Politics 28000 Layoffs coming to Disney's domestic theme parks - statement from Josh D'Amaro

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

LastoneOn

Indeed. And we have the situation where there are part timers with decades of service being kicked out to be replaced by a full timer with a handful of years.
I'm old enough to remember when the full time jobs were being converted to part time and everyone was mad about that. Its fine to be upset, but the FACT IS: the customers keep going. Until you convince 18 million people a year that Disney is evil because of these decisions, these decisions will continue to be made.

So put YOUR money where your mouth is: quit going, quit posting in fan forums like this, and if you own this site and don't like Disney's decisions shut this site down or at least convert it to a anti-Disney site. Why keep feeding them the fandom and clicks?? It's easy to tell others to do things you won't: Highly educated blue county people like Warren do this all the time - its how they've made their millions and billions.

LastoneOn

I don't think that's what people are complaining about. They're complaining about all the cut positions that will actually affect the guest experience going forward, and there appear to be a ton of them.

Cutting the bloat and trim down is exactly what Iger has said he wants to do, but what he (and other senior management) considers bloat and what guests visiting the parks consider bloat may be very different things.

It all depends on whether those cuts are temporary or permanent, but as I said before, insiders have hinted that many (most?) of them are probably permanent.

With that said, I don't blame them. If they could, for example, eliminate all live entertainment in all the parks and yet still have people lining up to buy tickets, why wouldn't they? There's no downside for the company in that scenario.
There also seems to be this notion that some of us like these cuts. Maybe a few do, I sure don't. Strips the overall atmosphere. But to protest against them on some sort of fair pay or what not basis is just plain stupid.

Lora Baines Bradley

Disney provided their paycheck in a timely manor and for the agreed upon amount, I think that shows they valued their labor. 🤷‍♂️
Labor, maybe, but not them as people. It shows little appreciation for the work the front line CMs put in if they reinstate exec bonuses and then lay off thousands. It’s not an economic debate, it’s an ethical one.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I'm old enough to remember when the full time jobs were being converted to part time and everyone was mad about that. Its fine to be upset, but the FACT IS: the customers keep going. Until you convince 18 million people a year that Disney is evil because of these decisions, these decisions will continue to be made.

So put YOUR money where your mouth is: quit going, quit posting in fan forums like this, and if you own this site and don't like Disney's decisions shut this site down or at least convert it to a anti-Disney site. Why keep feeding them the fandom and clicks?? It's easy to tell others to do things you won't: Highly educated blue county people like Warren do this all the time - its how they've made their millions and billions.
I'm not telling anyone to do anything. Nowhere have I said Disney is evil , and nowhere have I told me to quit going. I want Disney to succeed, but that doesn't mean I have to agree to all of the decisions. And one I don't agree with is removing thousands of part timers that have devoted their working life to the company.

Last edited:

wannabeBelle

And let's not forget that the stock options etc. that many executives have SHOULD have them caring about the long term health and profitability of the company as a whole. I get that there was bloat at the mind management level and yes that should be looked at every so often in any good company. But to cut cast members when it negatively impacts the guest experience, is just short sighted at best. You are looking to attract guests at this point and open up as much of your business as you can safely to get back to work. I understand California is still a problem, which factors in, but to cut entertainment, staffing in your resorts that are open, staffing in your Parks which then increase the wait times for attractions etc. is not a good idea. It diminishes the perceived value for others who may consider coming for vacation. I have read many people saying they will wait until things are more back to normal in terms of fireworks, entertainment, shows etc. before they want to return. It is in Disney's interest to entice visitors, show them a great time and let the word out that Disney is back in the business of entertaining people. If people arent sure they will have a great time, they may pass on this vacation for now, which will further stagnate growth. Marie

Riverrafter21

Labor, maybe, but not them as people. It shows little appreciation for the work the front line CMs put in if they reinstate exec bonuses and then lay off thousands. It’s not an economic debate, it’s an ethical one.
Even a company that runs Fantasyland can't operate in it. While I agree thousands losing their employment is awful this was business decision by Disney. I see no ethical violations here.

I can appreciate where you are coming from though, but this this issue is purely economic.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
I don't think that's what people are complaining about. They're complaining about all the cut positions that will actually affect the guest experience going forward, and there appear to be a ton of them
It what Liz Warren was complaining about.

But seriously how long does avoiding layoffs go on? You’re now in charge of staffing for TWDC, Uncertainty surrounds everything for the foreseeable future with leisure and hospitality. How does Disney keep positions active with no end date in sight? Do you continue to pay people to stay home for a couple months or years before things get back to pre-pandemic? What’s your plan?

UNCgolf

But seriously how long does avoiding layoffs go on? You’re now in charge of staffing for TWDC, Uncertainty surrounds everything for the foreseeable future with leisure and hospitality. How does Disney keep positions active with no end date in sight? Do you continue to pay people to stay home for a couple months or years before things get back to pre-pandemic? What’s your plan?

I never suggested they should be keeping all of those employees on right now. I just don't think Disneyland's inability to reopen had any significant effect on the number terminated.

My concern is that they won't ever bring most of them back (not just the specific employees, but the positions themselves), and the parks will be significantly lesser experiences. That's been hinted at, at the very least. But as I said, if it doesn't stop people from going, they don't have much of an incentive to make a different decision.

kingdead

I think the problem is that Disney now has a rep as a company that wants to provide a pricey experience on the cheap. It's not so much the layoffs themselves--obviously there will be cuts when business is this badly affected--it's that this is a service-oriented business and you have to show ticket buyers that they're getting an experience that they can't get cheaper somewhere else. Yet it's assumed that Disney is going to try to keep the corona level of service AFTER they get back up to higher levels of attendance.

Put another way--If people can't see Mickey or Minnie or the princesses even when corona is "over," then why should they go all the way to Disney World when it's easier to just go to the beach/a cabin/a local theme park? (Or, if you're heading down to Florida anyway... why not pick Universal?)

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don't think that's what people are complaining about

Of course it's not what they are complaining about - because they are not being consistent, objective, or rational.

It all depends on whether those cuts are temporary or permanent, but as I said before, insiders have hinted that many (most?) of them are probably permanent.

Changes are only permanent until they decide that's what they want to do again. I think people should be more bothered about what the leadership sees the product as going forwards... but everyone is all wrapped around expecting TWDC to be some unemployment program....

flynnibus

Premium Member

It's an emotional one used by the lay to try to flame the masses. If you were so concerned about Bonuses... one would realize bonuses are paid conditionally based on performance. You think people are hitting performance goals set last fall??

maxairmike

Disney isn't paying any part time CMs to stay at home. About the only significant, "payable" benefit part time receives is the education program (as far as I'm aware, IIRC part time lost their ability to get company sponsored health insurance back around 2012/13).

LastoneOn

I'm not telling anyone to do anything. Nowhere have I said Disney is evil , and nowhere have I told me to quit going. I want Disney to succeed, but that doesn't mean I have to agree to all of the decisions. And one I don't agree with is removing thousands of part timers that have voted their working life to the company.
I know, I know. We all want Disney to succeed and I damn sure don't agree with everything Disney does. Not IT outsourcing, not the constant entertainment cuts and so forth. The rhetoric gets overheated very quickly and if there is no rebuttal next thing you know we're protesting and storming the turnstiles to burn down the castle. The fact remains Disney is not running a jobs program and has no obligation to employee anybody. Until enough of us stop going, stop buying their decisions are affirmed. As yet I haven't so I am as hypocritical as everyone else, but I accept that Disney has a right to run its business - while many around here seem to think they don't.

Jrb1979

I know, I know. We all want Disney to succeed and I damn sure don't agree with everything Disney does. Not IT outsourcing, not the constant entertainment cuts and so forth. The rhetoric gets overheated very quickly and if there is no rebuttal next thing you know we're protesting and storming the turnstiles to burn down the castle. The fact remains Disney is not running a jobs program and has no obligation to employee anybody. Until enough of us stop going, stop buying their decisions are affirmed. As yet I haven't so I am as hypocritical as everyone else, but I accept that Disney has a right to run its business - while many around here seem to think they don't.
What you posted has been the issue for a long time and that is so many just accept everything Disney does. I only go once every few years now as I get more moneys worth out of my Cedar Fair platinum pass then much of what Disney has been offering the last few years.

lentesta

Premium Member
When the shareholders leave because it’s no longer a viable investment, what powers the company? Pixie Dust? Does anyone really believe that TWDC is in a good place right now?

Do you ... do you have any evidence at all that shows shareholders would sell? Because it's easy to find studies that show a positive correlation between charitable giving and shareholder value. [Cite Cite Cite].

There's this implicit assumption in the US that "it has to be this way" or that "the market demands" these actions. This CNBC article says Disney was "forced" to lay off CMS.

But Disney wasn't forced to do it, and countries like Germany show that there are alternatives to the US version of capitalism.

The first step is pointing out that it's a choice, made by actual people, to lay off 28,000 CMs while paying shareholders a $3B dividend.

Let's identify the specific individuals involved and have them explain themselves. Because another way of looking at this layoff is that local, state, and federal taxpayers are now on the hook for their welfare.

maxairmike

I haven’t seen anyone even suggesting that.

People seem to think that there's some gigantic cost associated with keeping part time Cast furloughed, like the company paying 100% of health care premiums for the enrolled full time Cast. As far as I'm aware, there's not. The only direct cost (again, as far as I'm aware) is the education benefit, which I would expect to get pared down anyway as things continue not looking great. One could argue the admission privileges as well, but that's not a direct cost.

I don't see some massive economic/financial downside for the company to keeping part time Cast on furlough and letting natural attrition as folks don't get called back immediately take it's course over time and the almost certain scaling back of benefits as a furlough continues.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom