATF songs in Bluegrass, just to hear what that sounds like.
It would be interesting. If this comes out exactly as they announced, I’d like to see them go the extra mile.

kingdead

Simple. Just make a story about finding a lost harmonica or banjo or something. lol
(But I get your meaning. In that regard, PatF is a better fit. But I still don't like it for WDW.)
Problem is, they've already said it was PatF. Had they not announced that, they could pick from any existing IP to redo the ride. Now if they pick another IP, the message is that stories with black protagonists aren't worth a theme park ride.

Like I said before, log flume rides are fun and people will ride no matter what but there's no reason to make the ride "the one that's supposed to have black people in it" if there's any way to do a decent remake with the announced theme.

(They COULD do that mountain-with-waterfall that Black Panther fights on in Wakanda, I guess... It looks incredibly CGI in the movie so it would be all right to have it look a little cheesy in real life...)

Brer Panther

I remember seeing that the entire retheme was designed to only replace Disneyland's version while nothing for World due to the proximity to New Orleans Square. Maybe that'll be the end result
It'd still suck to lose Disneyland's, but at least the Magic Kingdom's would be spared.
The only candidate for MK's Splash Mountain now is Ducktales.
The DuckTales reboot sucks. Keep it out of Splash Mountain.
MST3K for Star Tours! Just imagine: C3P0 is now replaced by Tom and Crow as they take you through Disney's cheesier movies.
I dunno if I'd WANT this, but it sounds like it would unironically be a lot of fun.

tirian

Welcome to the forums.

Something can be beloved/acclaimed/classic and also have issues that make it a problem for what Disney is trying to do/be. There's been endless discussion about the roots of the song in this thread in the social issues boards.
Meanwhile, if we applied that logic to Splash itself, the attraction should remain the same because its origins and roots go back to traditional African folktales. PATF is a European fairy-tale with a clunky New Orleans overlay.

If Disney replaced Splash with Marc Davis’ Western River Expedition, the majority of fans would be thrilled. We wouldn’t have any of these conversations. ;)

Plus, Marc already adjusted insensitive racial jokes post-1970s. The ride’s plan is ready to be implemented and would be significantly better than anything current WDI would give us.

Last edited:

tirian

Problem is, they've already said it was PatF. Had they not announced that, they could pick from any existing IP to redo the ride. Now if they pick another IP, the message is that stories with black protagonists aren't worth a theme park ride.

Like I said before, log flume rides are fun and people will ride no matter what but there's no reason to make the ride "the one that's supposed to have black people in it" if there's any way to do a decent remake with the announced theme.

(They COULD do that mountain-with-waterfall that Black Panther fights on in Wakanda, I guess... It looks incredibly CGI in the movie so it would be all right to have it look a little cheesy in real life...)
In Frontierland?

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
Meanwhile, if we applied that logic to Splash itself, the attraction should remain the same because its origins and roots go back to traditional African folktales. PATF is a European fairy-tale with a clunky New Orleans overlay.

If Disney replaced Splash with Marc Davis’ Western River Expedition, the majority of fans would be thrilled. We wouldn’t have any of these conversations. ;)
Plus the two concepts could be merge by making Brer Fox and Bear the bandits you see in the rides concept art.

Donaldfan1934

While the winky face makes me think you’re being somewhat sarcastic, I really don’t think it would go down that easy. Despite Western River Expedition being one of, if not the most legendary attraction that never materialized, there would definitely still be mixed emotions from the fandom if it was coming at the cost of Splash.

Although it would be far less controversial from a thematic perspective than PATF and possibly the only potential replacement many including myself would come remotely close to accepting, Splash being widely considered as one of the park’s quintessential classics means some of the conversations we’re having now would be had no matter what. In fact, as long as cancel culture maintained some sort of perceived influence in its demise, I find it hard to believe much would change about these conversations at all.

RSoxNo1

Plus, Marc already adjusted insensitive racial jokes post-1970s. The ride’s plan is ready to be implemented and would be significantly better than anything current WDI would give us.
I've been on board with this from the outset. I am 100% on board with PatF in Disneyland, but feel Western River Expedition would be a far better option for Florida. I'd also welcome a Princess and the Frog attraction elsewhere in the park as a new build.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom