Our photo was sent to us- creepy......

noquacks

Original Poster
People,

We were on the 7 Dwarfs Ride at Magic Kingdom. A few days later we got sent a picture of us 2 on the car, during the ride, on our disney ap. How did Disney know that the 2 people on that car , traveling down the 7 Dwarfs ride, was us? Such a mystery, as so far, what I heard is Disney does not use facial recognition, or do they?

Thanks, people.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
People,

We were on the 7 Dwarfs Ride at Magic Kingdom. A few days later we got sent a picture of us 2 on the car, during the ride, on our disney ap. How did Disney know that the 2 people on that car , traveling down the 7 Dwarfs ride, was us? Such a mystery, as so far, what I heard is Disney does not use facial recognition, or do they?

Thanks, people.

See that colorful band on your wrist? THAT'S how.

JIMINYCR

Some time ago Disney also had started trying to personalize attractions by having certain ones magically have your name and a possible messages to those guests show up. The thought was instead of it being creepy, it would be fun for guests to watch for their names and be happy to see they were mentioned. On IASW as you travelled to the end, some guests were surprised to see on the goodbye signs, their names appearing. All by the reading of the MB. We caught ours on one sign as we went by.

Goofyernmost

Some time ago Disney also had started trying to personalize attractions by having certain ones magically have your name and a possible messages to those guests show up. The thought was instead of it being creepy, it would be fun for guests to watch for their names and be happy to see they were mentioned. On IASW as you travelled to the end, some guests were surprised to see on the goodbye signs, their names appearing. All by the reading of the MB. We caught ours on one sign as we went by.
I wonder why anyone would find the name thing creepy? They have been doing that at Universal on the ET ride since it opened. I always thought it was fun. At any rate we might just as well realize that we are being tracked in one form or the other constantly. Yesterday, on a different thread I used the word burial. By evening I had 7 e-mails telling me that I should sign up for burial insurance. Whatever spotted it didn't bother to read the rest of it that said it was Burial is prepaid already. I remember when those wrist things first came out and one of the selling points was that if your child got lost, they could locate them. Almost immediately it started a conspiracy where in some pedophile was going to track a kid from a main frame, spot where they were via the band (for example, near HM). Quickly shut down the Disney Computer and eliminate all indications that someone was using it, grab his gear and head for the HM in a quest to kidnap the kid. Sadly, for the pedophile by the time he got to the location, for some unexplainable reason the kid wasn't there anymore. Seriously, just another display of stupid from the public.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I wonder why anyone would find the name thing creepy? They have been doing that at Universal on the ET ride since it opened. I always thought it was fun. At any rate we might just as well realize that we are being tracked in one form or the other constantly. Yesterday, on a different thread I used the word burial. By evening I had 7 e-mails telling me that I should sign up for burial insurance. Whatever spotted it didn't bother to read the rest of it that said it was Burial is prepaid already. I remember when those wrist things first came out and one of the selling points was that if you child got lost, they could locate them. Almost immediately it started a conspiracy where in some pedophile was going to track a kid from a main frame, spot where they were via the band (for example, near HM). Quickly shut down the Disney Computer and eliminate all indications that someone was using it, grab his gear and head for the HM in a quest to kidnap the kid. Sadly, for the pedophile by the time he got to the location, for some unexplainable reason the kid wasn't there anymore. Seriously, just another display of stupid from the public.

I never liked the way they did it in the E.T. ride, it was just not magical. "Wow, how did E.T know my name, I am sure if had nothing to do with me giving my name to a TM and them typing it into a computer and giving me a card which I gave to another TM when I boarded the ride vehicle." ;) Even with that, E.T. is still a fantastic ride.

_caleb

I thought it was SO cool when we got home from a Disney vacation to see all the Photopass photos we had posed for PLUS a few other photos we didn’t expect and could not have staged ourselves!

As some have mentioned elsewhere, the photos are being scanned as well to monitor the mask policy. We were there a couple of weeks ago and did not get several photos. Two of them were due to others unrelated to us in the photo not complying with the mask policy. Those people were able to cropped out and I received the photos later that day. Perhaps that may have happened to you since SDMT captures several people in one photo sometimes.

noquacks

Original Poster
Good to know. Was just there (Epcot) today, and wish there was some kind of mask police, to enforce bad behavior. People walking around WHILE drinking/eating, against the rules. Others smoking while walking around. others wearing mask under chin. Others, sitting, thinking they are priveliged to remove mask (while not eating/drinking). Its a sham. The announcement you hear periodically is largely ignored. Too easy for workers to look the other way.

Goofyernmost

I never liked the way they did it in the E.T. ride, it was just not magical. "Wow, how did E.T know my name, I am sure if had nothing to do with me giving my name to a TM and them typing it into a computer and giving me a card which I gave to another TM when I boarded the ride vehicle." ;) Even with that, E.T. is still a fantastic ride.
True, but at the time it was the only way they had to do it. Even though it wasn't really what anyone could call "magical" it was still cool to hear your name at the end of the ride. Probably small kids wondered how ET knew their names. It was like when I was a kid and Santa Claus said my name and read my letter on the radio.

LastoneOn

"I wonder why anyone would find the name thing creepy? They have been doing that at Universal on the ET ride since it opened."

Most people don't base their emotional reactions on whether something exists someplace else.

JIMINYCR

I wonder why anyone would find the name thing creepy? They have been doing that at Universal on the ET ride since it opened. I always thought it was fun. At any rate we might just as well realize that we are being tracked in one form or the other constantly. Yesterday, on a different thread I used the word burial. By evening I had 7 e-mails telling me that I should sign up for burial insurance. Whatever spotted it didn't bother to read the rest of it that said it was Burial is prepaid already. I remember when those wrist things first came out and one of the selling points was that if you child got lost, they could locate them. Almost immediately it started a conspiracy where in some pedophile was going to track a kid from a main frame, spot where they were via the band (for example, near HM). Quickly shut down the Disney Computer and eliminate all indications that someone was using it, grab his gear and head for the HM in a quest to kidnap the kid. Sadly, for the pedophile by the time he got to the location, for some unexplainable reason the kid wasn't there anymore. Seriously, just another display of stupid from the public.
Well since Disney started getting more and more tecchie driven, we hear so many people thinking Disney is monitoring their every move and keeping a file on them ... fingerprints from the touchpads, past trips, buying patterns, and such things. So as the OP was uncomfortable about Disney somehow knowing they were on a ride and sent photos to them, it can unsettle folks. Seeing your name pop up unexpectedly... how else is Disney watching me??? There are many people who think we are in a big brother world already and dont want to be tracked and prefer to live off grid. Already your computer and phones are sharing info to all sorts of companies who use that info to try to sell you on things they know that interest you.

HarperRose

People,

Thanks, people.
Because you were wearing a tracking device on your wrist.

Goofyernmost

Well since Disney started getting more and more tecchie driven, we hear so many people thinking Disney is monitoring their every move and keeping a file on them ... fingerprints from the touchpads, past trips, buying patterns, and such things. So as the OP was uncomfortable about Disney somehow knowing they were on a ride and sent photos to them, it can unsettle folks. Seeing your name pop up unexpectedly... how else is Disney watching me??? There are many people who think we are in a big brother world already and dont want to be tracked and prefer to live off grid. Already your computer and phones are sharing info to all sorts of companies who use that info to try to sell you on things they know that interest you.
That is what I mean. Unless you own a cave in some remote jungle, live off the land, no electricity or need for others you are always in someones possible view. What we need to be is somewhat less paranoid and realize the for most of us monitoring us 24/7 for no specific reason would be one of the most effective sleep aides possible.

DfromATX

I love the little video clip you get on that ride. Did you notice when you rode rides like Space Mountain the marquee also gave you a personal message as you exited? I don't remember exactly what, but something like "hope you enjoyed the ride, "noquacks!"

TrainsOfDisney

I usually have the opposite problem. Either my photo is missing altogether or someone else’s photo gets loaded into my account.

I get photopass free with my pass but I still ask them to use my phone as well just in case it doesn’t load.

I can see how it would be a bit creepy if you didn’t realize your magic bands were tracking you.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Ah, StoryMaker, the ride feature the comes and goes and was never announced by Disney as being a thing that exists.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom