Politics 28000 Layoffs coming to Disney's domestic theme parks - statement from Josh D'Amaro

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

Slpy3270

Can't say I'm surprised. This is less "we're actually suffering" and more "we're trying to get back to pre-pandemic profitability quicker." This would've happened even if Disneyland reopened.

Disney is fine and will bounce by next year or so. Nothing will be broken up or sold off and they'll pay their debts as they always do (they have like tens of billions in cash so I'm sure they're better off).

It's the lives of the workers you should all worry about. Unless Disney decides to rehire most of them within the next year, they're not going to find any good jobs for a while.

note2001

So sad. I won't get political here, the situation is a difficult one for everyone particularly those in the tourism industry.

My hope is that WDW/DL as we knew them prior to Covid will be restored by next fall. I know the timeline is tight but I have faith that there is a plan, and may the second star to the right align for us all, Disney included.

Last edited:

Figments Friend

This is seriously hard to hear when I'm at the parks and can see the job the cast is doing and have experienced how understaffed restaurants, attractions and services are right now.

Ditto.
I just returned last night from a week long stay at WDW, and the Cast morale already seemed fluctuating.
This is really going to hurt more people then just the Cast getting laid off.
It will hurt who remains, and of course impact Guests in one way or another.

Really feel for those about to lose their roles.
This absolutely sucks.

😞

-

SirWillow

Glad to see the mods are censoring any criticism directed towards the CA government and their policies forcing Disney to close while allowing other theme parks in the area to operate unbothered, I'm sure that had no effect on all these layoffs........

There is not one single theme park operating in CA "unbothered" and to think that shows that you don't understand what is happening.

Knott's is operating the restaurant, a couple of shops and a very limited area inside the park. no rides, no shows, no attractions. Even their "event" is a massive reduction from what many would consider normal.

SDDK is operating a few of their animal exhibits as a "zoo", again with no rides, no indoor attractions, and very little else.

SFMM is completely closed. So is Legoland. I believe Sea World is as well, though they're trying to go the "zoo" route and open without rides. CA Great American never opened.

This is NOT just a Disney thing. It's actually admirable that Disney has held on as long as they did without making the staffing cuts. But it was coming and was written a long time ago. Does CA not operating hurt? Absolutely. But it's not much better in Florida where their numbers are still horribly low.

And it's not likely to get better until the whole covid thing gets under control, people start to feel safe to travel again, and the economy can begin to rebound. maybe next year, but that may be optimistic on the economic part.

Last edited:

HairyChest

I was thinking what if out of all of this, Disney ends up bieng able to buy all the land around Disneyland where the businesses are now shuttered, and make it more beautiful in the future, make it more like a disneyworld esque area? As a californian I would be so ecstatic. I hated the area outside of Disneyland.

Ragerunner

****es me off to see this when right down the road, Universal is packing the gates. The demand is there. Yes, I know that Disney relies far less on locals than Universal, but still. They've tried almost nothing.
Universal is packing the gate only on the weekend. That is because of locals who bought the deeply discounted park pass that is good until December 24th. During the weekdays most attractions are walk on to about 20 minutes. I would actually make the case Disney is busier doing the weekday than Universal. They have so few tourist they shut down some of the resort hotels that had been open. If you want to see an empty park check out SeaWorld on a weekday right now.

It’s simple, until the virus is under control the tourism economy is going to continue to be hit hard. If Florida’s number start spiking again the holidays will be as ugly as early summer was.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom