Politics 28000 Layoffs coming to Disney's domestic theme parks - statement from Josh D'Amaro

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There was never a “lock it down” crowd (except my favorite hypochondriac...right, Parker 😉)...

There was a “don’t screw this up!” Crowd. The problem is the United States has no collective patience.

The real canary in this coal mine was the Memorial Day “re-opening”. It was after 2 months. 2 months? Is that so much time that no one could understand it and be patient? Couldn’t hold it to June 15th? When the models suggest it would have been drastically reduced.

I dunno...i keep saying I’m tired of this. And I certainly am. But the last thing anyone wants is to go backwards and redo this. I don’t want to watch this “movie” again.

eliza61nyc

Yep and Orlando will also be affected...housing, businesses in the area, shops, etc...we're in for a rough next couple of years....
Unfortunately everyone is. I'm in Pennsylvania, talk about housing. we are really worried about what will happen when the rent moratorium expires. we've got tens of thousands of folks who have been laid off/furlough/ whatever you want to call it and some how are expected to pay thousands of bucks in back rent. now of course the landlords are hurting because for many the rental income pays the mortgage. many have said that they are filing eviction notices the nanosecond the courts open back up.

it's ugly

eliza61nyc

There was never a “lock it down” crowd (except my favorite hypochondriac...right, Parker 😉)...

There was a “don’t screw this up!” Crowd. The problem is the United States has no collective patience.

The real canary in this coal mine was the Memorial Day “re-opening”. It was after 2 months. 2 months? Is that so much time that no one could understand it and be patient? Couldn’t hold it to June 15th? When the models suggest it would have been drastically reduced.

I dunno...i keep saying I’m tired of this. And I certainly am. But the last thing anyone wants is to go backwards and redo this. I don’t want to watch this “movie” again.

I can honestly say that I'm stressed about the winter. covid combine with flu season in the Northeast ? Sweet baby Jesus!! the jersey shore was holding it's collective breathe over the summer hoping and praying that folks wouldn't screw up and they'd have to shut down again. they had a brief spike after they tried to open up the bars so that got shut down again.
I really can't think of any place in this country that would survive a second shut down

John park hopper

Unfortunately everyone is. I'm in Pennsylvania, talk about housing. we are really worried about what will happen when the rent moratorium expires. we've got tens of thousands of folks who have been laid off/furlough/ whatever you want to call it and some how are expected to pay thousands of bucks in back rent. now of course the landlords are hurting because for many the rental income pays the mortgage. many have said that they are filing eviction notices the nanosecond the courts open back up.

it's ugly
Yes and don't forget the landlord has to pay taxes on those housing units, I'm sure the city, county, state have not waved those taxes which I'm sure are substantial

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I can honestly say that I'm stressed about the winter. covid combine with flu season in the Northeast ? Sweet baby Jesus!! the jersey shore was holding it's collective breathe over the summer hoping and praying that folks wouldn't screw up and they'd have to shut down again. they had a brief spike after they tried to open up the bars so that got shut down again.
I really can't think of any place in this country that would survive a second shut down
The infectious disease doctors - who BS aside have been right - warned us the whole time...

“Don’t screw up the summer”

Well...here we are. We should have minimal numbers with mandatory isolation and contact tracing. The right course has been hijacked.

eliza61nyc

Yes and don't forget the landlord has to pay taxes on those housing units, I'm sure the city, county, state have not waved those taxes which I'm sure are substantial
lol, oy vey. you've said a mouth full. it's a vicious cycle. just this week we are allowing restaurants to open at 50% capacity. My city has been talking about delaying, only delaying property taxes. but again that is really only pushing back the misery. if someone is struggling to pay their property taxes now, it's not very likely that next quarter they will be able to make a double payment. :arghh: :cry:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
lol, oy vey. you've said a mouth full. it's a vicious cycle. just this week we are allowing restaurants to open at 50% capacity. My city has been talking about delaying, only delaying property taxes. but again that is really only pushing back the misery. if someone is struggling to pay their property taxes now, it's not very likely that next quarter they will be able to make a double payment. :arghh: :cry:
Tomorrow is the financial day. 10/1. Most of the bailout provisions expire. I saw some catastrophic numbers about a month ago about the housing/rental situation. A huge percentage of rents and mortgages have been under “forbearance” since March.

Not “forgiveness”. What am I saying? There is a shocking number of people 6 months behind that are temporarily protected. This is an economic bomb about to go off.

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
I just think throwing that much blame on a single politician - except the obvious one - is too much.

He’s on the “caution” side of it as well. Is it too much? Maybe...but it’s hard to really blame when it’s raw data and the data just doesn’t get there.

We’re all sick and tired (figuratively)...but starting over again is the LAST thing anyone wants. It’s a catastrophe scenario.
If DLR was opened would there still be 28,000 layoffs? If the answer is no, then you can direct your outrage straight at the pols who won’t let it reopen.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If DLR was opened would there still be 28,000 layoffs? If the answer is no, then you can direct your outrage straight at the pols who won’t let it reopen.
Reduced...not eliminated. Many of those layoffs are in the “open for business!” State.

These layoffs were never really in doubt. And to direct specifically at one state capital is more displaced frustration than solid truth.

And here’s the kicker: do people think Disney doesn’t want to “sweep the decks”? (Layoffs)

Of course they do...that helps them on the street. Dumping longterm commitment/overhead.

eliza61nyc

Or you can spin it as..."If DLR was opened would there be a huge spike in Covid-19 cases? If the answer is yes then our outrage would be at the "greedy" corporations that put profit before people"

Either scenario would be possible, either scenario would have someone being outraged

EPCOT-O.G.

I would think landlords rely on renter fees for up keep properties and pay property taxes -renters can't pay--landlords can't maintain properties--landlords can't pay taxes-- government puts lean on properties for non payment of taxes-- forced sales. Potentially a scary situation for all concerned
There’s another dimension to this: many cities/counties/states have imposed eviction moratoriums. Again, not saying I disagree with that policy per se, but there is something fundamentally unjust about a government making a business incapable of collecting revenue (from their tenants, or from potential customers because they’ve been forced to shut down by those same governmental entities) yet still expecting property tax payments on time.

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
delaying, only delaying property taxes

This is the first time I have heard of anyone talking about delaying property tax in PA. I would like looking into this more if you have a link. As someone who has worked in PA politics and closely with the property tax issue, it will be a cold day in you know where before PA removes, delays, or forgives property taxes.

natatomic

Or you can spin it as..."If DLR was opened would there be a huge spike in Covid-19 cases? If the answer is yes then our outrage would be at the "greedy" corporations that put profit before people"

Either scenario would be possible, either scenario would have someone being outraged

Why? There hasn’t been a Covid spike tied to any open theme parks in America so far. That should have been the green light for CA, seeing how it can certainly be open safely with minimal Covid spread.

Really? I have a hard time imagine a non-Covid-19 world where Disney announces it’s laying off 1/4 of its domestic workforce. Sure, I can imagine SOME layoffs to trim the proverbial fat, but there’s no way Disney would have had to let THAT many people go if there had been no virus and the parks were open as usual.

eliza61nyc

This is the first time I have heard of anyone talking about delaying property tax in PA. I would like looking into this more if you have a link. As someone who has worked in PA politics and closely with the property tax issue, it will be a cold day in you know where before PA removes, delays, or forgives property taxes.
I'm in Philly, city council was bouncing ideas around. We currently have a homeless encampment sitting on the parkway and the fight about affordable housing in the city is heating up.
They supposedly are trying to figure out ways to curtail a catastrophy when the rent moratorium is up..
I think almost 45% of the city rents. WHYY (public tv) is guestimatting that as many as 100,000 households here are at risk of eviction. the city is trying to give the landlords a break who hopefully then give the tenants a break. I can't even imagine....

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom