Trip Report Clappy Clap.....Welcome Back!! The Many "World Firsts" TR

Hello all & welcome!! I'm so happy to finally be able to do another TR!! It feels like forever since my last one--probably b/c it has been(at least that's the way I feel)!! So, I don't want to dwell on the negative b/c let's face it, we've all had a crappy year. 2020 has not been kind to us. But, along with the obvious I had 3 relatives pass within 3 months of each other. Then I knew I was losing my job of almost 28 years in July. We had a Disney trip booked in May that never happened. E rescheduled for June(I couldn't b/c of work) but we all know what happened there--access denied. I knew I wouldn't be able to go until August so she & J booked for then. Since I no longer had an existing reservation she figured she would add me on to her's. Little did we know that nothing would be that simple....

I'll fill you in on the drama as we go along....

WHEN: Tuesday, August 11th - Tuesday, August 18th

WHERE: Saratoga Springs(Spoiler--we really ended up enjoying our stay there. Of course, it's not our beloved Riverside but we agreed it had kind of the same "vibe". Being on the Sassagoula kind of helped with that also.)
IMG_6400.JPEG

THE DRAMA THAT WENT ALONG WITH IT:

E & J may have had a reservation but there was no room at the inn for me. E purposely got a 1 bedroom villa & thought it would be easy to add me to the reservation. Yeah, that wasn't happening. They were not accepting any modifications to existing reservations. It was getting down to the wire. She was able to make park reservations & I still couldn't be added on. Finally, all's well that ends well. After many weeks of trying she was able to add me on & I was able to get the same parks. Never fear though, as a few of my magic friends know I had a "Plan B" ready as a backup but fortunately didn't have to go that route.
IMG_6213.JPEG

Then there were the many flight changes Southwest kept imposing on us. Here was one they did for me that was particularly scary. What happened to Pittsburgh to Orlando? :oops: They had my return flight correct but that didn't mean anything b/c it didn't look like I'd be making it there to begin with!!
IMG_6202.JPEG

The loss of my job was weighing on me all year(I've known since January). Here's my desk during my final days.
IMG_6287.JPEG

The reason for the dates was I knew I would be done with my job by then. I figured I'd take a few weeks off. One week to get situated then the next week to go to Disney. After that I would come back and search for work. Sounds like the perfect plan, right?
While still employed the new company taking over was encouraging us to apply. I did but didn't think it would really go anywhere for a number of reasons. Lo & behold they made me an offer on July 30th & asked me if I could give them an answer the next day. They were planning on reopening the store August 16th--while I would be away!! I broke the news that I would be away then. The company was very receptive to it when I explained why I had planned it the way I did. I also figured I should totally come clean & mentioned that I had an October trip booked also!! At this point I thought for sure they wouldn't want me. I called the next day & accepted their offer. Originally the plan was that I would start on the 19th when I got back. They called me on the 1st & asked me to start on the 3rd so I could get some training time in before I went away. I was fine with it & did it but was scrambling to pack etc.

I'm happy to be back in the place I've worked all my life that is so much a part of me. I'm still learning to do things the way the new company does them but overall I'm happy with the way things are going.

E & family were very sweet to give me a good luck present when I started my new(old:hilarious:) job.
IMG_6308.JPEG

With not much time to pack I made sure to do it early. I actually packed 6 days before the trip. That's amazing for me!!
IMG_6328.JPEG

I also made sure to bring a large supply of masks. They would get gross in a hurry!!
IMG_6332.JPEG

THE TITLE: I have to start out by giving credit to @Rista1313!! I got the "Clappy Clap" part from a comment she had made in my last TR. So many magicians loved the saying & I thought it was quite catchy. The "Welcome Back" part is b/c I truly felt like we were really welcomed back by the CM's. They seemed genuinely happy to have guests there. Also, that song had been in my mind for quite some time. Has anyone seen the Applebee's commercial with that song in it? The first time I saw it I had tears in my eyes. It's very fitting & says a lot with little words. And, there were many "World Firsts" you'll see as we go along!!

WHO: I'm sure you've figured it out by now but we're back to the "same old" crew!! My sister E, my nephew J & myself, Patti!!
IMG_6724.JPG

No, I don't really care for pictures of my backside but I did think this was a neat picture--minus the castle colors. I'm still not a fan!!:cautious:

To all my friends out there reading, "Welcome Back"!!

Last edited:

riverside

Original Poster
SUNDAY, AUGUST 16TH

Having spent as much time as we did during the trip at DS we really didn't feel the need to go anywhere else there. Our reservation wasn't for another 45 minutes or so but we were hungry & tired so we checked to see it they could seat us early & they could!!
IMG_7315.JPEG

Have your phones charged good while you're there. You have to view the menus from them. We did not get a paper menu in any of the restaurants that we ate at. If you're old like me that means you will need to bring your readers also. As @Darstarr so wisely said, "Eating at WDW is hard....."
IMG_7316.PNG

IMG_7317.PNG

No visit to Homecomin' is complete without an order of these!! So good!!
IMG_7318.JPEG

Funny story--I sent the above picture to R b/c he loves their eggs. A few days later one of his families at school told him they were going to be going to Disney in a few weeks. He told them that I just got back & he was showing them some pictures I sent him of the low crowds. While scrolling through they came across this picture. The mother says, "Oh nice. She ate at Homecomin'. We love it there."
R says, "No, she didn't eat at Homecomin'. She ate at Chef Art Smith's!!" 🤣 🤣🤣🤣🤣
The mother explained to him the full name of the restaurant...😜

J started saying that his stomach hurt.
IMG_7319.JPEG

He got a cheeseburger, mashed potatoes & fruit for dinner. Their mashed potatoes are the best!!
IMG_7320.JPEG

E got a chicken salad. BTW--that's a Minecraft Lego set!!
IMG_7321.JPEG

Sangria for me!!
IMG_7322.JPEG

I got the fried chicken sandwich & it was excellent!!
IMG_7323.JPEG

As the meal went on J kept saying his stomach hurt(as it turned out all he needed was to go to the bathroom). He didn't want to eat anymore so E & I made sure those mashed potatoes didn't go to waste!!
IMG_7325.JPEG

riverside

Original Poster
SUNDAY, AUGUST 16TH

For the second part of our meal there was some live entertainment going on.
IMG_7326.JPEG

Had to keep calculating our savings!!
IMG_7327.JPEG

We decided to head back to Saratoga Springs.
IMG_7329.JPEG

I thought these shots were pretty cool!!
IMG_7330.JPEG

IMG_7331.JPEG

IMG_7332.JPEG

The lovely Sassagoula!!
IMG_7334.JPEG

We got back around 7:45. J was feeling much better & started doing a dance.
IMG_7335.JPEG

I did some laundry & went to bed. It was nice to able to come home with almost all my clothes clean!!
IMG_7339.JPEG

slipperalwaysfits

J(as the rest of you do also)knows my fear of birds. All of a sudden J started snapping his fingers & calling my name to alert me to what was coming right at me.

I truly don't remember hearing about your fear of birds...and I thought I've read all your TR's! :jawdrop: :geek:

Regardless, he wanted to go on & I was quite impressed. He was doing a lot of "firsts" for him & that was exciting!!
YES, I am loving hearing J try so many new things....I am really excited for him....but oh, those HILLS!:arghh::banghead:

We got there & they told us that there was an unexpected emergency at the Lava Lounge & it was closed. We asked how long the wait was for the restaurant and were told 1 hour & 45 minutes!! They said that the bar is kid friendly & if we could find 3 seats there we were welcome to them. We found 3 so that's exactly what we did!!
Ironic the emergency happened right when you walked up! I hope everyone was okay!
J got chicken quesadillas.
THIS LOOKS like a real kids' portion!:bookworm::p
We walked around a bit and at some point I stopped & had my first ever Ghirardelli ice cream
The ice cream is good, but I'm really there for the hot fudge!:geek:
Look at who had a minor mishap yesterday!! The staples come out the day before we leave for Disney(thank goodness)!! He's doing ok thoug
HOLY MOLY!!!!! Poor kid! I'm glad he's doing okay and is running around like his usual happy self! Yes, stiches removal stinks but just remind him how brave he is, in that he rode Smuggler's run and Test Track! Maybe once he gets the stitches out, he will feel brave enough for FEA!! (that hill seems smaller than Pirates).

Rainforest isn't one of my favorites(not that there's anything wrong with it--it's nothing special though IMO). I don't hate it but I don't love it either. I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. I think my negativity for it comes in b/c every time I ate there(whether it be at DS or AK) there was always an issue. Either lousy service or waiting over an hour past our reservation time. I guess things like that put a bad taste in my mouth about it.
I've never been a big fan of Rainforest, either. Too loud and their food isn't that good, especially when compared to everything else on property.
CM said to me, "Hey, you were at AK a few days ago." I must have had a puzzled look on my face b/c then he told me that he was there & remembered me. I was surprised esp. b/c that was the one time that my bag didn't set off the metal detector. I know the crowds were light but I was still amazed that he would remember.
THAT is AMAZING that he remembered you! They see sooo many people! Did you have a special shirt that stood out or your bag was extra noticable?
. This was the first time we had to wait in line to get into a shop. It wasn't bad though, we only waited a couple of minutes. The thing that stinks about it though is you feel like you have to rush when looking around(at least I did). At one point I noticed the line had grew considerably & I felt bad like I should hurry up & let someone else have a turn. Oh, the pressures of covid....
YES, I feel this way, too. I feel rushed so others can have their time in a store, etc. Plus, it's just considerate, especially if you know what you want.
Notice my hair frizz!!
This happens to me DAILY! Not just in WDW but here, too. I can't be bothered with hairspray, especially when I travel...so frizz it will be.
I hope the bribes are over soon--it's tough on the wallet!! He still says he's not going on Pirates next time though!! That "hill" really freaks him out!!
Yes, bribes would be hard on the wallet, but isn't that partially what Aunties are for? And jellybeans, of course.:p
No visit to Homecomin' is complete without an order of these!! So good!!
I want to go to Homecomin' JUST for these eggs and the drinks. I LOVE all kinds of eggs, but deviled are my favorite!!:geek::geek::geek::geek:
As the meal went on J kept saying his stomach hurt(as it turned out all he needed was to go to the bathroom). He didn't want to eat anymore so E & I made sure those mashed potatoes didn't go to waste!!
I am sooooooooooooooo glad that he was okay and it was just a bathroom issue. I'm glad he recovered!

krisri18

SUNDAY, AUGUST 16TH

J was super excited b/c we got to sit in the back of the bus!! Also, the box of popcorn is what they give you when you purchase a refill.
View attachment 506925

J & I headed to the pool/splash pad area. E was there for a little bit but went back to the room earlier than us.
View attachment 506926

We brought some snacks & drinks from the room with us.
View attachment 506927

I have absolutely no clue as to why I took this picture. After the splash pad we went in the hot tub then we played ball in the pool for awhile!!
View attachment 506928

We got ready for dinner & walked to DS!! Can you believe that was our 5th time there that trip!! There have been times where I've gone 5 trips straight & not gone there once!!

No surrey bike rentals for now.
View attachment 506929

It was another quiet day at Saratoga Springs.
View attachment 506930

And it was quiet at DS also!
View attachment 506931

I had to make good on my Smuggler's Run promise so we went to the Lego store first. I forgot to take a picture of what I bought J but thought of @Darstarr when I saw this & had to take a picture!!
View attachment 506932
We have that Friends Lego set! Got it for my middle child for his birthday in August, he had it built in 2 days!
IMG_20200802_190114630.jpg

Last edited:

BrerWayne

SATURDAY, AUGUST 15TH

Now, J had been on Test Track one time before but didn't have much of a desire to go on again. That was, until this day. He asked a lot of questions about the ride so he probably didn't remember much from his first go around. Regardless, he wanted to go on & I was quite impressed. He was doing a lot of "firsts" for him & that was exciting!!
View attachment 506182

He did decide that he should sit between his mom & I. He also made sure he was holing onto me pretty tight!!
View attachment 506183

View attachment 506184

He was thrilled that he went on & he loved it!!

A boy with his cars!!
View attachment 506185

View attachment 506186

We ended up going into Mouse Gear(totally awful experience). @Tuvalu I totally agree with you regarding this place!! It's a big letdown right now!!
View attachment 506187

And speaking of letdowns---let's walk through the wall maze why don't we??
View attachment 506188

View attachment 506189

View attachment 506190

Park Exit👏👏👏 There's actually a way out of that nightmare!!
View attachment 506191
What’s wrong with Mousegears? I haven’t been to the World since 2017😢

BrerWayne

SUNDAY, AUGUST 16TH

We asked J where he wanted to go first & just like the other day he wanted to ride A.S.S. first so off we went!!

I still couldn't get over how empty it was!!
View attachment 506475

We stopped for some pics on our way into TSL.
View attachment 506477

View attachment 506478

View attachment 506479

View attachment 506480

It said a 20 minute wait but it wasn't quite that long.
View attachment 506476

View attachment 506474

Then we headed to TSM!!
View attachment 506481

View attachment 506482

View attachment 506483
A.S.S. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Longers

I’m late arriving but was reading 3 other TR’s so didn’t want to start another

better late than never though - right? Although I am only on page 7 but I need to get ready for work now. Can’t remember all my thoughts but the ones I do remember......

so pleased you managed to keep your job
Can’t believe those goggles by that lady on the plane - who packs goggles? (Especially massive ones like that!)
I feel your pain with Riverside - I am continually watching for news of it reopening. It makes me so sad. I think like you just driving past the sign I would be crying.
we walked from Saratoga once to Disney springs and got a bit lost too - maybe they need to put some better signage out.
loved the low crowds - it looks to have got busier now.
And so pleased another trip is booked for you - right now in the UK we can only dream (and live through others TR’s)

hopefully I can resume tonight from page 8.......

riverside

Original Poster
Not better than yours!!!
You deserve the credit!!
They are SO GOOD!
I could eat a whole bowl of them as my meal & be happy!!
I truly don't remember hearing about your fear of birds...and I thought I've read all your TR's! :jawdrop: :geek:
I'm scared to death of them. Especially when one gets inside--where they don't belong.
YES, I am loving hearing J try so many new things....I am really excited for him....but oh, those HILLS!:arghh::banghead:
I was excited that he did also!!
HOLY MOLY!!!!! Poor kid! I'm glad he's doing okay and is running around like his usual happy self! Yes, stiches removal stinks but just remind him how brave he is, in that he rode Smuggler's run and Test Track! Maybe once he gets the stitches out, he will feel brave enough for FEA!! (that hill seems smaller than Pirates).
Both hills are small so I don't know what upsets him so much about them. Maybe b/c there isn't a restraint so he doesn't feel safe??
THAT is AMAZING that he remembered you! They see sooo many people! Did you have a special shirt that stood out or your bag was extra noticable?
I was shocked. Nothing that stood out definitely. And it's not like he had to go through my bag at AK b/c that was the only day I didn't set off the metal detector!!
This happens to me DAILY! Not just in WDW but here, too. I can't be bothered with hairspray, especially when I travel...so frizz it will be.
Due to my work schedule I'm going to pack today for the next trip. I am going to buy the item that a few on here have said works well. I just have to go back through this to find that part b/c I can't remember what it's called!!
Yes, bribes would be hard on the wallet, but isn't that partially what Aunties are for? And jellybeans, of course.:p
I'd rather be buying jelly beans--they're cheaper!!
I can never make it past the mac and cheese over there. It is so, so good.

I hope J has a swift recovery! Ouch!
I've never tried that there. I'll make sure I do next time!!

He's doing good. Thanks!!
We have that Friends Lego set! Got it for my middle child for his birthday in August, he had it built in 2 days!
It looked really cute!!
I have almost bought this a couple of times!!
You should get it. It would be perfect for you!!
What’s wrong with Mousegears? I haven’t been to the World since 2017😢
It's no longer. They now have a scaled down version of it & there really isn't anything "different" in there anymore. I always found neat things in there but not anymore.
I hope you get back there soon!!🤞
I’m late arriving but was reading 3 other TR’s so didn’t want to start another

better late than never though - right? Although I am only on page 7 but I need to get ready for work now. Can’t remember all my thoughts but the ones I do remember......

so pleased you managed to keep your job
Can’t believe those goggles by that lady on the plane - who packs goggles? (Especially massive ones like that!)
I feel your pain with Riverside - I am continually watching for news of it reopening. It makes me so sad. I think like you just driving past the sign I would be crying.
we walked from Saratoga once to Disney springs and got a bit lost too - maybe they need to put some better signage out.
loved the low crowds - it looks to have got busier now.
And so pleased another trip is booked for you - right now in the UK we can only dream (and live through others TR’s)

hopefully I can resume tonight from page 8.......
Welcome & I'm glad you're here!! I find sometimes when I read too many I start to confuse them so I know what you mean!!

Thank you--it's tiring but I'm thankful to be working & to have got one so quick!!

Her entitled feeling of "clear the area for me" was a total disgrace. I was thinking maybe she has a bad habit of touching her eyes so this was her way of not doing it!!🤣🤣🤣

I shouldn't think so negative but I have a sinking feeling that it will be one of the last to open. It's so upsetting.:cry:

I think the signage needs to be better also esp. back where we were staying. We only saw one sign for DS & it was after we had already walked 10 minutes!!

They have increased quite a bit. I always start looking at them when I'm getting close to a trip & it doesn't seem like we are going to have the same experience as we did last time.

I'm really looking forward to it!! Such a bummer that you can't travel yet. I keep hoping that one day we'll wake up & this nightmare will be over.

riverside

Original Poster
MONDAY, AUGUST 17TH

Well, the semi-dreaded day had arrived.
IMG_7340.JPEG

It was our last day in the parks(oh wait, I mean park-singular- since hopping is out of the question) & we were headed to MK!!
IMG_7342.JPEG

We got there at 9:30.
IMG_7343.JPEG

IMG_7344.JPEG

You'll never believe where we were headed--& no, it wasn't Pirates😞
IMG_7345.JPEG

IMG_7346.JPEG

And it surely wasn't this--could you see J on that hill??:hilarious:
IMG_7347.JPEG

It was the wildest ride in the wilderness!!
IMG_7348.JPEG

What really impressed me about him deciding he would go on was that he knew we weren't going back to DS so it's not like he was going to get another Lego set out of us!!
IMG_7349.JPEG

And since he had agreed to go on we figured we better do it quickly before he changed his mind!!
IMG_7350.JPEG

lindawdw

It's so nice that you have such a special bond with J now especially since it seems he didn't feel warm and fuzzy with you when he was little. Kids are funny in that way but he sure has warmed up to you now and the love shines through in your TR's!!! Glad his stomachache got better after dinner. Your meals at Homecoming look so delicious. It's so great having the washer and dryer in the DVC 1 bedroom villas! We'll be staying in one next week and always find it so convenient to get your laundry done before leaving for home. Where are you staying this upcoming trip? So fun that J loves the BTMRR now and no bribes necessary!!!🤣

riverside

Original Poster
MONDAY, AUGUST 17TH

I don't know that I ever noticed this sign before!!
IMG_7351.JPEG

We pretty much walked on which was good for J's anxiety about trying something new.
IMG_7352.JPEG

But I think he was gaining confidence & he didn't seem that bad!!
IMG_7353.JPEG

E videoed his maiden voyage.
IMG_7354.JPEG

That he absolutely loved!!
IMG_7355.JPEG

We went to pay the happy haunts a visit next.
IMG_7356.JPEG

I think this picture is pretty cool!!
IMG_7357.JPEG

IMG_7494.JPG

IMG_7495.JPG

Then we ventured through a pretty empty Fantasyland!!
IMG_7358.JPEG

riverside

Original Poster
It's so nice that you have such a special bond with J now especially since it seems he didn't feel warm and fuzzy with you when he was little. Kids are funny in that way but he sure has warmed up to you now and the love shines through in your TR's!!! Glad his stomachache got better after dinner. Your meals at Homecoming look so delicious. It's so great having the washer and dryer in the DVC 1 bedroom villas! We'll be staying in one next week and always find it so convenient to get your laundry done before leaving for home. Where are you staying this upcoming trip? So fun that J loves the BTMRR now and no bribes necessary!!!🤣
Yes they are!! It's funny how different kids are. When my nephew, C, was a baby my SIL breast fed him. Therefore, he absolutely refused a bottle from anyone(his mom & dad included) except me. I don't know what it was. One time I was at choir practice & my brother called me to ask me to come over & feed him a bottle b/c my SIL was out & he wouldn't take it from him. I went over to their house & he took it from me immediately. It was so strange, he would only take it from me.

It was very good. That's the problem with Disney--there are so many good restaurants that it's hard to choose where to eat!!

The washer & dryer is really handy!! I'm the type that unpacks as soon as I get home so to have most of the clothes clean is great!!

Our original reservations were for the Poly. We had two rooms booked. Then we were notified that they wouldn't be open & they were going to switch us to the Grand Floridian. We've stayed there before & really weren't feeling it. We decided to go back to Saratoga Springs but we're staying in a treehouse villa this time!! J's really excited about that!! The only downside is we'll probably be picked up around 11 on our departure day so when we thought we were staying at the Poly we made park reservations so we could go to MK for an hour or so that morning. We figured being on the monorail we wouldn't have a long travel time. Now that we're not staying there it doesn't make sense for us to go to a park that day.

riverside

Original Poster
MONDAY, AUGUST 17TH

J wanted to ride the Speedway again so we went there next.
IMG_7359.JPEG

Good news was that they didn't break down this time!!
IMG_7360.JPEG

There they are!!
IMG_7361.JPEG

IMG_7363.JPEG

So, I did end up doing one more "Lego Bribe". I told J if he went on this ride I would buy him a Lego set once we got back home. He wasn't too keen b/c he remembered not liking this ride but we told him this was no different than BTMRR.
IMG_7365.JPEG

While waiting to board we were talking about something(of which I can't remember) & we had said that we "wished" we could do....(again, whatever it was I can't remember). Well, we heard J talking out loud to himself & he said, "I just wish I could find the nearest exit". It was hysterical!! I'm laughing as I'm typing this!! The tone in his voice & the way he said it was too much!! :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious:
IMG_7366.JPEG

IMG_7367.JPEG

IMG_7368.JPEG

And it may not look like it but he loved this one also!!
IMG_7496.JPG

IMG_7497.JPG

riverside

Original Poster
MONDAY, AUGUST 17TH

A spin on the teacups. J is getting very good about spinning very fast:hungover:
IMG_5366.JPEG

We originally had a dinner reservation at Tony's. We decided to see if we could switch it to lunch. A few days prior a friend had texted me & told me that the Tambu Lounge was opening that weekend!! We wanted to go there & it would work out best if we switched dinner to lunch so that's what we did!!
IMG_7371.JPEG

Obviously, switching our reservation was not an issue in the least!!
IMG_7372.JPEG

It's usually so packed in that waiting area but not today.
IMG_7373.JPEG

IMG_7374.JPEG

IMG_7375.JPEG

J was proud of his accomplishments for the day!!
IMG_7376.JPEG

After having conquered all those rides I checked to see what the wait was for Pirates but he still vetoed it!!
IMG_7377.PNG

We got bread to start. I wish they would serve something different. The bread is very boring there.
IMG_7378.JPEG

We got to watch some entertainment while we waited.
IMG_7379.JPEG

riverside

Original Poster
MONDAY, AUGUST 17TH

J got the kids spaghetti with that giant meatball!!
IMG_7380.JPEG

E got a pizza.
IMG_7381.JPEG

I went with the shrimp fettuccine & it was great!!
IMG_7382.JPEG

Side note--I can't tell you how many times I tried to type fettuccine & kept spelling it wrong!! And I work in a grocery store!!:hilarious:

J got this cupcake for dessert.
IMG_7383.JPEG

As we were eating our waitress appeared with another pizza for E. We were quite puzzled. She told her that when she brought the first one to the table she felt that it looked smaller than what it should have been so she had them make another!! It was nice of her but it wasn't like E had complained or anything. She didn't think anything was wrong with the size of it. So now she had all this pizza & there was no way she could eat it. She ended up taking most of it in a to go box that ended up in the trash, unfortunately.
IMG_7384.JPEG

The service & food was good. I do like the food there. It's nothing totally out of this world but it's always been consistently good.
IMG_7385.JPEG

We headed back out into the park.
IMG_7386.JPEG

IMG_7387.JPEG

We were entertained by these guys for a bit!!
IMG_7388.JPEG

IMG_7389.JPEG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom