Trip Report Clappy Clap.....Welcome Back!! The Many "World Firsts" TR

Hello all & welcome!! I'm so happy to finally be able to do another TR!! It feels like forever since my last one--probably b/c it has been(at least that's the way I feel)!! So, I don't want to dwell on the negative b/c let's face it, we've all had a crappy year. 2020 has not been kind to us. But, along with the obvious I had 3 relatives pass within 3 months of each other. Then I knew I was losing my job of almost 28 years in July. We had a Disney trip booked in May that never happened. E rescheduled for June(I couldn't b/c of work) but we all know what happened there--access denied. I knew I wouldn't be able to go until August so she & J booked for then. Since I no longer had an existing reservation she figured she would add me on to her's. Little did we know that nothing would be that simple....

I'll fill you in on the drama as we go along....

WHEN: Tuesday, August 11th - Tuesday, August 18th

WHERE: Saratoga Springs(Spoiler--we really ended up enjoying our stay there. Of course, it's not our beloved Riverside but we agreed it had kind of the same "vibe". Being on the Sassagoula kind of helped with that also.)
IMG_6400.JPEG

THE DRAMA THAT WENT ALONG WITH IT:

E & J may have had a reservation but there was no room at the inn for me. E purposely got a 1 bedroom villa & thought it would be easy to add me to the reservation. Yeah, that wasn't happening. They were not accepting any modifications to existing reservations. It was getting down to the wire. She was able to make park reservations & I still couldn't be added on. Finally, all's well that ends well. After many weeks of trying she was able to add me on & I was able to get the same parks. Never fear though, as a few of my magic friends know I had a "Plan B" ready as a backup but fortunately didn't have to go that route.
IMG_6213.JPEG

Then there were the many flight changes Southwest kept imposing on us. Here was one they did for me that was particularly scary. What happened to Pittsburgh to Orlando? :oops: They had my return flight correct but that didn't mean anything b/c it didn't look like I'd be making it there to begin with!!
IMG_6202.JPEG

The loss of my job was weighing on me all year(I've known since January). Here's my desk during my final days.
IMG_6287.JPEG

The reason for the dates was I knew I would be done with my job by then. I figured I'd take a few weeks off. One week to get situated then the next week to go to Disney. After that I would come back and search for work. Sounds like the perfect plan, right?
While still employed the new company taking over was encouraging us to apply. I did but didn't think it would really go anywhere for a number of reasons. Lo & behold they made me an offer on July 30th & asked me if I could give them an answer the next day. They were planning on reopening the store August 16th--while I would be away!! I broke the news that I would be away then. The company was very receptive to it when I explained why I had planned it the way I did. I also figured I should totally come clean & mentioned that I had an October trip booked also!! At this point I thought for sure they wouldn't want me. I called the next day & accepted their offer. Originally the plan was that I would start on the 19th when I got back. They called me on the 1st & asked me to start on the 3rd so I could get some training time in before I went away. I was fine with it & did it but was scrambling to pack etc.

I'm happy to be back in the place I've worked all my life that is so much a part of me. I'm still learning to do things the way the new company does them but overall I'm happy with the way things are going.

E & family were very sweet to give me a good luck present when I started my new(old:hilarious:) job.
IMG_6308.JPEG

With not much time to pack I made sure to do it early. I actually packed 6 days before the trip. That's amazing for me!!
IMG_6328.JPEG

I also made sure to bring a large supply of masks. They would get gross in a hurry!!
IMG_6332.JPEG

THE TITLE: I have to start out by giving credit to @Rista1313!! I got the "Clappy Clap" part from a comment she had made in my last TR. So many magicians loved the saying & I thought it was quite catchy. The "Welcome Back" part is b/c I truly felt like we were really welcomed back by the CM's. They seemed genuinely happy to have guests there. Also, that song had been in my mind for quite some time. Has anyone seen the Applebee's commercial with that song in it? The first time I saw it I had tears in my eyes. It's very fitting & says a lot with little words. And, there were many "World Firsts" you'll see as we go along!!

WHO: I'm sure you've figured it out by now but we're back to the "same old" crew!! My sister E, my nephew J & myself, Patti!!
IMG_6724.JPG

No, I don't really care for pictures of my backside but I did think this was a neat picture--minus the castle colors. I'm still not a fan!!:cautious:

To all my friends out there reading, "Welcome Back"!!

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

TUESDAY, AUGUST 11TH

We were dropped off here.
View attachment 495081

Seriously?? There isn't a single soul on this bridge at 5:30?
View attachment 495082

Same goes for back here!!
View attachment 495083

The usually crowded Earl of Sandwich.
View attachment 495084

There's some sign of life!!
View attachment 495085

I hope you're all sitting down for this one. E commented, "Oh look, there's a popcorn bucket"!!😮
View attachment 495086

We went to the Lego store. You have to get in from the back & only so many people are allowed in at a time. Everyone must exit through the front doors.
View attachment 495087

Normally I skip this store b/c it's like World of Disney, a conundrum. Today though, it was quite pleasant.
View attachment 495088

View attachment 495089

Prior to the trip J started telling E that he didn't want to go to Disney but when she went she could bring him something back from the Lego store. E told him if he didn't go he didn't get anything. He could only get something from the Lego store if he went there. Since he went he got something from the Lego store. BTW--it's not that he didn't want to go to Disney. He was upset b/c he was going to miss his dad. JSR had a talk with him & then he was fine with going. J is happy though that his dad is coming with us on the next trip!!
View attachment 495090

I must say, I would have liked to experience this NON MOBBED Lego store. When life returns to normal, the Lego store, as well as, all of DS will be MOBBED. Having said that, when the mobs return that will mean all is right with the world again and I welcome that!

riverside

Original Poster
Yay! Just got here and am already excited! It’s so good to hear that the new company was smart enough to recognize and keep good people! Congratulations and I am looking forward to reading your TR.
Thanks & I'm glad you're here!! Thank you for your kind words--it's been a bit of a transition but overall it's been as good as it could go. I'm happy to be employed again & I do love this industry(of course, it's all I know 🤣)I hope you enjoy it!!
I must say, I would have liked to experience this NON MOBBED Lego store. When life returns to normal, the Lego store, as well as, all of DS will be MOBBED. Having said that, when the mobs return that will mean all is right with the world again and I welcome that!
We are not DS fans in the least--just b/c of the MOBBS of people!! The stores were actually pleasant to go to as were the restaurants. Let's see what I think in a few weeks!!🤞🤞🤞
I'm also welcoming everything being all right with the world again--bring on the masses!!

riverside

Original Poster
Thanks to my friend @Darstarr & her fine advice on how to make mashed potatoes(you're the best!!😘) I have some free time to update my TR!!

SATURDAY, AUGUST 15TH

As we approached the good old U.S.A. some friends were parading on by!!
IMG_7131.JPEG

IMG_7132.JPEG

IMG_7133.JPEG

Love all the stamps!!
IMG_7134.JPEG

IMG_7135.JPEG

E was hoping that J would have been distracted by them enough to forget that he wanted a funnel cake(that he gets every time we're passing by) but when in America.....
IMG_7136.JPEG

IMG_7137.JPEG

riverside

Original Poster
SATURDAY, AUGUST 15TH

We had no problem finding a table for J to enjoy his treat.
IMG_7138.JPEG

J(as the rest of you do also)knows my fear of birds. All of a sudden J started snapping his fingers & calling my name to alert me to what was coming right at me.
IMG_7139.JPEG

Seriously, he landed on the table right next to me!!😱
IMG_7140.JPEG

I was temporarily distracted by the Mariachi Cobre doing their thing.
IMG_7141.JPEG

Until my little nemesis decided to return!!
IMG_7142.JPEG

With that it was time to go!!
IMG_7143.JPEG

We stopped to watch the trains for a little bit.
IMG_7144.JPEG

This looked so sad to me.
IMG_7145.JPEG

We teased J about going on FEA. I don't know if any of you remember but a few years ago it was J, E, R, B(my niece) & L(E's niece) & me. J kept carrying on that he didn't want to go on Frozen b/c of the "hill". We went to get in line & he had a full fledged meltdown. E finally took him out of line & waited for us. All he kept doing was repeating, "I don't want to go on Frozen". To this day R exaggerates it & says it to J all the time. J used to get embarrassed about it but now he just repeats it & laughs right along with it. I'm just hoping we can get get him back on there again next trip!!
IMG_7146.JPEG

We ended up skipping my favorite pavilion this time around but there's always next time!!
IMG_7147.JPEG

riverside

Original Poster
SATURDAY, AUGUST 15TH

Now, J had been on Test Track one time before but didn't have much of a desire to go on again. That was, until this day. He asked a lot of questions about the ride so he probably didn't remember much from his first go around. Regardless, he wanted to go on & I was quite impressed. He was doing a lot of "firsts" for him & that was exciting!!
IMG_7148.JPEG

He did decide that he should sit between his mom & I. He also made sure he was holing onto me pretty tight!!
IMG_7149.JPEG

IMG_7150.JPEG

He was thrilled that he went on & he loved it!!

A boy with his cars!!
IMG_7152.JPEG

IMG_7153.JPEG

We ended up going into Mouse Gear(totally awful experience). @Tuvalu I totally agree with you regarding this place!! It's a big letdown right now!!
IMG_7154.JPEG

And speaking of letdowns---let's walk through the wall maze why don't we??
IMG_7155.JPEG

IMG_7156.JPEG

IMG_7157.JPEG

Park Exit👏👏👏 There's actually a way out of that nightmare!!
IMG_7158.JPEG

riverside

Original Poster
SATURDAY, AUGUST 15TH

We had decided we were over the walls & it was time to leave.
IMG_7176.JPEG

IMG_7177.JPEG

We took an empty bus back to Saratoga Springs & decided to walk to DS for dinner. E had mentioned that she would like to eat at the Lava Lounge outside of the Rainforest Cafe b/c she wanted to eat on the water. It was early enough(about 5:00) so we figured we should be able to get seated.
IMG_7178.JPEG

It is a nice walk from Saratoga Spring to DS esp. when you know where you're going!! 🤣
IMG_7179.JPEG

It was pretty empty there!!
IMG_7180.JPEG

We got there & they told us that there was an unexpected emergency at the Lava Lounge & it was closed. We asked how long the wait was for the restaurant and were told 1 hour & 45 minutes!! They said that the bar is kid friendly & if we could find 3 seats there we were welcome to them. We found 3 so that's exactly what we did!!
IMG_7181.JPEG

Time for a drink!! I'm going to guess I had the margarita--sounds like something I'd get!!
IMG_7182.JPEG

No lady, I wasn't taking your pic but nice of you to smile!!
IMG_7184.JPEG

J looked happy!! He really enjoyed the theme of the restaurant!!
IMG_5330.JPEG

riverside

Original Poster
SATURDAY, AUGUST 15TH

E got the Aloha Salmon & Shrimp. She really enjoyed it!!
IMG_7186.JPEG

I got the shrimp tacos which I loved also!!
IMG_7187.JPEG

J got chicken quesadillas.
IMG_7189.JPEG

We walked around a bit and at some point I stopped & had my first ever Ghirardelli ice cream!!
IMG_7191.JPEG

Hot fudge I believe!!
IMG_7192.JPEG

IMG_7194.JPEG

We were pretty much done at DS so we headed back to the room early to just hang out before bed.
IMG_7195.JPEG

Last edited:

lindawdw

Poor J, so glad he's going to get the stitches out before your Disney trip! It is pretty sad looking with all those walls at Epcot. :( I've got four trips planned between October and April so I hope some of those walls come down between then! So exciting that J is wanting to experience some rides that he otherwise wouldn't have tried! Your dinners looked delicious at Rainforest. :)

Last edited:

riverside

Original Poster
Ouch! Hope J is ok! I’m sure that must’ve sucked. Sending positive vibes his way!

Enjoying your TR! And I loved the pictures from the Riviera. Such a beautiful looking resort.
He's doing good--thanks!!

It is a beautiful resort. I'm glad we got a chance to check it out!! Thank you!!
🤣 🤣 🤣
oh my! What a brave little guy to deal with that! Tell him we hope he feels better and that it heals soon.
Thank you!! Will do!! His dad told me yesterday that he doesn't think the staple removal is going to go so well. He thinks he's going to be very scared(I agree with him).
Oh poor J!
He was running around yesterday like nothing happened. I guess he's back to normal!!
Oh no!!! How did he do that??? Poor kid!
He hit his head off of a wall. Boys will be boys.....
Hope J is on the mend. Poor guy. Also...mashed potatoes?? There has to be a story there.
He is--thanks!!
I know I've mentioned in the past that I don't cook in the least. I know my friend @Darstarr is excellent at it. I offered to make mashed potatoes to take to E's yesterday(what was I thinking🤷‍♀️). I texted @Darstarr for some advice on how long to cook the potatoes. She knew this was big doings for me & it warranted a phone call response as opposed to a text!! She gave me great advice & the potatoes turned out excellent!! All 5 lbs of them were gone in no time at all!!
Poor J, so glad he's going to get the stitches out before your Disney trip! It is pretty sad looking all those walls at Epcot. :( I've got four trips planned between October and April so I hope some of those walls come down between then! So exciting that J is wanting to experience some rides that he otherwise wouldn't have tried! Your dinners looked delicious at Rainforest. :)
He's definitely going to be worked up when that day comes but the timing of them coming out is perfect!! 4 trips--that is so exciting!! Those walls really are a bummer. It's just too much at once.
Even without the Lego bribes he was pretty good about trying new things. Once we bribed him with a few & he realized how much he liked them(with the exception of FoP) he seemed more confident that he wanted to try more & more things!!
Rainforest isn't one of my favorites(not that there's anything wrong with it--it's nothing special though IMO). I don't hate it but I don't love it either. I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. I think my negativity for it comes in b/c every time I ate there(whether it be at DS or AK) there was always an issue. Either lousy service or waiting over an hour past our reservation time. I guess things like that put a bad taste in my mouth about it.

riverside

Original Poster
SUNDAY, AUGUST 16TH

Today was day 2 of HS!! We got to the bus stop at 10:00 & a bus was pulling in!!
IMG_7200.JPEG

I noticed the distancing markers had seen better days.
IMG_7201.JPEG

We ended up with a private ride to HS!!
IMG_7202.JPEG

IMG_7203.JPEG

My pathetic attempt at a selfie.
IMG_7204.JPEG

E to the rescue!!
IMG_5341.JPEG

IMG_7205.JPEG

We arrived at HS in no time at all. While going through security(of course my bag had to be checked)the security CM said to me, "Hey, you were at AK a few days ago." I must have had a puzzled look on my face b/c then he told me that he was there & remembered me. I was surprised esp. b/c that was the one time that my bag didn't set off the metal detector. I know the crowds were light but I was still amazed that he would remember.
IMG_7207.JPEG

It was a beautiful day!!
IMG_7208.JPEG

IMG_7209.JPEG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom