Politics 28000 Layoffs coming to Disney's domestic theme parks - statement from Josh D'Amaro

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

SoFloMagic

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
In terms of project pipelines... I see this particular cut as telegraphing the company’s intentions for new experiences in the foreseeable future. Not only does this affect the projects of ‘today’ that we already know are cut, this sets development and blue sky planning back years, stalling ‘tomorrow’s’ projects from getting the green light.

Guardians, Rat, and Tron better have some staying power, because I fear those are the last new major attractions we’re going to see in Orlando for a long time.
Absolutely...you have a grasp of how WDI is being run under the current management.

It’s: “build...milk...evaluate...delay...build”
That’s park “investment”...especially in wdw.

It’s a good thing it’s 2020...if not ALL the things about to be finished would have been cancelled. Every single one.

Investment without concurrent out of control profits is viewed as a “loss”

...the exact opposite of the truth. It’s a shame.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

asianway

Absolutely...you have a grasp of how WDI is being run under the current management.

It’s: “build...milk...evaluate...delay...build”
That’s park “investment”...especially in wdw.

It’s a good thing it’s 2020...if not ALL the things about to be finished would have been cancelled. Every single one.

Investment without concurrent out of control profits is viewed as a “loss”

...the exact opposite of the truth. It’s a shame.
I want to know how much the “staff of Ra” hidden Mickey cost soooo bad

SoFloMagic

We aren’t gonna debate this again, are we?
No, we're not. Hospitality isn't going to do well, and that's putting it lightly. But that said, there are still options out there for folks getting notice now from Disney and there's nothing wrong with a little positivity.

But you're right, tourism isn't returning til Florida takes covid seriously and people feel comfortable travelling here/ can come without quarantine upon return home. And uh, good luck with that.

TrainsOfDisney

Disstevefan1

The 6,700 number only refers to the number of non-union employees being laid off at WDW.

From the Orlando Sentinel:

“It’s possibly only the start of layoffs as the company is beginning to negotiate cuts with its unions that represent Equity Disney performers, hotel housekeepers, ride attendants and others.“

I would guess there would be fewer union employees laid off.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
My prediction the stock stays around here in the mid to low 120s until October 7th investor day when they shift the narrative back to Disney+ and the stock pops. We’ll see.
You could see a split soon...

Actually selling product is so “20th century” these days...only the traders know what “real worth” is 😎

Ldno

That’s true. Been there, done that, got a better job. But it takes time, and the in-between period can be scary or even terrifying.

My condolences to all affected by these cuts. :(
It’s tough now. I must had been looking for employment for like 4 months with zero success. All this people unemployed are competing for the same thing, I must had been to like 3 virtual job fairs, applied at like 20-30 jobs, no emails saying thank you for trying at least. I’m even working with an agency and all I got the usual Your resume is impressive but we’ve moved on.

They are nitpicking now. I have zero records of criminal history but they are focusing on my financial history. Missed a payment because of covid?? Already on the credit report. I’ve gotten turned down twice because they found financial discrepancies on my record, I haven’t even talked to a person at that point. Your record must be immaculate, stand out above the competition and excellence and success to be even considered. Imagine in a tourist city with tourism backgrounds all applying for nearly the same career.

This whole time I’ve been working on getting certifications, but it’s never ending!

I know it’s nice to think it...but that doesn’t address this problem at all.

It does, that money could shift down to employees, one employee with a degree and a highly responsible position worth 250k a year could finance like 10 CM yearly maybe. Don’t forget the bonuses they get as perks and meeting goals. I remember a lot of people were like oh Iger it’s not making that much, but they forget the bonuses he would get on this year alone(which i‘m sure took a hit). Either way, I’ve been there done that, unions can only do so much. Some of those organizational management people live on a different world than we do.

Unbanshee

There's no need to credit Blog Mickey on that. The numbers he cites were released in statements from unions + the publicly-available WARN notice. "Mike" did zero original reporting. And he's the one who wrongly claimed Disneyland would reopen on Sept. 28.

I'm sorry for offending you. I'm not sure of the specifics, but it seems like a September opening was a possibility for quite some time. Disneyland has, very publicly, been getting ready. Disneyland, Anaheim Mayor, and multiple legislators have complained about how slow the governor has been. I'd imagine that a late September date was very real, but again, I don't have a dog in the fight, so I'll defer

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
Curious, of all the charitable contributions you could have chosen you chose those two instead of lets say Make A Wish. You know Disney donates over $300 million dollars a year right?

There is ALWAYS a "reason" to cut charity contributions. ALWAYS.

Probably because Make A Wish is a reputable organization and the other is often compared to cancer. Just maybe.

note2001

34,000 jobs currently posted on glassdoor in Orlando. As the economy shifts to curbside and online everything, traditional businesses are having to rapidly scale as they adapt. There's work out there!
There is not nearly enough work out there and not everyone is suited to do those jobs listed. Also, companies "attempt" to hire domestically to fill rolls before sending them overseas at 1/10th the salary for the same level, granted it may take a team of 5 people to do the work of one domestic, educated person, but that's still a hefty savings when you add in health care.

We, like all countries, are overpopulated. No, there aren't enough jobs out there without the return of tourism.

SoFloMagic

That may cover the layoffs from Disney but won't come close to the total in the area:(

There is not nearly enough work out there and not everyone is suited to do those jobs listed. Also, companies "attempt" to hire domestically to fill rolls before sending them overseas at 1/10th the salary for the same level, granted it may take a team of 5 people to do the work of one domestic, educated person, but that's still a hefty savings when you add in health care.

We, like all countries, are overpopulated. No, there aren't enough jobs out there without the return of tourism.
100 agreed. Orlando will not be OK until tourism returns. Was just trying to be a voice of optimism that its not hopeless, because it isn't.
I pray we take this thing seriously and work to lower cases to save lives and restore confidence in tourism (once transmission levels are low enough that it makes sense)

Ldno

I'm sorry for offending you. I'm not sure of the specifics, but it seems like a September opening was a possibility for quite some time. Disneyland has, very publicly, been getting ready. Disneyland, Anaheim Mayor, and multiple legislators have complained about how slow the governor has been. I'd imagine that a late September date was very real, but again, I don't have a dog in the fight, so I'll defer
Yeah for real, you can’t say Oh no ”Mike’s wrong” just because it never happened, clearly someone said disney‘s optimistic about everything and all the people that “walk” close to the property were saying it was ready, maybe they WERE shooting for an opening on the 28th but clearly the Governor had different plans. Doesn’t mean he’s completely wrong, Disney clearly has no say when it comes to the government in regards to approving their decisions.

Don’t forget that 50,000 airline industry workers will be fired tomorrow because the federal aid ends tonight. Expect a lot flights consolidated With less options to fly in the city. Happened to my girlfriend yesterday. Airline straight up cancelled her flight and rescheduled it to a different day but stopped flying on specific days also.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom