News Liberty Square Riverboat and Tom Sawyer Island closing for lengthy refurbishment

yensid67

JUST A THOUGHT>>>

Even though its is a good time to do any refurbs, with attendance low...IF THEY COULD HAVE DONE IT...wouldn't it have been better to do this during the shut down? Maybe one refurb at a time? Isn't Reedy Creek its own governing body? Could they have kept the refurb going during shut down...safely?

castlecake2.0

JUST A THOUGHT>>>

Even though its is a good time to do any refurbs, with attendance low...IF THEY COULD HAVE DONE IT...wouldn't it have been better to do this during the shut down? Maybe one refurb at a time? Isn't Reedy Creek its own governing body? Could they have kept the refurb going during shut down...safely?

Reedy Creek is more responsible for “public areas” and services of the property; roads, bridges, waste collection etc. They wouldn’t be the ones actually doing refurbishments inside the parks :)

bpiper

I wonder if they’ll discover a sink hole on Tom Sawyer island? Or perhaps it’s leaking into the utilidors? Time will tell!
I'm thinking that it might be that they didn't replace enough of the track during the last refurb and more of the old track deteriorated. Or it could be that the track they replaced which was mainly around the dock area, has come loose or deteriorated.

MotherOfBirds

I'm guessing the refurb is purely for code/safety. I can't imagine them wanting to sink a single dime into TSI that they didn't have to.

deWild

Just because you've outgrown it doesn't mean that the rest of the world has. Losing it would be like losing the GF orchestra or one the the other experiences that make WDW special
That’s fine if you think it adds value, I won’t toss aside your opinion. However, I’m of the opinion that TSI is outdated.

To try and compromise (shocking these days), what if Disney built a couple bridges that connected TSI to Liberty Square and Frontierland? That way the island remains and acts as a bottleneck opener for Splash/Thunder Mountain. Then they could use the back half of the island to expand. Whatcha think?

TrainsOfDisney

That’s fine if you think it adds value, I won’t toss aside your opinion. However, I’m of the opinion that TSI is outdated.

To try and compromise (shocking these days), what if Disney built a couple bridges that connected TSI to Liberty Square and Frontierland? That way the island remains and acts as a bottleneck opener for Splash/Thunder Mountain. Then they could use the back half of the island to expand. Whatcha think?

What’s going to fit on the back half of the island?

UNCgolf

That would require eliminating the Riverboat.

Personally, I would be okay with eliminating the Riverboat and Tom Sawyer Island because they are things I never do. I probably did them as a child (have no memory of it), but haven't been on the boat or over to the island in any of my recent trips. Fill in the river and that's a huge plot of land that could be used for multiple attractions, restaurants, etc.

With that said, though, just because I personally don't care about that area isn't a good reason to eliminate it (I'm also personally in favor of eliminating Jungle Cruise and using that whole area for multiple new attractions). Other people do enjoy it -- it's a bit like Carousel of Progress for me. I absolutely adore CoP and would be furious if it was removed, but plenty of other people would be happy to see it bulldozed and replaced.

It's not like they don't have plenty of other land to use without replacing currently existing attractions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom