Politics OC Register - Disneyland and Universal Studios ask Newsom not to finalize theme park reopening plans just yet

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

DanielBB8

Disneyland park is closed. Disney, and more specifically their operations in Anaheim, are not.

This is why discourse is dead in politics. How about, as a thought exercise, you try to come up with a solution to help people that doesn't just parrot the idea of just reopening and pretending nothing is wrong. It shouldn't be so hard to compromise.
Reopening isn’t pretending nothing is wrong.

TP2000

You have incredibly poor reading comprehension. A suggestion is not a demand.

I'm also bad at math. I will never be a Rhodes scholar, but I am pretty good at reading English. 🧐

El-super wants Disneyland to send CM's door to door in Santa Ana and west Anaheim to provide "life saving support".
I'm also surprised that Disneyland hasn't seen the writing on the wall and come in to assist with community outreach programs.... Assistance such as mask distribution, test facilitation and even just information campaigns (door to door or via phone) to ensure that Spanish speaking communities in Anaheim and Santa Ana were provided life saving support.

It would have kept some CMs employed and busy and looked much better in the community than whining that they should be allowed to open in a pandemic.

I find that ridiculous. That's not what a private business should be doing with their employees. Disneyland CM's should be working at Disneyland, just like CM's work currently at reopened Disneyland Paris and Walt Disney World. Not doing door to door canvassing passing out free medical supplies and health advice.

LastoneOn

I'm also bad at math. I will never be a Rhodes scholar, but I am pretty good at reading English. 🧐

El-super wants Disneyland to send CM's door to door in Santa Ana and west Anaheim to provide "life saving support".

I find that ridiculous. That's not what a private business should be doing with their employees. Disneyland CM's should be working at Disneyland, just like CM's work currently at reopened Disneyland Paris and Walt Disney World. Not doing door to door canvassing passing out free medical supplies and health advice.
Communists governments force companies to do what gov wants everyday. That's why they're communists. We're arguing with a little coffee clatch of communists who really don't care about Disneyland, its employees, or any person really. They pretend to care but they don't.

The think about communists is that they never admit to any flaws in their ideology and scheme. When things go wrong, that's due to the people not doing enough, not wiling to do the work, not sacrificing themselves for some anonymous other who for some reason isn't expected to sacrifice HIMSELF. Its a shell game.

Anjin

Original Poster
There actually is something that Disney can do and it's something that Walt himself has been invoked with in the past: propaganda. In WWII, Disney created a number of films to convince people to support the war effort. Disney could do the same, to convince people to work together to overcome our current enemy.

lazyboy97o

Communists governments force companies to do what gov wants everyday. That's why they're communists. We're arguing with a little coffee clatch of communists who really don't care about Disneyland, its employees, or any person really. They pretend to care but they don't.

The think about communists is that they never admit to any flaws in their ideology and scheme. When things go wrong, that's due to the people not doing enough, not wiling to do the work, not sacrificing themselves for some anonymous other who for some reason isn't expected to sacrifice HIMSELF. Its a shell game.
I make Ron Swanson look like a communist, but do go on with the nonsense name calling.

lazyboy97o

There actually is something that Disney can do and it's something that Walt himself has been invoked with in the past: propaganda. In WWII, Disney created a number of films to convince people to support the war effort. Disney could do the same, to convince people to work together to overcome our current enemy.
Nope. Only communists think companies should voluntarily engage in activities that will help with pandemic.

Lilofan

Because its an independent charted government unit with various authority and powers and elected officials and wishes to retain its rights of governance and ability to shape its county based on its residents desires, instead of being discriminated against because they disagree with the governor who is relying on "emergency powers" to force his political ideology onto the state citizens without their vote for such things?

Here's a glimpse of what happens to people who won't or can't just "do the work"
Mao, A Great Leap Forward, 45 million killed
Hitler, 70-85 million
Stalin, 20 - 60 million
Pol Pot in Cambodia 1.7 million
North Korea 3 million
Ethiopia 2 million

So go along or die??

I'm probably wrong. No worries.
You really need to rephrase some of your wording. But you being a new member I understand.

el_super

I honestly am not trying to pick on you personally, but I simply marvel at the lengths to which private businesses are supposed to go to in your perspective, aside from just offering the quality goods or services they are designed to offer.

Wow ok... maybe you really don't understand how Disneyland works. This isn't a radically new idea, and it's something that Disney has done for 30 years. Maybe you should read up on Disney's community involvement activities in Anaheim. Disney has spent millions of dollars supporting community activities in the City of Anaheim, or as they put it: "Through various programs, donations, and events, the Disneyland Resort supports the city of Anaheim in providing opportunities for residents to learn, play, achieve and thrive."

They have spent millions supporting community activities in Anaheim. So how exactly would it be any different if they spent some money to promote public health guidance? Provided some fliers or documents to pass around hard-hit neighborhoods in Anaheim? Explained the importance of getting tested and staying socially distant. Maybe passed out free masks? They already gave returning Cast Members a bag that included hand-sanitizer, masks and a thermometer. Why would it be that out of line to extend that to their neighbors?

Not only does it continue the story of Disneyland being a positive force in the community, but maybe if people actually took what they did to heart, Disneyland might actually be able to open sooner than next year. It's really a win-win for the community and Disneyland. How on earth could anyone be against it?

I know you will disagree with me, but I don't want to live in that world.

You already do.

el_super

I think I agree, since this also seems like a prefect example of the OC leadership expecting Disneyland to open. Expecting others to sacrifice their health and safety all in the name of community economic well-being.

el_super

There's a certain naivety in continually pushing the singular idea that all problems would be solved by Disneyland reopening.

You may remember that I said, back in June that reopening itself wasn't the hard part. That was echoing something I tried to community back in March: the return to normal will not happen until people feel safe to return to normal, and that is just as much about public perceptions as it is shelter-in-place orders. If people don't feel safe to travel, they will not travel, regardless of what is or is not open.

The perfect example of this now is Walt Disney World, where, with a 'business-friendly' government they are operating with no restrictions imposed on them. That push to be 'business-friendly' and put the economy first, has overall hurt Florida's image as being safe for tourists. WDW is operating at a fraction of their available capacity due to the lack of tourism in the state. They have laid off more people in Florida than they have at Disneyland.

The same will happen at Disneyland if people do not feel it is safe to return. Thankfully, the state's stringent guidelines for reopening promote a sense of taking this virus seriously and promoting safety over reopening. That is the key to maintaining the image as a safe travel destination and will be the key to continuing to attract out-of-state and international travelers in the future. People have to feel safe in order to return to Disneyland.

Waving a wand to remove restrictions does absolutely nothing to make people feel more safe and will do absolutely nothing to help Disneyland return to normal. There has to be more done, at the community level, to promote health and safety. Only after people feel we are taking this seriously, can they consider returning as a tourist.

GimpYancIent

Other things to keep in mind are:

People are not speanding as much money as they used to (due to fear of job loss)

Going to another state requires a 2 week quarantine in most jobs. Most people don't have that amount of time off.

I don't think it's about Florida being seen as unsafe by any means. No outbreaks have been linked to Disneyworld or Universal.

Whether Disneyland reopened in July 2020, or July 2022, there are always gonna be people uncomfortable with it post pandemic. I don't think people believe Florida is unsafe, but I do think people will be uncomfortable with traveling (for leisure) for many years.
Excellent, correct! Captn EO you hit it on the head. No sensationalism, no graphs, no charts, no conflicted volumes of data. Just some common sense. No this is a refreshing post.

el_super

I don't think it's about Florida being seen as unsafe by any means. No outbreaks have been linked to Disneyworld or Universal.

Not directly, but that's only because the state has really refused to explore the matter with any depth. The lack of support at the state level, and the cavalier attitude toward supporting it, has continually kept Florida in the news as one of the hardest hit COVID hot spots. That kind of news tends to drown out any tourism messages trying to be put out.

I do think you're generally right that tourism will just be down for awhile no matter what.

California is slightly different, especially for Disneyland, since so much of their audience is locals and at least for now, the locals are strongly supportive of the actions being done to control the virus. So convincing people that it's safe to return to Disneyland is also trying to convince people that their opinions and expectations are wrong, which would be exceptionally hard to do from a PR standpoint. That's why (so far) Disney has been losing the PR battle in reopening.

LastoneOn

You really need to rephrase some of your wording. But you being a new member I understand.
Dear kind sir, I must most vehemently disagree with your assertion that my phraseology is in some way in need of modification. There are moments, and the example you have cited being one of those moments, when the situation calls forth a requirement for creativity and a banishment of convention. Being a long time visitor of this forum I have myself experienced as a reader an enormous variety of prose, a variety of course that one must accept as this forum is composed, one can only assume for one has no direct knowledge of the user base, of a variety of individual human beings each with their own level of educational accomplishment, understanding and comprehension of English, English being the chosen language of this forum, and each with their own unique writing and general communication styles.

Could be worse. Ulysses has a 4300+ word sentence.

And we're just talking, having fun. If we can't poke at each other a bit then why play :)

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Other things to keep in mind are:

People are not speanding as much money as they used to (due to fear of job loss)

Going to another state requires a 2 week quarantine in most jobs. Most people don't have that amount of time off.

Whether Disneyland reopened in July 2020, or July 2022, there are always gonna be people uncomfortable with it post pandemic. I don't think people believe Florida is unsafe, but I do think people will be uncomfortable with traveling (for leisure) for many years.
People stopped traveling before any restrictions. Job losses are not across the board and some industries are booming. Those people are still not traveling.

Businesses restricting employees’ personal travel is a huge example of people being concerned and voluntarily acting. Many companies are still working from home and a quarantine requirement doesn’t mean much if you have to spend two weeks working from home when you would otherwise be working from home. It’s also not just personal travel. Companies have massively cut back on business travel and it’s not just a result of cost cutting.

cmwade77

Youre right that the news angle right now is totally against Florida's favor, but its important that like you said, to acknowledge that the entire travel industry is going to be low for a few years at least.

I would have to disagree about thinking locals are into these closures. I know people on all areas of the political spectrum, none of which seem happy with business closures. No one's going to want to do leisure trips period, but I think people are pro reopening, even if they dont wish to attend themselves.

Now that we have colder weather again and rates are going up, I do see support waning for reopening places.
Don't say no one wants to do leisure trips, many of us do and are doing them. Now that isn't to say that you be stupid about them, but it is quite possible to do so safely.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom