Politics 28000 Layoffs coming to Disney's domestic theme parks - statement from Josh D'Amaro

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

Timmay

Indeed. But the vast majority of hospitals in the US are CMS organizations; only a small number aren't required to follow EMTALA.
Correct as well... but still EMTALA does not require every person seen in an ED be treated. No such law exists. Again, if an ED has the resources they can choose to treat a non emergency medical condition...but if they are overwhelmed, they will provide an appropriate medical screening and then discharge to make room.

floydbeatle

Disney Vacation Club lays off 279 employees across three locations at Walt Disney World​

I know these layoffs are employees that are not necessary due to lack of demand/work outside of the resorts themselves, but I wonder if this is a foreshadowing on significant increases in dues. Outside of higher cleaning costs, there is also decrease in rentals, and I believe additional costs associated with wage adjustments mandated by States for unemployment etc. are passed on to owners.

UNCgolf

Correct as well... but still EMTALA does not require every person seen in an ED be treated. No such law exists. Again, if an ED has the resources they can choose to treat a non emergency medical condition...but if they are overwhelmed, they will provide an appropriate medical screening and then discharge to make room.

This is correct.

Tom P.

If that were the case the stock wouldn't have dropped ~2% after-hours following the announcement.

My guess this drop was related to the stimulus talks failing more than anything else.
Well, there's late breaking news the the House has agreed to hold off for another day on voting on the Democratic stimulus proposal in order to give Pelosi and Mnuchin more time to agree to a bill. So maybe we'll still see something tomorrow? Who knows at this point.

tirian

For those not sure about their job: Don't listen to these comments. There are many jobs out there even in a down economy. Many times you will find a new job that pays higher. Keep at it.
That’s true. Been there, done that, got a better job. But it takes time, and the in-between period can be scary or even terrifying.

My condolences to all affected by these cuts. :(

tirian

I know of one that is safe because they (ambiguous pronoun deliberate here) we're willing to stay on a minimal salary in order to remain with the company. They will draw no additional impacts (benefits) after April unless they are brought back to the fold.
Based on what we’ve been seeing, this will further erode the quality of WDI. That’s what typically happens when business cut the seasoned, experienced employees to protect the big corporation.

UNCgolf

Based on what we’ve been seeing, this will further erode the quality of WDI. That’s what typically happens when business cut the seasoned, experienced employees to protect the big corporation.

It's also what happens when the company is run by management who believe that theme parks are a waste of time. The less money you have to spend on anything related to them, the better, because the people who like them are going to just take whatever you give. They are no longer the crown jewel of the company (and haven't been for quite some time); it's a media conglomerate now and the theme parks are a side business for some extra cash.

I could see Iger/Chapek (and plenty of others, I'm sure) almost considering this a blessing, because it gives them the excuse they needed to dramatically change the structure of the company. And I don't mean that in an evil cartoon villain sense; I just mean this is likely something they already wanted to do (Iger has essentially said as much in the past) because they think it's better business.

Last edited:

hopemax

It's also what happens when the company is run by management who believe that theme parks are a waste of time. The less money you have to spend on anything related to them, the better, because the people who like them are just going to take whatever you give.

I could see Iger/Chapek (and others, I'm sure) almost considering this a blessing, because it gives them the excuse they needed to dramatically change the structure of the company. And I don't mean that in an evil cartoon villain sense; I just mean this is likely something they already wanted to do (Iger has essentially said as much in the past) because they think it's better business.
And even if they think theme parks have some value, they believe that they are easy to do. Just slap some popular IP on some otherwise uninteresting experience and call it good. Therefore they believe they can simply hire someone else whenever they decide they need someone again, without losing anything of value. Unfortunately, modern Disney audiences have been far to eager to accept this premise too.

Most us have already accepted that "our Disney" has been long gone, but this is blowing up the remaining bridges over the chasm.

UNCgolf

And even if they think theme parks have some value, they believe that they are easy to do. Just slap some popular IP on some otherwise uninteresting experience and call it good. Therefore they believe they can simply hire someone else whenever they decide they need someone again, without losing anything of value. Unfortunately, modern Disney audiences have been far to eager to accept this premise too.

Most us have already accepted that "our Disney" has been long gone, but this is blowing up the remaining bridges over the chasm.

Right, that's part of it. I do think they consider the theme parks relatively valuable as a regular revenue stream (in normal circumstances), but they want to spend as little money as possible on them.

And I don't blame them. If, as someone in a senior management/C-suite position, you don't have a passion for the theme parks/aren't interested in them, and you see attendance numbers skyrocketing even as you eliminate entertainment offerings etc., why in the world would you want to invest more in the parks? You don't have any incentive to do so.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom