NHL 2023/24 Official Discussion Thread (Current Champions: Vegas Golden Knights)

LSLS

According to some sources, Tyler Johnson of the TB Lightning has submitted a list of teams. I guess he's accepting his fate. I hate to see the team breaking up but I do understand the business of hockey. That's also why I didn't put a name/number on my team sweater.
Johnson was near 4th line minutes. Gotta think he wants to prove himself again. Killorn has his list as well, so you have your first 2. Rumor is the only Tampa players not available are Point, Kucherov, Hedman, and Vasi (notable exceptions here). If (and I stress IF) they get by with only needing to send off TJ/Killorn/Paquette, Lightning have a GIANT win.

LSLS

Trade Letang...please, DEAR God!!!

...did anyone see the news about McDavid??

Jeez
I wonder what his list is. He is definitely productive, and his contract is only 2 more years at this point. But, it's a big one, in a league where we have a lot of league (and team) cap limit issues.

And yeah, him being positive is crazy. Won't be surprised to see Lightning players start popping up positive based on their celebrations.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Johnson was near 4th line minutes. Gotta think he wants to prove himself again. Killorn has his list as well, so you have your first 2. Rumor is the only Tampa players not available are Point, Kucherov, Hedman, and Vasi (notable exceptions here). If (and I stress IF) they get by with only needing to send off TJ/Killorn/Paquette, Lightning have a GIANT win.
Doesn’t stamkos need to go?

I mean...not to bring up Letang again...but if they win without you...YOU ARE NOT NEEDED

LSLS

Doesn’t stamkos need to go?

I mean...not to bring up Letang again...but if they win without you...YOU ARE NOT NEEDED
No. Stamkos had more impact in his 3 minutes than the entire 2nd line for the Lightning had the entire playoffs. They send off Tyler Johnson and Killorn, that saves more money than if they send off Stamkos. A sniper like him is kind of a bargain at his price, and with how deep they are as a team, they are woefully thin at top 6 forwards (as evidence by the line of Killorn/TJ/Cirelli). They simply don't have anything close to a replacement for him, even with winning the cup.

First decent size trade of the day. Columbus gets Max Domi and a 3rd rounder for Josh Anderson. Honestly think the Habs got fleeced here. I think Columbus wins this trade without the 3rd rounder thrown in.

Love Ft Wilderness

No. Stamkos had more impact in his 3 minutes than the entire 2nd line for the Lightning had the entire playoffs. They send off Tyler Johnson and Killorn, that saves more money than if they send off Stamkos. A sniper like him is kind of a bargain at his price, and with how deep they are as a team, they are woefully thin at top 6 forwards (as evidence by the line of Killorn/TJ/Cirelli). They simply don't have anything close to a replacement for him, even with winning the cup.

First decent size trade of the day. Columbus gets Max Domi and a 3rd rounder for Josh Anderson. Honestly think the Habs got fleeced here. I think Columbus wins this trade without the 3rd rounder thrown in.
As impactful as Stamkos is, he's reported to NOT be on the untouchables list. Cirelli will be resigned per the GM, JBB. I just hope they can get what they need with as little loss as possible.

LSLS

As impactful as Stamkos is, he's reported to NOT be on the untouchables list. Cirelli will be resigned per the GM, JBB. I just hope they can get what they need with as little loss as possible.
Oh I dont doubt he's not untouchable, but it would take a crazy offer, and probably others refusing to move. Keep in mind all his family life is in Tampa, and he has a full nmc. If he's moving at all, the personal problems he alluded to in the finals have made him want to move on.

LSLS

Think I'm fully buying the conspiracy theory of the teams being against Tampa at this point. Between one team saying congrats at the draft, and now the stuff with Johnson.

So far, I think Ottawa has made some real nice moves (though Murray is a LOT). I think Calgary is operating like Calgary always does (overspending on eh players). I have no idea what Minnesota is doing. Vegas has apparently decided their window is this year, cause they are going to be destroyed in like 3 years. Montreal has done a really nice job with Tofolli as well for not too much.

Some interesting things, Toews is complaining about the team going into a rebuild, but I guess I don't see it at all in Chicago. Apparently Buffalo has seen the wild success of the Maple Leafs and decided that following their model with worse defense and goaltending is the way to go.

Speaking of the Leafs, I find it hilarious they think they are cup contenders now. Brodie is no better in his zone than Barrie. Bogo got the bump from playing with Hedman, who makes every partner look like an NHL dman (and honestly, there is starting to be a case made he is becoming one of the best dmen of all time), and Wayne Simmonds? They say they are following Tampa, but that's not true. Bogo and Simmonds were not what put Tampa over the top (also, lets talk about the fact the Lightning made the conference finals 4 times in 6 years while the leafs can't get out of round 1). Blake Coleman and Barclay Goodrow put them over, and that is something the Leafs did not find. That and the fact that the Leafs don't have Hedman or Vasi.

Love Ft Wilderness

Think I'm fully buying the conspiracy theory of the teams being against Tampa at this point. Between one team saying congrats at the draft, and now the stuff with Johnson.

So far, I think Ottawa has made some real nice moves (though Murray is a LOT). I think Calgary is operating like Calgary always does (overspending on eh players). I have no idea what Minnesota is doing. Vegas has apparently decided their window is this year, cause they are going to be destroyed in like 3 years. Montreal has done a really nice job with Tofolli as well for not too much.

Some interesting things, Toews is complaining about the team going into a rebuild, but I guess I don't see it at all in Chicago. Apparently Buffalo has seen the wild success of the Maple Leafs and decided that following their model with worse defense and goaltending is the way to go.

Speaking of the Leafs, I find it hilarious they think they are cup contenders now. Brodie is no better in his zone than Barrie. Bogo got the bump from playing with Hedman, who makes every partner look like an NHL dman (and honestly, there is starting to be a case made he is becoming one of the best dmen of all time), and Wayne Simmonds? They say they are following Tampa, but that's not true. Bogo and Simmonds were not what put Tampa over the top (also, lets talk about the fact the Lightning made the conference finals 4 times in 6 years while the leafs can't get out of round 1). Blake Coleman and Barclay Goodrow put them over, and that is something the Leafs did not find. That and the fact that the Leafs don't have Hedman or Vasi.
I'm not so patiently waiting to hear what Tampa does now. They lost Shattenkirk and Bogosian. So while they need to clear up cap by moving forwards, they need to replenish the D line. I know Shenn was signed which I was glad, that helps. If JBB is a wizard, I'm hoping he whips up some magic to get the team rounded out again. 🤞

LSLS

I'm not so patiently waiting to hear what Tampa does now. They lost Shattenkirk and Bogosian. So while they need to clear up cap by moving forwards, they need to replenish the D line. I know Shenn was signed which I was glad, that helps. If JBB is a wizard, I'm hoping he whips up some magic to get the team rounded out again. 🤞
Honestly the losses aren't much. Cal foote will step in. Bogosian probably isn't in the league without hedman (toronto is in for a rude awakening). Shattenkirk was fine, but between schenn and coburn, it will be fine. They probably hold off and pick up a vet looking for a final chance ala shattenkirk later in free agency. Most important now is getting tj and killorn out the door and getting the rfas signed. Then get to training camp and see which young kids step up.

LSLS

MAN.... If you are a lightning fan at all (or just a Stamkos fan), go subscribe for at least a month to the Lightning Insider and listen to their interview with Stamkos. In a nutshell, he tore his groin when he made the move to score the goal. And he did in fact leave the bubble. He left because he lost his baby at 21 weeks (preterm). That man went through more for this cup than possibly anyone in NHL history.

Last edited:

Love Ft Wilderness

MAN.... If you are a lightning fan at all (or just a Stamkos fan), go subscribe for at least a month to the Lightning Insider and listen to their interview with Stamkos. In a nutshell, he tore his groin when he made the move to score the goal. And he did in fact leave the bubble. He left because he lost his baby at 21 weeks (preterm). That man went through more for this cup than possibly anyone in NHL history.
Wow. I had heard about the 2nd groin injury, rumors about him leaving the bubble and he had mentioned something about family but this all goes beyond belief. He certainly sacrificed a lot. Thanks for the update.

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
The Panthers are finally getting to play their 3rd game tonight after having 4 games postponed through no fault of their own. I really wish the league would start handing out forfeits to teams that violate protocols...

LSLS

The Panthers are finally getting to play their 3rd game tonight after having 4 games postponed through no fault of their own. I really wish the league would start handing out forfeits to teams that violate protocols...
The problem is I don't know the teams violated protocols. Washington did, but I haven't seen anything to suggest Carolina or Dallas did.

LSLS

Make sure to go watch the blown ref call in columbus/Carolina today. It's mind blowing. They do a replay and make the decision in seconds that it's a good goal and give columbus a penalty. Well turns out they didn't wait for all the replays, and it was BLATANTLY offsides. So coming back for the third, they take the penalty away with like a minute left in it, but won't take the goal off the board. I've never seen anything like that in all my years. The entire league looks amateur.

Slpy3270

The NHL is returning to ESPN as part of a seven-year deal. Looking like they'll split the package with NBC.

Genuinely shocking news given the acrimonious split back in 2005, not to mention ESPN's historical indifference to hockey.

LSLS

The NHL is returning to ESPN as part of a seven-year deal. Looking like they'll split the package with NBC.

Genuinely shocking news given the acrimonious split back in 2005, not to mention ESPN's historical indifference to hockey.
Hard to complain about their indifference with what nbc has done. Just give me Gary Thorne and the theme song and I'm good.

Slpy3270

It's now official.

As part of the agreement, NHL.TV will cease operations and move all its games to ESPN+.

Interestingly, the Stanley Cup Finals will air on ABC. What will that mean for the NBA Finals?

Update: PR now back up after it was taken down. Presumably they were waiting for the NHL's blessings and may have inadvertently jumped the gun. Now they have them.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom