Politics 28000 Layoffs coming to Disney's domestic theme parks - statement from Josh D'Amaro

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

TrainsOfDisney

It might not have been exactly connected to your post, but I just used it as a jumping off point when talking about alternate transportation options. I do that sometime when there seems to be a need to add another dimension to the discussion. Mears is the magical express and the other options also include Mears but is it the same? And maybe it explains why just when they should be doing whatever they can to insure that people show up in droves, they seem to make that more and more difficult. However, I think they always have a fiscal reason for everything they do. And a Pandemic allows them to make multiple changes that can be blamed on the virus. The proof will be when the all clear is sounded. Then we see if they go back to the way it was. I'm betting they won't.
Ah ok. I was talking about Mears operated taxis, so that’s where the confusion comes in I guess.

Lora Baines Bradley

I didn't read the union report, but my roommate is a furloughed part-time CM and said they would be let go but still might be able to be called back at a later date. I assume this means if the need arises in the future, that they would contact part-timers first for future job opportunities?

JoeCamel

I didn't read the union report, but my roommate is a furloughed part-time CM and said they would be let go but still might be able to be called back at a later date. I assume this means if the need arises in the future, that they would contact part-timers first for future job opportunities?
They have invested in training these people so I would think they would want to retain that knowledge if possible and rehire those who were let go if available.

Slpy3270

If Disney is not able to open all parks by spring and avoid further layoffs then Josh D'Amaro should resign. There's no way he'll be able to run the unit the way he desires if Chapek is determined to cut costs everywhere for the next decade, regardless of the long-term consequences to the brand image and employee morale. Any other Disney executive or employee who cares about the company's future should do the same.

Chapek is going to be 2000-05 Eisner all over again.

Lilofan

If Disney is not able to open all parks by spring and avoid further layoffs then Josh D'Amaro should resign. There's no way he'll be able to run the unit the way he desires if Chapek is determined to cut costs everywhere for the next decade, regardless of the long-term consequences to the brand image and employee morale. Any other Disney executive or employee who cares about the company's future should do the same.

Josh running the unit the way he desires? Not in the real world. He reports to someone.

Jrb1979

They just cut more entertainment.

Goofyernmost

Just because we don't understand Iger completely because they don't think that he paid enough attention to the parks doesn't mean that he wasn't a strong force in the growth of TWDC. His actions are what put Disney in a good financial position needed to ride out this storm. If he hadn't diversified in the ways he did the place would have been sold off in pieces months ago. Look at the big picture, not just a small slice of it.

Jrb1979

Just because we don't understand Iger completely because they don't think that he paid enough attention to the parks doesn't mean that he was a strong force in the growth of TWDC. His actions are what put Disney in a good financial position needed to ride out this storm. If he hadn't diversified in the ways he did the place would have been sold off in pieces months ago. Look at the big picture, not just a small slice of it.
Cause IP overload is the way to go. Yeah the acquisition of Marvel was good and Disney+ as well but shoehorning IP everywhere has ruined the Mouse.

Goofyernmost

Cause IP overload is the way to go. Yeah the acquisition of Marvel was good and Disney+ as well but shoehorning IP everywhere has ruined the Mouse.
Judging from the pre-Pandemic crowds filing in day after day to the parks, I think your idea of ruin is a little exaggerated. Everyone is entitled to their own likes and dislikes, but that isn't an indication of the actuality of overall public opinion.

Jrb1979

Judging from the pre-Pandemic crowds filing in day after day to the parks, I think your idea of ruin is a little exaggerated. Everyone is entitled to their own likes and dislikes, but that isn't an indication of the actuality of overall public opinion.
IMO they ruined it with the bombardment of IP. For some reason the casual and hardcore Disney fans love it. Putting a fictitious snowman in Norway and a Rat on France is awful. Putting in original attractions like originally planned would be much better. Leave the IP for Magic Kingdom

zombiebbq

IMO they ruined it with the bombardment of IP. For some reason the casual and hardcore Disney fans love it. Putting a fictitious snowman in Norway and a Rat on France is awful. Putting in original attractions like originally planned would be much better. Leave the IP for Magic Kingdom
with the amount of IP Disney has, there will never be any logical reason going forward for them to add an attraction or replace one without an IP attached to it. it may not be what everyone wants to hear, but it just makes business sense for Disney.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Slpy3270

with the amount of IP Disney has, there will never be any logical reason going forward for them to add an attraction or replace one without an IP attached to it. it may not be what everyone wants to hear, but it just makes business sense for Disney.
Not if attendance levels don't improve dramatically. Before the pandemic Universal was rapidly growing its attendance levels while Disney's were generally flat. Galaxy's Edge did nothing to improve those levels.

As the top dog of theme parks, that's not a healthy position to be in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom