Don't wanna be angry, but I am...[Rant]

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
I don't want to be mad at the Disney Company, I really don't! They have provided such an escape for me especially during my tumultuous childhood. Won't go into details of that, but you could imagine the need for a positive outlook such as something simple as a Disney World commercial and how much that gave to a child going through something somewhat severe and traumatizing.

However, over the last few short years, their business decisions have left me and my previous love for the place in a lot of question. I get that things need to change over time as changes are needed and are a big part of life to keep things moving forward, as well as for a company and that company's future prospects.

[Please know that I am not looking at the place in Rose Colored glasses (if that is even the correct saying). I have seen and dealt with bad and have become quite observant to which is what at a logical standpoint...not exactly sure as to why I have to point this out, but there you go.]

But, the re-imagining to take out per se' the Disney creative side of things just to help with customer flow, increase in sales, ways to provide more merchandise, has slowly over time began to weigh heavily in the back of my mind.

I don't hate IPs, I don't hate re-imaginings but Disney how somehow been able to take the "Disney" out of Disney for me.

Please don't hate (too much) as this is totally personal opinion, but don't feel discouraged to comment.

How do you all feel with Disney World and the current direction it is heading?

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Yeah I've been noticing it since 2015. There were some mishaps under Eisners later years but my goodness have Iger / chapek completely changed the Disney parks image for the worst.

Reminds me of EA. Used to be the golden company for creating amazing games, now just a blatant cash grab regime offering half-completed products for full price and then some.

Ricky Spanish

I don't want to be mad at the Disney Company, I really don't! They have provided such an escape for me especially during my tumultuous childhood. Won't go into details of that, but you could imagine the need for a positive outlook such as something simple as a Disney World commercial and how much that gave to a child going through something somewhat severe and traumatizing.

However, over the last few short years, their business decisions have left me and my previous love for the place in a lot of question. I get that things need to change over time as changes are needed and are a big part of life to keep things moving forward, as well as for a company and that company's future prospects.

[Please know that I am not looking at the place in Rose Colored glasses (if that is even the correct saying). I have seen and dealt with bad and have become quite observant to which is what at a logical standpoint...not exactly sure as to why I have to point this out, but there you go.]

But, the re-imagining to take out per se' the Disney creative side of things just to help with customer flow, increase in sales, ways to provide more merchandise, has slowly over time began to weigh heavily in the back of my mind.

I don't hate IPs, I don't hate re-imaginings but Disney how somehow been able to take the "Disney" out of Disney for me.

Please don't hate (too much) as this is totally personal opinion, but don't feel discouraged to comment.

How do you all feel with Disney World and the current direction it is heading?
So if you don’t mind me asking, what pushed you over the edge?

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
So if you don’t mind me asking, what pushed you over the edge?
To be completely honest it was the massive amount of layoffs . That was the straw that broke the camels back for me.

Preface: I did NOT know about the upcoming layoffs and this took me completely by surprise as I am sure it did with Cast Members that lost their jobs.

Over the years, the artistic direction started to slowly eat at me first; removing classic rides, refurbishing stores to minimalizing artistic standards. There were times I had to stop and tell myself it was still Disney, and unfortunately the more they got rid of the more I had to keep repeating that to myself in order to pay the prices.

Speaking of prices, following the art direction, the business side of things started adding to that as well; the pricing of everything going so to almost unreasonable compared to quality offered such as food and other products/experiences..

But the layoffs, including the loss of some well-known partisans of the parks really drove me over the edge. That was the art and business side of it combined that was such a major loss. In my humble opinion, the people made the parks. You walk into the Disney bubble and you get these people that work there that are out of this world with kindness and offer you their talents just to put a darn smile on your face.

That is what made Disney so very different from other theme parks for me were the very people that loved being there and making others happy.

The Disney bubble for me kind of...well...popped.

Ricky Spanish

To be completely honest it was the massive amount of layoffs . That was the straw that broke the camels back for me.

Preface: I did NOT know about the upcoming layoffs and this took me completely by surprise as I am sure it did with Cast Members that lost their jobs.

Over the years, the artistic direction started to slowly eat at me first; removing classic rides, refurbishing stores to minimalizing artistic standards. There were times I had to stop and tell myself it was still Disney, and unfortunately the more they got rid of the more I had to keep repeating that to myself in order to pay the prices.

Speaking of prices, following the art direction, the business side of things started adding to that as well; the pricing of everything going so to almost unreasonable compared to quality offered such as food and other products/experiences..

But the layoffs, including the loss of some well-known partisans of the parks really drove me over the edge. That was the art and business side of it combined that was such a major loss. In my humble opinion, the people made the parks. You walk into the Disney bubble and you get these people that work there that are out of this world with kindness and offer you their talents just to put a darn smile on your face.

That is what made Disney so very different from other theme parks for me were the very people that loved being there and making others happy.

The Disney bubble for me kind of...well...popped.
Ok.
I’m just surprised that the lay offs didn’t happen sooner.

JIMINYCR

I'm in agreement that changes to WDW are difficult to accept and no matter what gets taken out or put in, someones not going to be happy. We have to roll with the changes and accept them for what they are because we dont really have any say, we dont have the position of power, and we arent the ones in control of the operations of the business. I would have rather Disney stay true to the type of attractions of old and not IP based had taken over. But Disney had to stay in competition of Uni and others and thats the direction the industry took to satisfy the next generation of park goers
I wholly agree the massive layoffs are horrendous. They will poorly affect so many lives for long to come. Its not just Disney but many businesses all over are having to make hard decisions that they never imagined they would have to make. But its business trying to stay alive. Many will close permanently. Fact is businesses are managed by the dollars that are brought in and how they are invested. Disney having shut down and not seeing numbers improve has forced them to make cuts and sadly people get cut first. Thats always been the way it is. Disney, just because its Disney and it makes you feel good, doesnt make them any less vulnerable than any other business. No one could have thought this virus would impact all Americans the way it has but we have to be prepared for the worst and pray it will end sooner than later. As this goes on, any worker, in any job can find themselves laid off without much notice.

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
I'm in agreement that changes to WDW are difficult to accept and no matter what gets taken out or put in, someones not going to be happy. We have to roll with the changes and accept them for what they are because we dont really have any say, we dont have the position of power, and we arent the ones in control of the operations of the business. I would have rather Disney stay true to the type of attractions of old and not IP based had taken over. But Disney had to stay in competition of Uni and others and thats the direction the industry took to satisfy the next generation of park goers
I wholly agree the massive layoffs are horrendous. They will poorly affect so many lives for long to come. Its not just Disney but many businesses all over are having to make hard decisions that they never imagined they would have to make. But its business trying to stay alive. Many will close permanently. Fact is businesses are managed by the dollars that are brought in and how they are invested. Disney having shut down and not seeing numbers improve has forced them to make cuts and sadly people get cut first. Thats always been the way it is. Disney, just because its Disney and it makes you feel good, doesnt make them any less vulnerable than any other business. No one could have thought this virus would impact all Americans the way it has but we have to be prepared for the worst and pray it will end sooner than later. As this goes on, any worker, in any job can find themselves laid off without much notice.
Very sad, but very true.

Edit: It wasn't just the happenings of the virus for me though, however the virus did show the darkness and reality of it all.

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
I still stand by my original post though.

When Disney first closed at the beginning of this year, I too was devastated as I was planning a trip later this year. But, I was also amazed that the company did so because the virus and it's impacts and was actually very very glad to stand by such a company and their huge but losing move to shut the parks down to pretty much save lives.

However, them reopening did not uphold my love (or what was left there) for the company. The virus continues to impact the states and even though the company needs money, pushing people to go back right now does not bode well with me, thus adding to the list I presented earlier of my continuing disdain for the company.

But I love(d) Disney. I used to obsess about the parks and got my husband hooked as well.

Things do change, and so do outlooks. Definitely.

Brer Panther

I'm just gonna re-post this...

My faith in Disney has been dwindling since, I'd say, 2014 or 2016. Regardless, when I went to Disney World in 2017 and 2019, I still had a great time. And I was really looking forward to going again in July (we had to postpone due to this stupid pandemic). I still love roaming the parks and going on attractions like Test Track and Kilimanjaro Safaris. However, the Splash Mountain debacle has proven to me once and for all that Disney isn't the company that it once was.

I wanted to believe that Bob Iger was a nice guy. But I'm sorry, he (or at least the current, post-2013 Iger) is quite possibly the worst CEO in Disney history. Even worse than post-Disneyland Paris Eisner. Why? Well, for one thing, under Iger's control, Disney has become an incredibly cowardly company. They won't build attractions not based on IPs anymore because they think people don't like IP-less rides. They don't make hand-drawn movies anymore because the most recent hand-drawn movies (including the very movie that they suddenly did a 180 on because it fits their agenda) flopped, conveniently ignoring that maybe the reason they flopped is because they put them up against big blockbuster films like Harry Potter sequels and Avatar. They're terrified of taking risks. They gleefully greenlit things simply to cash in on the success of other things - Maleficent and Cinderella made a ton of money at the box office, greenlight MORE live action remakes of our animated films. The Jungle Book was a success, greenlight a "live action" remake of The Lion King directed by the same guy using the same technology. Hasbro makes a lot of money off that "Littlest Pet Shop" thing, make this a thing.

As it stands, the company is blah, bland, soulless, cowardly, and condescending. It doesn't care about its fans. All it cares about is its image and making money. But, so long as at least a large percentage of the things that I love about Disney World are still there, I'll still go and have a good time.

DisneyNittany

because we dont really have any say, we dont have the position of power, and we arent the ones in control of the operations of the business

To be fair, WE actually do have the say/power and could "control" the business operations, but WE aren't willing to sacrifice anything to force the company's hand. The consumer has all the power, but when we accept and pay for products/services we don't like or think are , then we're just bowing to the company.

When I say "we" I don't specifically mean this board, but society as a whole. But, yeah, us in this board (the one's that still go, but complain) are "complicit" in the company "taking away the magic" too.

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
Disney as a company has been around for nearly 100 years. It's entirely possible to be a fan of the product they produced in the past, including what still exists, while recognizing that their recent business decisions have not benefited the consumer or their employees.
You can like music that famous people make, but the musician could be a real jerk and make you think twice about what you are listening to. Does it mean you will stop liking the music they produce? Probably not.

So, yeah I do agree with the concept.

But everything that has happened in recent years with Disney, (not over 50 years ago, more like the past 10) have very much influenced my ideals towards the company. Recent events have been a defining moment and this for me personally makes me truly second guess where I put my money.

Club Cooloholic

Well they certainly are trying to push less customer/staff interaction(even pre-covid) with preordering no front desk check in. I realize that is where we are headed as a society, but it's the staff that sets Disney apart from most other companies.
As for designs and streamlined stores and hotel rooms you are absolutely right. Disney World used to be a place that was like no other. Staying at a resort, even a moderate one like POR was like a little trip to another time and place. It's losing more of that, form is following functionality, well really it's all about functionality. I think you can have both, but often it's just cheaper to ignore the form.

JIMINYCR

To be fair, WE actually do have the say/power and could "control" the business operations, but WE aren't willing to sacrifice anything to force the company's hand. The consumer has all the power, but when we accept and pay for products/services we don't like or think are ****, then we're just bowing to the company.

When I say "we" I don't specifically mean this board, but society as a whole. But, yeah, us in this board (the one's that still go, but complain) are "complicit" in the company "taking away the magic" too.
So my point still stands. WE dont control Disney or what Disney does and have to accept what we get, or rather what they give us. You will NEVER see enough consumers stand up to Disney in enough solidarity to make those with control do anything we want them to do.
Has never worked in any mass petitions or campaigns to save any other attractions they decided to dump, added parking fees or price raising. So dont even dare dream the consumer can run Disney and they know it.
Even with Igers move to refurb SM, it wasnt the populous that forced him to make the change, it was a move to gain approval and join other corporations for momentary good PR and it was an opportunity for him to wash his hands of an issue hes long wanted to drop. IF he really wanted to keep SM, he would have.

Goofyernmost

I guess I have to ask about the concern about layoffs. Has anyone figured out what it costs to pay someone when there is limited or no income to speak of. The 23000 layoffs (company wide) on the payroll for an average of 7 hours and an average of $8.50 an hour is $1,368,500.00 per day. Do we want them to go broke, because they can, you know. Also, I don't know how unemployment works in Florida or California, but if one is still working they probably cannot collect it so a layoff means they can. Also in the business world large companies such as Disney are self insured when it comes to unemployment, so in a sense they are still paying them. There is no definite indication that they won't hire them all back once this crap is over. I think it is unfair to fault them for dealing with a Pandemic that they didn't create and expect that it is a wise move to continue to pay down the reserve that they had. They have some areas were they really can't lay anyone off. Animal Kingdom comes to mind. It has thousands of animals that need to be fed and cared for no matter what is going on outside.

The fact that the last non-IP ride built in WDW was Everest and that the future seems filled with IP is upsetting to me. In my opinion, the best Disney rides are by far the non-IP ones. It saddens me that Disney has strayed from original concepts and would instead gladly jam Toy Story or Frozen into every available place if possible.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

The fact that the last non-IP ride built in WDW was Everest and that the future seems filled with IP is upsetting to me. In my opinion, the best Disney rides are far the non-IP ones. It saddens me that Disney has strayed from original concepts and would instead gladly jam Toy Story or Frozen into every available place if possible.
So you didn't like Walt's Snow White, Cinderella, Peter Pan, Dumbo, Mary Poppins, Mr. Toad and 20,000 leagues just to name a few. Every one acts like the current ones are the only ones that Disney ever used. They were a staple in the beginning. Walt didn't invent those stories he just made them his own by putting the famous Disney magic on them. The same applies now. Just about every single IP usage today belongs to Disney. He used to pay for the rights to use others ideas, now they own Marvel, Frozen, Pixar and Star Wars (both Disney properties). To me as long as they present the stuff in a quality fashion I personally don't care who thought of it to begin with. The largest and most significant original idea was just used as a center for an attraction in a named attraction of a character called Mickey Mouse.

Last edited:

erasure fan1

I'm in agreement that changes to WDW are difficult to accept and no matter what gets taken out or put in, someones not going to be happy.
That is true. Change is always going to happen and someone is always going to dislike it. I'd say, for me at least, it is not the changes that upset people. It is the changes have rarely outshined what was there before. Coupled with the skyrocketing prices and constant nickel and diming, that's not a great look. I would also say that the complete and utter disregard for thematic integrity in favor of IP shoehorning, has made many of us Disney fanboys unhappy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom