News Disney announces strategic restructuring of media and entertainment divisions.

_caleb

I frankly hate all this streaming junk. While cable has been getting expensive at least I get live TV and live sports something that streaming services don't give you. To be honest I have yet to find any original series that any of the services have put out to be good. It feels like nobody likes live TV anymore.
I subscribe to Hulu+Live TV. It's a streaming service that has live TV.

Nobody "likes" live TV anymore because other than news and sports, TV isn't "live." What's the value in the weekly-released broadcast network TV show format?

You haven't found a single show or movie that you like in all the originals coming out of Disney+, Hulu, Netflix, HBO, Peacock, YouTube, Amazon Prime, etc.?

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Yes, but budget alone it would be considered tentpole.

It suffered from it's theatrical release date being moved three or four times.

True. Budget alone would consider it tent pole and while not positioned for the holiday season, was designed for a nice March opening. I just don't think it was treated the same way as it prepared for launch for D+

I agree.

I do think we're going to see a blurring of lines between "television series," "feature film," and well, every other category of filmmaking. Just like Netflix originals are moving away from the traditional 24-minute and 44-minute lengths, streaming means that the old categories and limitations are becoming passé (see "Quibi" and even TikTok).

My point is that I'm not sure the blockbuster-style, "tent-pole" films are going to be a thing in the streaming future. Streaming services won't be going after one big audience, but trying to go deep with lots of smaller, niche audiences. Sure, some movies will be huge, but I think the Disney's (and all the studios') big bet is on the streaming platform itself rather than any content for that platform.

I think there's a market for big picture blockbuster movies. The question becomes, how do you do it when just about everything else can go to streaming. Do you just release it on your platform for an upcharge for six months? Do you do drive-in theaters to make it that 'big event' feeling?

I frankly hate all this streaming junk. While cable has been getting expensive at least I get live TV and live sports something that streaming services don't give you. To be honest I have yet to find any original series that any of the services have put out to be good. It feels like nobody likes live TV anymore.

That's surprising. Because it seems like many people prefer what's on streaming versus basic/cable TV. What shows do you like on standard TV?

Nobody "likes" live TV anymore because other than news and sports, TV isn't "live." What's the value in the weekly-released broadcast network TV show format?

You haven't found a single show or movie that you like in all the originals coming out of Disney+, Hulu, Netflix, HBO, Peacock, YouTube, Amazon Prime, etc.?

Most of my watching comes from streaming platforms these days. Only a handful of shows that are traditional (I wish I could quit you Grey's Anatomy...)

Jrb1979

There have a couple I liked. Glow was fantastic and sad to see that one end. The other was the new Unsolved mysteries on Netflix. I mostly end watching old tv series as I find them much more enjoyable. Part of it is the over hype of these so called amazing series. For examples, Mandalorian was Meh and Stranger Things was awful

_caleb

There have a couple I liked. Glow was fantastic and sad to see that one end. The other was the new Unsolved mysteries on Netflix. I mostly end watching old tv series as I find them much more enjoyable. Part of it is the over hype of these so called amazing series. For examples, Mandalorian was Meh and Stranger Things was awful
I’m glad so much of the old stuff is available to stream. We’ve been watching the old Bob Newhart show. So. Funnny!

Ldno

Stock market is loving the shift from parks to Streaming,. I’m kind of let down to be honest. But what can we do.

Jrb1979

That's surprising. Because it seems like many people prefer what's on streaming versus basic/cable TV. What shows do you like on standard TV?
I watch standard TV for sports, my local news and Smackdown.
What’s to hate about Disney+?
I don't hate it but for me there's not enough that interests me to pay for it. None of the new movies interest me and don't get me started on all the live action remakes.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Stock market is loving the shift from parks to Streaming,. I’m kind of let down to be honest. But what can we do.
Wall Street has been on Disney's side ever since the last quarterly report that Disney didn't have a net loss during the quarter in which parks and cruises were shut down. They know Disney isn't going backwards (tho, moving forward would be better). This makes Disney the ideal stock to grab while it's low with the presumption it isn't going to crash and will go way up once the vaccine comes. Also, good news on vaccines drives Wall Streets' optimism on companies that can hang on for another 6-8 months.

The good news of how well Disney's streaming efforts have been and how the linear channels aren't crashing (yet) also drives Disney stock optimism.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
*If* Disney (the current one, not the one at the time Iger become CEO) were looking for a reason move away from parks, this would have been the time to unload the Chinese parks (as some "insiders" were saying were going to happen) and close up DL and blame it all on China and California.

Going to PR war with Newsom kinda shows Disney would like to keep the parks and to keep them open.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There’s absolutely no reason why you can’t get live sports or programming via stream.

It’s just not there yet from a contract/regulatory standpoint.

Cable survives in the US because of hi speed internet...it would likely be in its death knell if the carriers didn’t not jump on high speed 20+ years ago as a bundle vessel.

Last edited:

Jrb1979

There’s absolutely no reason why you can’t get live sports or programming via steam.

It’s just not there yet from a contract/regulatory standpoint.

Cable survives in the US because of hi speed internet...it would likely be in its death knell if the carriers didn’t not jump on high speed 20+ years ago as a bundle vessel.
In Canada it's hard to get much of anything online due to the monopoly that is the Canadian TV companies.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
*If* Disney (the current one, not the one at the time Iger become CEO) were looking for a reason move away from parks, this would have been the time to unload the Chinese parks (as some "insiders" were saying were going to happen) and close up DL and blame it all on China and California.

Going to PR war with Newsom kinda shows Disney would like to keep the parks and to keep them open.

That’s a bit of political theater.

I canned a trip to wdw today...I gave them every shot to have me...but Florida nor the US is serious enough about getting things moving in a positive direction. Disney is just waiting it out...so park business is and will be in semi-standby for the foreseeable future.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom