Politics 28000 Layoffs coming to Disney's domestic theme parks - statement from Josh D'Amaro

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Up until now there was still plenty of reason for me to go.

I was expecting this to happen after Christmas / New Years. In my mind I was going to get to go and say goodbye on a holiday Trip in November. That’s not going to happen now I guess :(

Fun fact (I’ll whine now)...I just sold a DVC reservation to someone from Hazzard county (or somewhere)...gave the grapefruit state EVERY opportunity to get things taken care of...waited patiently more than most of my megalopolis tribe...
Was even willing to deal with the nonsense ticket restrictions...the masks...the lack of better food options...etc. I thought the change of pace before a LONG winter was worth it to the fam...

But they couldn’t pull it off. Can’t get to the numbers and have no interest in doing it. Disney is caught in the middle of it.

But I’m just one guy?
Maybe...actually no. So in the upscale suburb which they mistakenly allowed me to sneak into and dwell...quick Facebook group scan says at least 75% of typical “Jersey week” travelers have cancelled. State quarantine rules just aren’t worth the hassle. That’s a good indicator of just how much Disney is getting racked. Those hotels aren’t closed for nothing...and they won’t operate regional indefinitely.

Disney is not a charity, they are a business. If those 28,000 people are losing them money than they should lay them off. It is not economically efficient to keep people around who are not adding to economic output.

I bet the greedy selfish Warren collects all the pay she can and barely gives any to charity. But here she is lecturing a for profit company to screw over their owners. What a loser.

she’s a loudmouth who does nothing but complain. Change the laws if you want to see something different, lawmaker ...
You mad, bros?

Unbelievable. Imagine the astounding mental gymnastics it must take to convince yourself that this is the way things have to be.

Fun fact - top level executives make more per hour than the average Disney employee earns in a year. Every single top level executive could live off of last year's salary, alone, comfortably for the rest of their lives. What a shocker that they had to lay off 28,000 people rather than continue to slash the salaries of said executives.

And Warren is fine to anyone who isn't a conservative simpleton living in a red county armpit.
It’s almost like it’s a pro-greed/Anti-worker rant?

Nah...can’t be...you never see that 😳

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The parks have been packed this week. I have my doubts about their touted "25% capacity" number because the parks look absolutely no different from an average pre-covid day. Though the lines are moving fast due to no Fastpass, every line is extending far beyond its normal entrance point. They extend far enough in some instances that the queue would be beyond full even without social distancing. This is also in part a symptom of no Fastpass, but I assure you, even with these lines that seem physically long, the parks are far more enjoyable without Fastpass.

But anyway, its disheartening to see full, bustling parks while simultaneously seeing all these cuts and layoffs happen as if the demand isn't there. Because, it is. It just wasn't there in July or August.

You might consider the lack of sit downs/indoor dining venues, fastpass ride management, and restrictions/apprehension about packing stores MAY have on the appearance of “crowds” in the parks. Crowd distribution is a complex model and the tools aren’t available to hide numbers/dictate flow.

Jrb1979

The parks have been packed this week. I have my doubts about their touted "25% capacity" number because the parks look absolutely no different from an average pre-covid day. Though the lines are moving fast due to no Fastpass, every line is extending far beyond its normal entrance point. They extend far enough in some instances that the queue would be beyond full even without social distancing. This is also in part a symptom of no Fastpass, but I assure you, even with these lines that seem physically long, the parks are far more enjoyable without Fastpass.

But anyway, its disheartening to see full, bustling parks while simultaneously seeing all these cuts and layoffs happen as if the demand isn't there. Because, it is. It just wasn't there in July or August.
While it's busier then July and August the demand to fill the resorts isn't there.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Fun fact - top level executives make more per hour than the average Disney employee earns in a year. Every single top level executive could live off of last year's salary, alone, comfortably for the rest of their lives. What a shocker that they had to lay off 28,000 people rather than continue to slash the salaries of said executives for pay that they do not need to survive at all.
So even if every one of them forfeited their salary it would not have any meaningful change in the end result.

Also are you seriously equating the responsibilities and compensation of a the ceo of a multi billion dollar multinational company with a CM who parks strollers?

Sobering Fact: there would be a lot less layoffs if Warren’s buddy in Blue California let them open their park up, which we know they can do safely and responsibly.

UNCgolf

Sobering Fact: there would be a lot less layoffs if Warren’s buddy in Blue California let them open their park up, which we know they can do safely and responsibly.

This is wrong, as has been stated numerous times by insiders. They were already planning to eliminate the vast majority of these jobs; COVID has just given them a convenient excuse to do it all at once.

Even if they hadn't said so, though, I don't know why anyone would believe Disneyland being open at a significantly reduced capacity would have had a major effect on the bottom line.

Tom Morrow

Warren is fine to any left winger self-anointed elitist snob from a broke blue county cesspool of misery.
AKA "any county that matters", such as Orange County, Florida.

Hint: educated people overwhelmingly do NOT live in red counties.

So even if every one of them forfeited their salary it would not have any meaningful change in the end result.

Also are you seriously equating the responsibilities and compensation of a the ceo of a multi billion dollar multinational company with a CM who parks strollers?

If one CEO forfeited their salary equivalent to just one hour our of their year it would offset an entire year's salary for one or more CM's. Just. One. Hour. Yes, it would make a difference, it wouldn't save all the jobs, but then again maybe they shouldn't have spent 70 billion on FOX just because, at the time, they could.

And no, I'm not equating their importance. But it's laughably naive to think that top level executives do the equivalent work of their compensation. This thought process is basically bootlicking. Also, there is NO CM who's job is to "just park strollers", and you just threw that in to undermine them.

Disneyland remaining closed is a scapegoat by Disney themselves because its better than admitting "we bled money for six months from every aspect of our company oh and also we were planning on doing most of this anyway."

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Warren is fine to any left winger self-anointed elitist snob from a broke blue county cesspool of misery.

...is that you again, X??
This is wrong, as has been stated numerous times by insiders. They were already planning to eliminate the vast majority of these jobs; COVID has just given them a convenient excuse to do it all at once.

Even if they hadn't said so, though, I don't know why anyone would believe Disneyland being open at a significantly reduced capacity would have had a major effect on the bottom line.

But why let the reality stand in the way of a thinly veiled misunderstanding of politics and economics??

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
AKA "any county that matters", such as Orange County, Florida.

Hint: educated people overwhelmingly do NOT live in red counties.

If one CEO forfeited their salary equivalent to just one hour our of their year it would offset an entire year's salary for one or more CM's. Just. One. Hour. Yes, it would make a difference, it wouldn't save all the jobs, but then again maybe they shouldn't have spent 70 billion on FOX just because, at the time, they could.

And no, I'm not equating their importance. But it's laughably naive to think that top level executives do the equivalent work of their compensation. This thought process is basically bootlicking. Also, there is NO CM who's job is to "just park strollers", and you just threw that in to undermine them.

Disneyland remaining closed is a scapegoat by Disney themselves because its better than admitting "we bled money for six months from every aspect of our company oh and also we were planning on doing most of this anyway."

Chapeks salary is $10mil that equates to 400 cast members making $25K/year.

Igers salary was $48mil that equates to 1920 making $25K/year.

If you total up all the executive salaries you don’t even make it 1/4 of the CM laid off.

BTW if you think DLR staying closed is a scapegoat, what should they do? Continue to pay everyone as if nothing is wrong? TWDC is hemorrhaging. If you’re naive enough to think it’s sustainable you’re in fantasy land.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member

So if no pandemic occurred and there was no interruption of any park operations including the indefinite closure of one of the domestic parks, TWDC would have still laid off 28K CM including all those performers and all those in entertainment?

They would have laid of a large fraction of WDW and DLR CM, end the DCP and international CM program?

Layoffs are no surprise to Disney, even in good times, they always cut mercilessly. I would agree that they were going to cut what they thought was “excess”, but no one has said anywhere that it was going to be on the scale of what has transpired so far.

The parks are going to take time to get back to pre-pandemic levels. It’s not going to be a light switch. The sooner they open the sooner they can start recovering as more people become more comfortable returning to normal activities. The longer DLR stays closed the longer it’s recovery will take.

Last edited:

DisneyYorkian74

Fighting for a living-sustainable wage, a job with benefits, and an employer that sees you as more than just a number should not be a partisan issue.

There’s something obviously very wrong with the US’ idea of capitalism and it amazes me when people demonize hourly wage workers, while excusing the continuance of paying millions to CEOs and top executives.

Welfare is only wrong when it’s set up to help the most in need... but it’s perfectly fine to turn a blind eye when Corporate Welfare continues to only help the rich get richer.

Warren’s questions are certainly valid, and they’re not specific to just Disney. All American Corporations work this way - when will things change?!

Unbelievable. Imagine the astounding mental gymnastics it must take to convince yourself that this is the way things have to be.

Fun fact - top level executives make more per hour than the average Disney employee earns in a year. Every single top level executive could live off of last year's salary, alone, comfortably for the rest of their lives. What a shocker that they had to lay off 28,000 people rather than continue to slash the salaries of said executives for pay that they do not need to survive at all.

And Warren is fine to anyone who isn't a conservative simpleton living in a red county armpit.
Ceo have big salaries for the same reason Doctors and Dentist do : Legal Liability. Only one small bad decision or mistake could cost them jail and to lose all their money and career. They get hundred or thousands of stock holders ready to sue for any bad decision. Just like a doctor with every patient.

People need to stop repeating this anti CEO salary thing, makes you sound uneducated. When covid happened, Disney got huge loans to secure jobs and salaries, 11 billion dollars, but the plan required the parks to open to 25%. The only reason for layoffs is because the California governor is a moron. Disney was going to save every job until we get back to normal.

Disney Analyst

Unfortunately this is what actually being close to 25% capacity looks like. Before they weren’t getting near it, now they are.

So actually almost hitting that capacity, plus reduced ride capacity, store capacity, dining, and entertainment options = a much more crowded looking park.

Vegas Disney Fan

Chapeks salary is $10mil that equates to 400 cast members making $25K/year.

Igers salary was $48mil that equates to 1920 making $25K/year.

If you total up all the executive salaries you don’t even make it 1/4 of the CM laid off.

BTW if you think DLR staying closed is a scapegoat, what should they do? Continue to pay everyone as if nothing is wrong? TWDC is hemorrhaging. If you’re naive enough to think it’s sustainable you’re in fantasy land.
And that’s including bonuses, which are incredibly unlikely this year, Chapeks base salary (excluding incentive bonuses) is $2.5 million and Igers is $3 million. $5.5 million divided by 28,000 employees =$196.42 per laid off employee, or about a day and a half of work at $15 an hour.

Even if we assume they get their full bonuses (excluding Igers $20 million in stock) it would equal $34 million or about $1200 per employee, they’d still be laying everyone off, just a week and a half later.

The reality is if they eliminated their salaries it wouldn’t have changed anything, Disneys expenses are in the billions, a few million is a drop in the bucket. The only thing that will save CM jobs is DL reopening and millions of tourists returning to the parks, doesn’t look like DL will happen anytime soon and the millions of tourists returning is even further away.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom