Politics OC Register - Disneyland and Universal Studios ask Newsom not to finalize theme park reopening plans just yet

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

LastoneOn

Actually the more I think about it, this way would make more sense, yet to the general population, I think it makes more sense to open smaller parks.
yeah perceptions are weird but we all do it but density is density 1 person every 6 ft is one person every 6 feet and nothing is going to stop them from sometimes getting closer to together (and 6 ft isn't magic, but we'll ignore that). Small park big park small field big field density is density

LastoneOn

It really depends which way it goes. Of course, as I mentioned before, it also depends what way this lawsuit goes:

Based on this, I think the theme park guidelines coming out tomorrow are mostly because of the unions, but is also being used as a political stunt and trying to find some way to try to come up with a defense that Newsom doesn't have.

No matter what, the next two weeks are going to be interesting for a variety of reasons. Again, if the trial has the fourth outcome, all of the state of emergency goes away. Of course Newsom will file for a stay of ruling while he appeals, but hopefully the supreme court would uphold the ruling as well. So it wouldn't result in an immediate reopening, but in a relative quick reopening of everything if it went that way.
There was a recent case in NY state court. The NYC had gone after an organization using city council dictates, for lack of better description. Organization sued in court saying council didn't have authority, had over reached and was guilty of malice, something like that. Just as the thing was going to trial the council rescinded their dictates, effectively said "nothing to see here" and wants the case dismissed. they were going to lose, so they've tried to back track and pretend they didn't trample this organization's rights. But the trampling happened, can't change that. so maybe governor wants to declare victory before he gets defeated and wash it all away. better than a Loss in his column.

Bear550

That's what one of the people I follow on twitter thinks as well. He's noticed a trend that newsome gives a little each time. So he might start small and gradually open to bigger.
Yep, he never specifically said that he would give all park guidelines today. Good thing we don’t have to wait too long to find out!

cmwade77

There was a recent case in NY state court. The NYC had gone after an organization using city council dictates, for lack of better description. Organization sued in court saying council didn't have authority, had over reached and was guilty of malice, something like that. Just as the thing was going to trial the council rescinded their dictates, effectively said "nothing to see here" and wants the case dismissed. they were going to lose, so they've tried to back track and pretend they didn't trample this organization's rights. But the trampling happened, can't change that. so maybe governor wants to declare victory before he gets defeated and wash it all away. better than a Loss in his column.
The only way Newsom eliminates it is to abandon his one man rule, otherwise these guys are going to go all out pursuing it and considering it goes to trial tomorrow, it doesn't look like anything is going to stop the trial at this point.

cmwade77

Yep, he never specifically said that he would give all park guidelines today. Good thing we don’t have to wait too long to find out!
Yeah and it is also possible that larger parks will be issued first because smaller parks can't implement safety protocols as well. Honestly, I think it is a toss up at this point, we should find out around noon today.

el_super

Yeah and it is also possible that larger parks will be issued first because smaller parks can't implement safety protocols as well. Honestly, I think it is a toss up at this point, we should find out around noon today.

Maybe we can finally settle this confusion over whether the issue is the parks themselves or the wider implication of tourist destinations in general.

Within the context of thinking that it's the inherent safety of the parks themselves (requiring masks, socially distancing, putting plexiglass dividers on all attractions, enforcing mobile ordering, etc.), it certainly seems silly that they would still be closed. I don't think that's what the issue is though. I think the broader issue is how the parks are attracting people from out of state or from other counties and congregating them in one place. People here have failed to understand the broader implications of having Disneyland open and solely focused on the internal safety of the park, much to their own frustrations.

It makes sense, in the broader perspective, that an amusement park or traveling show in Humboldt county could reopen, since very few people are going to travel from out of that area to see it and it would not encourage many additional interactions that you aren't already seeing in that county. It doesn't make sense to open Disneyland, if it ends up encouraging people from Arizona, Texas and Nevada to come into California. Even if the parks are "safe" they would still be walking the streets, interacting with people and potentially start a new spread of the virus.

The real question, as other have suggested, is whether the mid-sized parks like Knott's and Great America would fall on one side or the other. Personally, I am far more comfortable with the idea of Knott's reopening, since I know their weekday attendance at this time of year is typically smaller than what Downtown Disney is capped at currently. Knott's, by itself, operates much closer to a regional park that shouldn't attract too many tourists from out of the area. The problem is though, that if Knott's is the only game in town... that could change.

GimpYancIent

NY / NYC is not CALI. Only similarity two dictators run them.

Emmanuel

Larger parks (ex Disneyland) can’t open until the yellow tier is reached in that county. 25% capacity

Smaller parks can reopen in the orange tier. Ticket sales restricted to residents within the county.

All Parks must have reservation systems, face covering mandate and health screening in advance

The 120 mile radius thing for admission that was said in the draft guidelines has been transferred to the stadiums

fctiger

It sounds like most of the guidelines is what we heard leaked weeks ago from Fresh Baked, especially being in the yellow tier. The only one that sounds different is that the 120 mile rule applies to sporting events.

Doesn't sound great, especially given that NONE of the theme parks in the SoCal area is anywhere close to being in the yellow tier. The only counties that is in that now are the ones with tiny populations. USH may just have to call it a day for a long while since L.A. county is in terrible shape.

I suspect DLR will open sometime post winter in 2021 now the earliest. It's no way anything is changing now, especially as winter comes and will probably make things worse for awhile. But this park may now be closed for a full year at the rate things are going. Wow! Obviously hope to be very wrong.

LastoneOn

I apologize for having to correct you, but it "used to be" a great state. Let me repeat that with the emphasis it used to be.
Oh well, everyplace has its problems. There are still a lot of good things there in my outsider opinion, and a lot of fine people - including a couple of relatives - that are tremendously loyal, warts and all. So I have respect for that. I feel the same way about where I live.

Disstevefan1

I just saw the latest guidelines from the governor of CA for opening the theme parks in CA.... forgetaboutit... it going to be months before Disneyland and Universal Hollywood will be allowed to re open.... Very Bad!

RollerCoaster

I just saw the latest guidelines from the governor of CA for opening the theme parks in CA.... forgetaboutit... it going to be months before Disneyland and Universal Hollywood will be allowed to re open.... Very Bad!

Months? It likely will be longer than year. The fact that Dictator Newsom decided that the state must review any vaccines before any of the residents of the state will be permitted to obtain it basically means that COVID-19 will continue to be an issue in California for a lot longer than other places. This means parks will remain closed and more people will die in California than other states because of their initial rejection of any vaccines that become available.

LastoneOn

el_super

Why doesn’t Orange County just do the work?

As much as it is Orange County's responsibility to care for their citizens, I'm also surprised that Disneyland hasn't seen the writing on the wall and come in to assist with community outreach programs. Disneyland had the programs (Disney VoluntEars) and government relations contacts to facilitate programs providing community assistance with COVID containment. Assistance such as mask distribution, test facilitation and even just information campaigns (door to door or via phone) to ensure that Spanish speaking communities in Anaheim and Santa Ana were provided life saving support.

It would have kept some CMs employed and busy and looked much better in the community than whining that they should be allowed to open in a pandemic. I have such a hard time understanding why they wasted years and years of positive community influence here. Looks even worse now that they are spending so much money to influence the Anaheim City Council races. Pretty sad.

GimpYancIent

Pretty much had to write that didn't he. By the way, several of the threads were moved to politics forum and even at 145 messages i'm not allowed to post there. As Sun Tzu wrote "in death ground, fight" Might as well go down fighting.
Or
1603377489836.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom