News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

UNCgolf

I honestly don't get this ride. It's not big/thrilling enough to attract coaster enthusiasts, but it also doesn't really tell a story and it's incredibly short. Even the design itself takes you out of whatever story it might have when you exit the building out into Tomorrowland.

Who is the real target audience beyond "oh look they actually built a new ride!"?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I honestly don't get this ride. It's not big/thrilling enough to attract coaster enthusiasts, but it also doesn't really tell a story and it's incredibly short. Even the design itself takes you out of whatever story it might have when you exit the building out into Tomorrowland.

Who is the real target audience beyond "oh look they actually built a new ride!"?

"Families."

Marc Davis Fan

I went on this ride in Shanghai, and... I honestly don't get it, either.

It's fun enough, but it's nothing noteworthy in terms of storytelling, or effects, or thrills. So, it has no truly standout features.

I think it will be generally well-received (apart from complaints about its length) because it presents itself as something big and spectacular. As a result, and at risk of sounding theme-park-elitist: I think less-discerning guests will conflate that smoke-and-mirrors with the perception of it actually being high-quality.

On the other hand, there are theme park enthusiasts and roller coaster enthusiasts who swear by this attraction. And based on their descriptions, they experienced something greater than the sum of its parts - perhaps something that just didn't happen to resonate with me personally.

So, for anyone who hasn't been on it, try to ride it with an open mind (and hopefully in the back at night), and you might be surprised...

Bocabear

I went on this ride in Shanghai, and... I honestly don't get it, either.

It's fun enough, but it's nothing noteworthy in terms of storytelling, or effects, or thrills. So, it has no truly standout features.

I think it will be generally well-received (apart from complaints about its length) because it presents itself as something big and spectacular. As a result, and at risk of sounding theme-park-elitist: I think less-discerning guests will conflate that smoke-and-mirrors with the perception of it actually being high-quality.

On the other hand, there are theme park enthusiasts and roller coaster enthusiasts who swear by this attraction. And based on their descriptions, they experienced something greater than the sum of its parts - perhaps something that just didn't happen to resonate with me personally.

So, for anyone who hasn't been on it, try to ride it with an open mind (and hopefully in the back at night), and you might be surprised...
i got the obvious pretty lights and set pieces ...but not much else...and yes the outdoor section ruins the whole continuity of the ride... and because it splits the ride into three parts, the overall experience feels shorter... definitely less thrilling than Rock N Rollercoaster, but a lot prettier sets. Seems like for the cost of the ride they could have built something a bit longer and made it truly great... instead of another "cliff notes" type experience.

Brer Panther

What do you think the odds are of Tron never even being completed? Like, they let it stand there unfinished for years and it becomes something people point at and say "they should do something with that space" like the Fantasyland Skyway station used to be?

doctornick

i got the obvious pretty lights and set pieces ...but not much else...and yes the outdoor section ruins the whole continuity of the ride... and because it splits the ride into three parts, the overall experience feels shorter... definitely less thrilling than Rock N Rollercoaster, but a lot prettier sets. Seems like for the cost of the ride they could have built something a bit longer and made it truly great... instead of another "cliff notes" type experience.

I think a better option would have been adding a second track and doing a blue and a yellow track that race against each other (think Matterhorn) at times. Double the capacity and would not double the cost as their would be shared infrastructure. and if the two tracks were made somewhat differently in course, it could also sort of function as two experiences in one.

_caleb

I agree that it seems like they could have done more with TRON (whether by adding more story, thrills, or whatever).

But I see it as sort of like the PeopleMover, Rocket Rods, Rocket Jets/Astro Orbiter/Star Jets, Jet Packs, Speedway/Autopia, etc. Not much story on any of those, just fun, visible motion, and maybe some pretty lights? Maybe I'm missing something?

corran horn

I agree that it seems like they could have done more with TRON (whether by adding more story, thrills, or whatever).

But I see it as sort of like the PeopleMover, Rocket Rods, Rocket Jets/Astro Orbiter/Star Jets, Jet Packs, Speedway/Autopia, etc. Not much story on any of those, just fun, visible motion, and maybe some pretty lights? Maybe I'm missing something?
That sounds suspiciously like you're saying not every new thing has to be everyone's favorite thing.

TRON will be somebody's favorite ride. It'll blow them away. And that's great.

Marc Davis Fan

i got the obvious pretty lights and set pieces ...but not much else...and yes the outdoor section ruins the whole continuity of the ride... Seems like for the cost of the ride they could have built something a bit longer and made it truly great... instead of another "cliff notes" type experience.

Yep, The Magic Kingdom has gotten shortchanged twice now in terms of recent major additions (and more specifically roller coasters). TRON basically suffers from the same main problem as 7DMT. Both had the potential to be great, if only they were a little longer and had a little more stuff going on. Imagine, for instance, if Tron had cut the outside portion (which as you said messes up the continuity/immersion), and instead spent that money into multiple launches and other effects...

@_caleb I think the issue is that the attractions you listed aren't intended to be e-tickets (well, Rocket Rods, but...). Also, unfortunately, Tron's outdoor visible motion actually detracts from the thematic integrity of the area (IMHO), because it features a "naked" roller coaster track.

But despite these drawbacks, I'd still count Tron as a net gain. It's fun (especially in the back at night), and the canopy is cool-looking. The problem is mainly just that The Magic Kingdom will still be in need of a true e-ticket to continue staying ahead of (or keeping up with!) the competition.

Absimilliard

Yep, The Magic Kingdom has gotten shortchanged twice now in terms of recent major additions (and more specifically roller coasters). TRON basically suffers from the same main problem as 7DMT. Both had the potential to be great, if only they were a little longer and had a little more stuff going on. Imagine, for instance, if Tron had cut the outside portion (which as you said messes up the continuity/immersion), and instead spent that money into multiple launches and other effects...

@_caleb I think the issue is that the attractions you listed aren't intended to be e-tickets (well, Rocket Rods, but...). Also, unfortunately, Tron's outdoor visible motion actually detracts from the thematic integrity of the area (IMHO), because it features a "naked" roller coaster track.

But despite these drawbacks, I'd still count Tron as a net gain. It's fun (especially in the back at night), and the canopy is cool-looking. The problem is mainly just that The Magic Kingdom will still be in need of a true e-ticket to continue staying ahead of (or keeping up with!) the competition.

Seven Dwarves Mine Train and Slinky Dog Dash at WDW suffers from the same issue: miscast rides that were given to guests starving for anything new.

I've come to peace with Seven Dwarves Mine Train flaws since it was slotted at Shanghai Disneyland to be the replacement for a Barnstormer/Gadget Go Coaster there. 1100-1200 pph, 1.5-2 minutes long, pretty visually and gave the park a roller coaster for young kids they won't feel too intimidated with. Unfortunately, in Shanghai Disneyland, Voyage to the Crystal Grotto that was meant to be the headliner turned out to be a flop, leaving Seven Dwarves Mine Train, Winnie the Pooh and Peter Pan Flight as 3 good support acts with no superstar headliner to main event Fantasyland. Zootopia hopefully will become the superstar, restoring balance to the middle of the park.

Over at the Magic Kingdom, Seven Dwarves Mine Train was a late replacement for the middle of New Fantasyland. With Little Mermaid turning out to be a flop on both coasts (sounds familiar?), Seven Dwarves was again the support player thrown to the main act with none of the tools to be successful. Capacity is too low, the ride feels too short and the cars not adapted to the US market. With the lack of quality ride additions to the Magic Kingdom dating back to the 1990's, guests crushed the ride capacity and the endless lines and impossible to get fast pass ruins what is a cute little family coaster.

For TRON, capacity won't be as much of an issue as while it also has an 1100-1200 pph capacity, the target market is narrower with its 48" height restriction and rather intimidating (to the average WDW guests) outdoor portion. Style and theming wise, it harkens back to the simpler WED way of storytelling: no need for an elaborate 3 minutes preshow. The style, short video playing in the queue and theming convey the story, similar to a Pirates or classic Haunted Mansion.

TrainsOfDisney

The style, short video playing in the queue and theming convey the story, similar to a Pirates or classic Haunted Mansion.
I met an imagineer who worked on that video, he was at the D23 by the bike and costumes. He said he was looking forward to riding it in Florida since he hadn’t been to Shanghai. Prior to working at wdi he was an animator at Pixar.

Brer Panther

Incredibly low.
Yeah, you're probably right. But with Disney, you never know.
replacement for the middle of New Fantasyland.
Yeah, originally that space was gonna be a bunch of princess meet-and-greets and a Pixie Hollow thing. Call me crazy, but I think getting Seven Dwarfs Mine Train instead of that was a good thing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom