News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

TrainsOfDisney

How much money would have been saved to just build it outdoors where the speedway is? Make the supports look like futuristic buildings and line them all with LED panels so they can come alive at night. Heck, the led panels could be themed for Halloween and Christmas parties too.

Just seems like a total waste of money unless the indoor portion has a wow factor that I’m not hearing from people who have ridden it.

ppete1975

as excited about tron as i am...

Much more important to me is i just hope they dont delay the train any more and fix the people mover... looks like she could use a paint job as well :)

1603305368964.png

Bocabear

The indoor portion of the ride looks pretty amazing, and to do a ride about being in "THE GRID" it really has to be done indoors. The actually baffling thing abut the ride is the exterior portion... Beyond looking cool for people waiting in line and showing off the really cool trains, the outdoor section does nothing for the rider but take you OUT of the moment... If it had been a sprawling futuristic GRID city like in the original movie...that the speedway also snaked through as well as the queue on an elevated walkway, it would have worked better... Of course, that would have been more building to hide too.

Movielover

the trim brakes hit hard at the top of the hill just inside the building
Slight correction. Those are not trim brakes. Trim brakes simply slow the speed of a train slightly before a potentially high G element. These are block brakes that separate trains into individual sections that can be safety monitored. Only 1 train can occupy a block at a time. This helps monitor where each train is and more importantly can fully stop every train in case of a emergency. The more block brakes you have, the more trains and capacity can be run on the coaster. Yes during normal operation they will slightly decrease the speed but they are required for the safe operation of the ride. Are they annoying? Yes. Could they have been better integrated into the ride like RRC's blocks? Yes. but without them the wait for this ride would be even longer than what it will be.

wdw71fan

APs aren't as important as they think they are perhaps. And I say that as a long-time one who was also a local for years.

Loosely speaking, APs are fans that by-and-large will remain regardless of new content being pushed out.. Some of them are more reasonable and understand the deliberate delays. At the end of the day, this isn't as much a cost savings measure, as it is a 'hedging your new attractions on the brighter future' moment.

Ratatouille is likely not opening until after the holidays, and only if the covid world gets better.. Same situation as the rest, just happens to be further along in the process.

JoeCamel

APs aren't as important as they think they are perhaps. And I say that as a long-time one who was also a local for years.

Loosely speaking, APs are fans that by-and-large will remain regardless of new content being pushed out.. Some of them are more reasonable and understand the deliberate delays. At the end of the day, this isn't as much a cost savings measure, as it is a 'hedging your new attractions on the brighter future' moment.

Ratatouille is likely not opening until after the holidays, and only if the covid world gets better.. Same situation as the rest, just happens to be further along in the process.
WDW would really like to trim the number of APs they have. While I think there will be a major restructuring of the pass schedules it remains that WDW is an onsite focused money machine. They make much more from the people that stay a week than from a once a week/month AP holder.
Their memory is retired now how the APs saved their butts around 9/11 but this isn't just about air travel this time and any who were with the company then are out the door or on their way out.

ppete1975

WDW would really like to trim the number of APs they have. While I think there will be a major restructuring of the pass schedules it remains that WDW is an onsite focused money machine. They make much more from the people that stay a week than from a once a week/month AP holder.
Their memory is retired now how the APs saved their butts around 9/11 but this isn't just about air travel this time and any who were with the company then are out the door or on their way out.
i thought the same thing before covid, but recent history proves that they are relying on the APs with covid. Special shops only open to APs, merchandise only for APs and the 30% discount. Honestly if i fly there pay for a hotel and tickets for the park, im a bit ed off that APs are getting so much that i wont get, especially the stores and 30 percent discount.

UNCgolf

That’s incorrect. They may make more in one week, but not in lifetime value of the customer.

That math really only works if there aren't constantly new people coming in to fill that one week spot.

I'm sure they make more money off someone who has an AP for 5 years than they do from someone who comes for one week twice in those 5 years, but the AP holder almost certainly doesn't make more money for them than the 52 people who come for one week each week of the year.

It doesn't really matter as long as AP holders aren't blocking other people from the parks, but it becomes an issue if they are. As long as demand is high overall, they don't care about AP holders. When it's not high, they're incredibly important.

JoeCamel

That’s incorrect. They may make more in one week, but not in lifetime value of the customer.
I'm not convinced they are long term thinkers here.
I do agree they have at least acknowledged the APs they do have during the pandemic. Up until now they have treated them like a necessary evil/walking wallet but really trimmed the perks during my years as a passholder.

TrainsOfDisney

That math really only works if there weren't constantly new people coming in to fill that one week spot.

I'm sure they make more money off someone who has an AP for 5 years than they do from someone who comes for one week twice in those 5 years, but the AP holder almost certainly doesn't make more money for them than the 52 people who come for one week each week of the year.

It doesn't really matter as long as AP holders aren't blocking other people from the parks, but it becomes an issue if they are.
I’ve worked with quite a few successful business leaders and none of them have ever used that logic. The goal is always to focus on the Customer Lifetime Value. The very idea that Chapek doesn’t seem to understand this should be a huge cause for concern.

Certainly this is off topic of tron though. I loved the idea that someone mentioned of tron leaving the show building and interacting with a rebuilt modern speedway that wrapped around futuristic grid like buildings. Now THAT would be something I was super excited about. Not the same exact curve we have on Everest and Snow White Mine.

techgeek

I’ve worked with quite a few successful business leaders and none of them have ever used that logic. The goal is always to focus on the Customer Lifetime Value. The very idea that Chapek doesn’t seem to understand this should be a huge cause for concern.

The problem is ‘Customer lifetime value’ isn’t a compatible concept with ‘Blue ocean’ (or, more specifically, whatever misinterpretation of ‘blue ocean’ they’ve invented for themselves...)

Absimilliard

Slight correction. Those are not trim brakes. Trim brakes simply slow the speed of a train slightly before a potentially high G element. These are block brakes that separate trains into individual sections that can be safety monitored. Only 1 train can occupy a block at a time. This helps monitor where each train is and more importantly can fully stop every train in case of a emergency. The more block brakes you have, the more trains and capacity can be run on the coaster. Yes during normal operation they will slightly decrease the speed but they are required for the safe operation of the ride. Are they annoying? Yes. Could they have been better integrated into the ride like RRC's blocks? Yes. but without them the wait for this ride would be even longer than what it will be.

Mostly incorrect. The trim brake definition you use was told in old tv shows, but in reality, trim brakes can be placed anywhere.

In the case of TRON, the ride use two kinds of brakes, pusher tires to move the trains around the stations, pre launch and after final slow. Linear Synchronous Motors (LSM) launch the trains. a departure from earlier Vekoma Motorbike Coaster that used an hydraulic launch system connected to a cable and sled that attached to the train.

On each train, permanent magnets are mounted in pairs under the cars. When in the launch section, LSM's are mounted to go in between the magnets, with this effect: when launching the train: the LSM's change polarity rapidly, repulsing the magnets mounted on the cars, which in effect launch the train. One unique trick that Vekoma programmed into TRON: the last section of LSM's is programmed to give a last second "oomph", to simulate a motorcycle changing gear and accelerating. What happens if the launch misfires? The train rolls backward out of the first high curve and the LSM's in their natural state will slow the train down until it returns to the launch position.

Once the train hits the first block brake, high in the air after going outside, metal fins are mounted on the block brake and placed to slow the train down smoothly and silently. Some of the metal fins are mounted on pneumatic cylinders to move in and out of the way depending on what amount of braking is required.

As the magnetic brakes and fins can't stop a train, at the launch start, on the block brakes, stations and where a train needs to stop, traditional pneumatic brakes are mounted, which grabs a metal fin placed under each car in the middle. The pair of pusher tires also grab that fin. Going back to the misfire and train rolling backward into the launch area scenario, pneumatic brakes are placed in sufficient amount to stop the train. Also, the next train can't enter the launch position until the previous train has cleared the first high curve.

Roller Coaster Dream from China posted this great track nerd video where the camera is pointed at the track with a light, showing all the hidden mechanics. I had the chance to do a backstage tour during IAAPA Asia Expo last year at Shanghai Disneyland and my group went behind the scenes at TRON.

sedati

I'm hoping the queue will finally grant us an unobstructed (in park) view of Space Mountain though it seems it will be of its less attractive backside.

Movielover

Mostly incorrect. The trim brake definition you use was told in old tv shows, but in reality, trim brakes can be placed anywhere.

In the case of TRON, the ride use two kinds of brakes, pusher tires to move the trains around the stations, pre launch and after final slow. Linear Synchronous Motors (LSM) launch the trains. a departure from earlier Vekoma Motorbike Coaster that used an hydraulic launch system connected to a cable and sled that attached to the train.

On each train, permanent magnets are mounted in pairs under the cars. When in the launch section, LSM's are mounted to go in between the magnets, with this effect: when launching the train: the LSM's change polarity rapidly, repulsing the magnets mounted on the cars, which in effect launch the train. One unique trick that Vekoma programmed into TRON: the last section of LSM's is programmed to give a last second "oomph", to simulate a motorcycle changing gear and accelerating. What happens if the launch misfires? The train rolls backward out of the first high curve and the LSM's in their natural state will slow the train down until it returns to the launch position.

Once the train hits the first block brake, high in the air after going outside, metal fins are mounted on the block brake and placed to slow the train down smoothly and silently. Some of the metal fins are mounted on pneumatic cylinders to move in and out of the way depending on what amount of braking is required.

As the magnetic brakes and fins can't stop a train, at the launch start, on the block brakes, stations and where a train needs to stop, traditional pneumatic brakes are mounted, which grabs a metal fin placed under each car in the middle. The pair of pusher tires also grab that fin. Going back to the misfire and train rolling backward into the launch area scenario, pneumatic brakes are placed in sufficient amount to stop the train. Also, the next train can't enter the launch position until the previous train has cleared the first high curve.

Roller Coaster Dream from China posted this great track nerd video where the camera is pointed at the track with a light, showing all the hidden mechanics. I had the chance to do a backstage tour during IAAPA Asia Expo last year at Shanghai Disneyland and my group went behind the scenes at TRON.

Yeah I was just describing the difference between block and trim brakes there buddy...

And yeah trim brakes can be place anywhere but are usually found before a major G force element.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom