Politics 28000 Layoffs coming to Disney's domestic theme parks - statement from Josh D'Amaro

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

UNCgolf

with the amount of IP Disney has, there will never be any logical reason going forward for them to add an attraction or replace one without an IP attached to it. it may not be what everyone wants to hear, but it just makes business sense for Disney.

Not necessarily. It's easier for a non-IP attraction to work long-term. Building IP attractions can lead to a Universal situation where you feel like you have to replace them every 15-20 years because the IP is no longer relevant (at least relevant enough to drive attendance).

Of course it depends on the attraction itself. How much the attraction depends on the IP to work, the quality level regardless of IP, etc. but if, say, Haunted Mansion had been built as a heavy tie-in to a 1960s horror movie, it's unlikely it would still exist today.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
IBEW Local 606 posted an update -

Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 3.26.34 PM.png

Lilofan

This seems troubling. With all major attractions operating, why would they be needing to lay off maintenance? I suppose some of them may be spread out to resorts, I see the laundry systems so that makes sense since so many resorts are closed.
It's possible that if park hours are shorter than before less workers are needed for the different shifts during the day.

Jrb1979

I have some seasonal friends who were terminated. Doesn't make a ton of sense to me. The company pays them no benefits and they are not guaranteed any hours. Seems like you'd want a bank of trained people to cull from during the peak times.
They must not be expecting that to happen anytime soon.

UNCgolf

I have some seasonal friends who were terminated. Doesn't make a ton of sense to me. The company pays them no benefits and they are not guaranteed any hours. Seems like you'd want a bank of trained people to cull from during the peak times.

I think this just further proves the point several people have made that Iger/Chapek/management wants these to be permanent cuts. Even when the parks are crowded again, they aren't planning to hire back most of these people because they want to have fewer employees in general.

Last edited:

zombiebbq

Oh, I don't either. I agree that that's what's going to happen.

I just don't think it's necessarily the smartest business decision.
Me personally, I'm trying to figure out how they thought massively reducing staff made good business sense (long term, obviously short term it does because it reduces costs and raises profitability). Most of these cuts are permanent, and in the works pre-Covid.

Which means they somehow thought it was acceptable to reduce staff in conjunction with a variety of measures designed to increase attendance: new resorts, epcot overhaul, several big ticket attractions just built and on the way. so they want to pack in people over the next 5+ years with far less staff to assist? I have to imagine guest satisfaction would take a huge dive. Do they just not care?

...this train of thought is not counting what Covid has done to attendance of course.

ImperfectPixie

Me personally, I'm trying to figure out how they thought massively reducing staff made good business sense (long term, obviously short term it does because it reduces costs and raises profitability). Most of these cuts are permanent, and in the works pre-Covid.

Which means they somehow thought it was acceptable to reduce staff in conjunction with a variety of measures designed to increase attendance: new resorts, epcot overhaul, several big ticket attractions just built and on the way. so they want to pack in people over the next 5+ years with far less staff to assist? I have to imagine guest satisfaction would take a huge dive. Do they just not care?

...this train of thought is not counting what Covid has done to attendance of course.
That's the Walmart model...so help me if they pull that...

JoeCamel

This week and today have been another day of carnage. So so sad.

My thoughts are with those affected.
I agree, the people are what is important. This company will be and operate in a different vein going forward.
My 6pm brain drifts to what would you do if you wanted to make a division attractive to a buyer? Make it lean? Have excellent prospects of growth but will take time and investment?
I know, I know it is not what is going on but the thoughts just boil and bubble....
I do own a flame suit for any that feel the need to skewer for even letting this cross the threshold of my awareness, blast away.

Lilofan

I agree, the people are what is important. This company will be and operate in a different vein going forward.
My 6pm brain drifts to what would you do if you wanted to make a division attractive to a buyer? Make it lean? Have excellent prospects of growth but will take time and investment?
I know, I know it is not what is going on but the thoughts just boil and bubble....
I do own a flame suit for any that feel the need to skewer for even letting this cross the threshold of my awareness, blast away.
Comcast tried to buy Disney years ago. The Disney Board said their offer was too low.

techgeek

Regarding cuts, especially ones that were 'in the works' prior to Covid... have we heard any noise lately about completely (or partially) outsourcing any departments? I know that's a trick that's been in Disney's playbook in the past, but probably one that union contracts don't allow them to take as far as they might wish.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom