Our photo was sent to us- creepy......

Goofyernmost

"I wonder why anyone would find the name thing creepy? They have been doing that at Universal on the ET ride since it opened."

Most people don't base their emotional reactions on whether something exists someplace else.
Come on, we all base our emotional reactions on whatever we have experienced in life. So I have to disagree, unless we have no memory we do, indeed base our reactions on if someone experienced something that exists someplace else. How else does one judge anything? This isn't death of a loved one, it's the existence of a technical situation which really should have no emotional connection at all other than recollection of past events. Negative reactions, other then core emotions, are usually based on lack of knowledge of how things work.

TrainsOfDisney

Ah, StoryMaker, the ride feature the comes and goes and was never announced by Disney as being a thing that exists.
If we only knew how much money went into those and other projects.... could have at least paid for the Mary Poppins Carousel!

LastoneOn

Come on, we all base our emotional reactions on whatever we have experienced in life.
You don't really understand what I wrote, and tag it in a way that's just wrong. You're sentence here is a distortion.

Let me put in another way: Your "Universal does it" reason they shouldn't find it creepy is b.s. Plain enough for you?

Goofyernmost

You don't really understand what I wrote, and tag it in a way that's just wrong. You're sentence here is a distortion.

Let me put in another way: Your "Universal does it" reason they shouldn't find it creepy is b.s. Plain enough for you?
I know that is what your saying, however, it still doesn't make it creepy to anyone but you. Plain enough for you???

mf1972

you think that’s creepy...wait until the ghosts follow you home from the haunted mansion 🤪
9D5CDF46-4BDB-4C3E-9439-4BC38608D8B7.gif

LastoneOn

I know that is what your saying, however, it still doesn't make it creepy to anyone but you. Plain enough for you???

Well, I responded to this:
I wonder why anyone would find the name thing creepy? They have been doing that at Universal on the ET ride since it opened. I always thought it was fun.

Your reason NOBODY should find it creepy "They have been doing that at Universal..." is b.s.

And you portrayed my response this way:
Come on, we all base our emotional reactions on whatever we have experienced in life. So I have to disagree, unless we have no memory we do, indeed base our reactions on if someone experienced something that exists someplace else. How else does one judge anything? This isn't death of a loved one, it's the existence of a technical situation which really should have no emotional connection at all other than recollection of past events. Negative reactions, other then core emotions, are usually based on lack of knowledge of how things work.

I never said we DON'T base our emotions on what we experience. What crap. Nobody was arguing that. And judgement? Maybe you take your cues from how others react, judge, see things, I don't. That's not judgement, that's agreement. The rest is blather.

I know a French teacher was beheaded the other day. I find it abhorrent (an emotion). According to you I should look to others for their "experience" before making a judgment. Maybe if you start explaining the technical details to me of how it all works, the knife, the proper grip, what it really feels like, the doctrine of the religion involved, tell me a personal story of a nephew or niece, etc, maybe I'll feel better, after all there's a lot of people in the world celebrating over it.

Plain enough for me.

Goofyernmost

Well, I responded to this:

Your reason NOBODY should find it creepy "They have been doing that at Universal..." is b.s.

And you portrayed my response this way:

I never said we DON'T base our emotions on what we experience. What crap. Nobody was arguing that. And judgement? Maybe you take your cues from how others react, judge, see things, I don't. That's not judgement, that's agreement. The rest is blather.

I know a French teacher was beheaded the other day. I find it abhorrent (an emotion). According to you I should look to others for their "experience" before making a judgment. Maybe if you start explaining the technical details to me of how it all works, the knife, the proper grip, what it really feels like, the doctrine of the religion involved, tell me a personal story of a nephew or niece, etc, maybe I'll feel better, after all there's a lot of people in the world celebrating over it.

Plain enough for me.
Whatever reason you have to not let this go, I am going too. So it is your right to feel it is creepy, but let it be acknowledge that on a scale of 1 to 10 weighing how creepy it is with 10 being the most, it is a -5 to me. It is done by available and constantly used technology. There is nothing creepy about it unless you want to make it creepy for some unknown reason. That is your right, but I don't have to think that it is very logical or common. So this is the end of our back and forth on this topic, at least from my end.

LastoneOn

Whatever reason you have to not let this go, I am going too. So it is your right to feel it is creepy, but let it be acknowledge that on a scale of 1 to 10 weighing how creepy it is with 10 being the most, it is a -5 to me. It is done by available and constantly used technology. There is nothing creepy about it unless you want to make it creepy for some unknown reason. That is your right, but I don't have to think that it is very logical or common. So this is the end of our back and forth on this topic, at least from my end.

I simply corrected your mis-interpretation of my first comment and questioned your logic that knowledge negates negative emotions.

Have a magical day!

Jon81uk

Ah, StoryMaker, the ride feature the comes and goes and was never announced by Disney as being a thing that exists.
I loved all of these personally.

Seeing my name on the screen (RnB sensation apparently) in the rocknrollercoaster queue was kinda cool.

mp80237

People,

We were on the 7 Dwarfs Ride at Magic Kingdom. A few days later we got sent a picture of us 2 on the car, during the ride, on our disney ap. How did Disney know that the 2 people on that car , traveling down the 7 Dwarfs ride, was us? Such a mystery, as so far, what I heard is Disney does not use facial recognition, or do they?

Thanks, people.
The one that creeped me out the most was seeing my name or someone in my group's name while standing in line at Everest queue.
That was the one thing I really didn't like about the magic band. I knew I was being tracked, but seeing it kind of sucked. Same with Haunted Mansion

Jon81uk

The one that creeped me out the most was seeing my name or someone in my group's name while standing in line at Everest queue.
That was the one thing I really didn't like about the magic band. I knew I was being tracked, but seeing it kind of sucked. Same with Haunted Mansion

I don't know how much tracking was being done. I think it knew what attractions you are on, but not much more. and for attractions you have a FP for they know what you are riding anyway.

Jon81uk

Do they still do this or did it stop due to complaints?

I visited in 2016 and saw it on RnRC and Space Mountain. Not sure what is still working more recently.

As they plan to stop "free" magicbands next year I think it will be phased out anyway, no point supporting the tech if fewer people are wearing bands.

_caleb

I visited in 2016 and saw it on RnRC and Space Mountain. Not sure what is still working more recently.

As they plan to stop "free" magicbands next year I think it will be phased out anyway, no point supporting the tech if fewer people are wearing bands.
Unless they use mobile phones to do the same thing.

EthylCooper

It is definitely creepy. A control center in the app allowing guests to opt in/out of specific functions would solve the problem....people who like having their name displayed for hundreds of strangers to see could slide the button over to yes for that function, and people who value privacy could select only the parts they were comfortable with.

Jon81uk

It is definitely creepy. A control center in the app allowing guests to opt in/out of specific functions would solve the problem....people who like having their name displayed for hundreds of strangers to see could slide the button over to yes for that function, and people who value privacy could select only the parts they were comfortable with.
I understand some won’t want it and the idea of having the ability to turn off these personalisations seems good. But seeing your first name only on a screen a few feet away doesn’t really help strangers identify people, a name on the poster in the space mountain exit could belong to 5-10 people I guess.

MikeyK72

I understand some won’t want it and the idea of having the ability to turn off these personalisations seems good. But seeing your first name only on a screen a few feet away doesn’t really help strangers identify people, a name on the poster in the space mountain exit could belong to 5-10 people I guess.
Same with the Rock 'n' Roller Coaster queue...I thought it was cool to see my first name and my home town on the poster. There were at least 30 other people in that room and I'm pretty sure nobody knew it was me but me.

EthylCooper

If your first name is Jon, then it's probably not a big deal to you. If your first name is something more unique, and if you happen to be a girl, and especially if it shows your home town like Mikey just mentioned, that's SUPER creepy for any of us who've had experience with stalkers. (That's a much larger percentage of women than you are probably assuming.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom