Disney CMs calling guests " Friends"?

Mousse'

I have this ingrained in me from teaching kids. It’s no longer “boys and girls” or “students” it’s “friends”. Honestly, I have zero problems with it.
We don’t even use the term “parents“ when referring to the child’s caregivers. It’s “adults”, “grown-ups“, or “the people who take care of you”. Inclusiveness for the win!
Just a point - It drives me insane when I here non-US folks us the term "Partner", or when people put their pronouns (he/him) . I 100% don't care about the make-up of the person or the relationship, but just say husband, or wife, or boyfriend, etc... (And yes, it would put me more at ease for a guy to say "my husband" or "my boyfriend" if that is the case). Language is what it is, and if we keep running to euphemisms we may ease the discomfort of one to simply put it on ourselves or others. And, it will always simply keep barriers and sensitivity up.

Dog Ate Mouse

I see nothing wrong with saying hello Friends or welcome Folks. It is respectful and polite and a way to start a positive interaction if needed. I also look at it as you are not a visitor but much more than that. Just like getting off at your bus at the resort and hearing welcome home. Yes I guess when I look at it further it is gender neutral which is a good thing. You do not know anymore if there are transgenders or LBGQ people. This way I feel I would not offend anyone and be inclusive for all. If this simply greeting makes all feel welcomed and relaxed, I am all for it.

Dog Ate Mouse

Umm... this has always been the case.
This is true but a lot more people have actually come out instead of hiding like they use to. So I just see it right and about time to make all welcomed no matter what. My wife and I always try to make everyone around us welcome and act respectful. I just see it like the old saying says if we all could just get a long it would be a better world. I do believe in that statement.

eliza61nyc

When was the last time you referred to someone as "Friend" in a sentence? I don't mean, he/she "is my friend." Actually used Friend in a greeting?
Never but not the same. I don't work with the general public.
One big reason is stupid sensibilities. I'm a dvc'er they say "welcome home" all the time, some one complained that was "creepy". The point is, why can't a person figure out the intent behind the greeting.
I don't use "guys" in a greeting either but I certainly would not assume anything behind it if a cm said hello guys.

Lol of course here someone would, welcome to the age of "faux outrage"

TrainsOfDisney

I don't use "guys" in a greeting either but I certainly would not assume anything behind it if a cm said hello guys.

Lol of course here someone would, welcome to the age of "faux outrage"
I remember greeting people with “oh hey guys how are you?” And the ladies commenting on how they are not guys. This seems to be a cultural thing, not a recent development.

Probably like the coke and pop thing.

TrainsOfDisney

Not the "being called," but the motivation behind the label.
I typed that too fast last night. I meant saying “friends” rushed sounds better than alternatives.

“Friends please stand behind the yellow line” - say that in an annoyed tone and compare it to “folks, guys, everyone,”

_caleb

Yes, I do understand that this is for CMs. I also know that service-oriented companies around the world pay lots of money to bring Disney trainers in to teach them the 4 Keys (and the Disney Service Basics).

I said it before, but CMs will probably be trained not to refer to a guest as “sir” or “ma’am,” and not to assume gender pronouns. Inclusion will also include further training about implicit bias and how that might result in some guests being excluded.
Yes, I'm quoting myself from a different thread. I'm sorry.

Tomi-Rocket

Using the term "you guys" or hey, guys" is a very common greeting in the US, especially in Southern California. It's definitely not traditionally recognized as a term for men only in that region.

But, greetings do vary even across the US. I now live in Georgia where y'all is the replacement for "you guys". Of course, y'all is singular and "all y'all" is plural, except in questions like, "how y'all doin' today?"

And to read in a separate post that New Yorkers don't like to be called "friends" was a surprise. I guess they are not as friendly in NY? (kidding!!!!)

I really like the "friends" term. As you noted, gender neutral, works singular or plural, and sounds welcoming.
We use “you guys” in South Jersey too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom