Disney CMs calling guests " Friends"?

Fable McCloud

I'm a teacher, and we've been trying to find ways to address a group of students without saying "guys". It's difficult to find the right words. I tend to just say "hi everyone" and go from there. It's inclusive, neutral and not creepy. It's not as personal or welcoming, but it works.

I really like the idea I saw on here of the CMs calling people Mousekateers. That's cute and appropriate.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I feel like "folks" fits the WDW vibe best. Not sure what would be ideal for DL and beyond. "Friend" seems impersonal and odd especially when I don't know them directly. "Mousekateer" is a definite No. It's too wordy and forced, as if being pandered to. "Folks" seems the most endearing, IMO. The "on theme" approach seems best: Howdy Partners! etc. Or when in doubt say "Everyone" Keeps it simple. On-theme salutations based on location then just "folks" or "everyone" for any in a group.

Last edited:

dmw

In the Parks
No
1602010092776.png

DisneyAndADoleWhip

I have this ingrained in me from teaching kids. It’s no longer “boys and girls” or “students” it’s “friends”. Honestly, I have zero problems with it.
We don’t even use the term “parents“ when referring to the child’s caregivers. It’s “adults”, “grown-ups“, or “the people who take care of you”. Inclusiveness for the win!

MAGICFLOP

Actually surprised they have not done this before now, always in business, you should call people by name to imply friendship, but their is no way for them to call people by name in the park, so "my friend" help convey that.

TrainsOfDisney

Actually surprised they have not done this before now, always in business, you should call people by name to imply friendship, but their is no way for them to call people by name in the park, so "my friend" help convey that.
At Disneyland where the cms still scan your pass, I’m greeted by name about half the time at least.

I think friends is the least likely to sound bad when said in a rushed tone. I’m thinking of cm’s saying it pretty fast “hey friends please stay behind the yellow line until the doors open” - if you say that rushed it sounds less negative to me than if you say “folks stand back from the gate” in a rushed tone.

Leave it to members of this board to complain about being called friend! Haha.

Last edited:

bjlc57

if we are all friends.. could you at least loan me $200 so I can pay for supper.. or get out of jail.. or both.. and I will pay you back next week when i get home.. promise...

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
At Disneyland where the cms still scan your pass, I’m greeted by name about half the time at least.

I think friends is the least likely to sound bad when said in a rushed tone. I’m thinking of cm’s saying it pretty fast “hey friends please stay behind the yellow line until the doors open” - if you say that rushed it sounds more negative to me.

Leave it to members of this board to complain about being called friend! Haha.
Not the "being called," but the motivation behind the label.

eliza61nyc

100%. We ate at a local higher end steakhouse in the suburbs and one of the servers kept saying Friend. Very creepy. It's ok once, and then it's a problem. This is NY, we don't talk like that.
I'm a NYer, come on. You can't used us as a gauge for anything. This is the city where even making eye contact is considered an act of aggression.
And this is how you think Disney should act. God no.
Lol one of the enjoyable things about Disney is that you don't get cussed out for crossing the street incorrectly.
I have no problem with being called "friend". Non issue

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Lol one of the enjoyable things about Disney is that you don't get cussed out for crossing the street incorrectly.
...or roughly arrested...

eliza61nyc

Maybe I'm just an old curmudgeon, but I'm your customer, not your friend. My friends don't expect me to pay them thousands of dollars to visit, and I don't expect world-class service from my friends.

This sounds like something my kids' preschool teachers would say.
I feel sorry for anyone working with the public, damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I can imagine the outcry if CMs started using a generic Ma'am/Sir.

We will complain about that 😜

DCLcruiser

I'm a NYer, come on. You can't used us as a gauge for anything. This is the city where even making eye contact is considered an act of aggression.
And this is how you think Disney should act. God no.
I have no problem with being called "friend". Non issue
When was the last time you referred to someone as "Friend" in a sentence? I don't mean, he/she "is my friend." Actually used Friend in a greeting?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom