News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Sharon&Susan

Frozen Ever After also takes place after Frozen.
They're saving Hans for Frozen: Mission Breakout. ;)
MissionBREAKOUT.jpg

RSoxNo1

Sooooooooooooo, wouldn't that imply that Dr. Facilier will be in the ride, or that if nothing else there will be a bit of a "scary" element to it?
There was something about summoning spirits from the other side but I don't believe he said Facilier would be in it.

From my rumor tracker...

July 6, 2020: On the most recent episode of the Disney Dish podcast, Jim Hill goes into detail on some of the expected scenes and story treatment for the Princess and the Frog update to Splash Mountain:

• The attraction will largely follow Louis the alligator trying to find his missing trumpet case on his way to a Mardi Gras celebration
  • Tiana is expected to appear in the current “How do you Do” scene as well as the attraction’s finale
  • Some of the animal animatronics may be repurposed
  • Some of the visual gags may have similar scenes in the new version of the attraction. An example given was Br’er Bear with his nose stuck in a beehive may be replaced with Louis covered in prickers
  • The fireflies are expected to appears in the current black light scene
  • Dr. Facilier’s Friends form the Otherside are expected to make an appearance on the final lift hill before being cast off by Mama Odie at the top. Her spell to do away with Dr. Facilier will also send us down the waterfall.
  • The time frame for the new attraction to open may not be until 2024-2025 with a closure not until 2022.

aladdin2007

There was something about summoning spirits from the other side but I don't believe he said Facilier would be in it.

From my rumor tracker...

July 6, 2020: On the most recent episode of the Disney Dish podcast, Jim Hill goes into detail on some of the expected scenes and story treatment for the Princess and the Frog update to Splash Mountain:

• The attraction will largely follow Louis the alligator trying to find his missing trumpet case on his way to a Mardi Gras celebration
  • Tiana is expected to appear in the current “How do you Do” scene as well as the attraction’s finale
  • Some of the animal animatronics may be repurposed
  • Some of the visual gags may have similar scenes in the new version of the attraction. An example given was Br’er Bear with his nose stuck in a beehive may be replaced with Louis covered in prickers
  • The fireflies are expected to appears in the current black light scene
  • Dr. Facilier’s Friends form the Otherside are expected to make an appearance on the final lift hill before being cast off by Mama Odie at the top. Her spell to do away with Dr. Facilier will also send us down the waterfall.
  • The time frame for the new attraction to open may not be until 2024-2025 with a closure not until 2022.

please!! they do this now for everything, is that all imagineering can come up with is something or someone missing anymore? nemo, donald,, etc the list goes on.

Brer Oswald

please!! they do this now for everything, is that all imagineering can come up with is something or someone missing anymore? nemo, donald,, etc the list goes on.
It’s such a bizarre choice too. Did they forget about the 2016 Gator incident, that caused them to hide all Reference to alligators in the parks for 6 months.

Not to mention the fact that Tiana is barely in it! How does a ride about an alligator improve diversity? It’s a tease.

But at the same time, it’s incredibly hard to retheme a ride designed to be an environment to cartoon animals, and change it to be based around princesses, and humans.

They put themselves in a lose lose situation 🤷‍♂️

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
So would you count....wait for it....creativity as missing? Time to design an attraction overlay! I'm thinking Space Mountain

Surferboy567

Not to mention the fact that Tiana is barely in it! How does a ride about an alligator improve diversity? It’s a tease.

But at the same time, it’s incredibly hard to retheme a ride designed to be an environment to cartoon animals, and change it to be based around princesses, and humans.

They put themselves in a lose lose situation 🤷‍♂️
If you want to turn Splash Mountain into a Princess and the Frog ride...fine however, the film’s main star should be front and center. Not some side character.

...of course they could just keep it splash but that isn’t a discussion for this thread.

EDIT: I am fine with it changing IF it can update the tech and make a compelling ride so I won’t pass judgement till I see it. That story doesn’t sound too compelling though.

Brer Oswald

If you want to turn Splash Mountain into a Princess and the Frog ride...fine however, the film’s main star should be front and center. Not some side character.

...of course they could just keep it splash but that isn’t a discussion for this thread.

EDIT: I am fine with it changing IF it can update the tech and make a compelling ride so I won’t pass judgement till I see it.
It’s one of my main issues with this whole ordeal. On a surface level, based on the narrative on display, the decision makes a ton of sense. But if you look deeper into it, who the Brer characters are and where they come from, PatF’s origins, what’s planned for this attraction, where it’s going, and who’s behind it, the whole thing becomes a lot more confusing (and a bit frustrating). I feel like a lot of people, in both sides of the argument, are going to be quite baffled when this thing comes to fruition.

And of course there will be people who’ve never experienced the original and won’t know the difference.

Oh well.

Surferboy567

It’s one of my main issues with this whole ordeal. On a surface level, based on the narrative on display, the decision makes a ton of sense. But if you look deeper into it, who the Brer characters are and where they come from, PatF’s origins, what’s planned for this attraction, where it’s going, and who’s behind it, the whole thing becomes a lot more confusing (and a bit frustrating). I feel like a lot of people, in both sides of the argument, are going to be quite baffled when this thing comes to fruition.

And of course there will be people who’ve never experienced the original and won’t know the difference.

Oh well.

If they are willing to spend the money to give this the love it should deserves, then possibly something good could come out of this. At least, as of now the same great track SHOULD be staying in place.

Like you said, the IP makes sense on a surface level but it’s the finer details that matter Disney is capable of making a great new overlay if they want to, they just have to be willing to spend the money. Which I don’t think they will be, but hopefully I am wrong.

It’s going to be hard to top Splash though. If that even is possible.

Brer Oswald

If they are willing to spend the money to give this the love it should deserves, then possibly something good could come out of this. At least, as of now the same great track SHOULD be staying in place.

Like you said, the IP makes sense on a surface level but it’s the finer details that matter Disney is capable of making a great new overlay if they want to, they just have to be willing to spend the money. Which I don’t think they will be, but hopefully I am wrong.

It’s going to be hard to top Splash though. If that even is possible.
We’re in the middle of a pandemic. Several insiders claim TDO tried to get OLC to pay the R&D costs for the Florida facility. That says it all about this project.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
They could be looking at my posts as we speak, going “Oh yeah? Let’s prove this guy wrong.”
They could just as easily be saying, "Hire one of your hacker buddies to track this guy down and next time he's at the resort, stick him in the first room on the rehab list."

Brer Oswald

Why OLC? They told Disney they're not updating their Splash.
Florida’s and Tokyo’s Mountains were developed at the same time. They opened one day after the other. Their layouts are mirrored. Their flume is the same. Their scenes are in different orders, but a lot of the set pieces and animatronics are shared between the two.

The Disneyland ride is very different than the Florida ride. This is particularly an issue with the pacing of the flume. So they cannot clone it (which probably was one of the enticing elements of this project for Disney).

Several insiders have commented that TDO was counting on OLC for this. I believe them because of the reasons I stated. Without OLC’s contributions, they essentially have to develop two separate Princess and the Frog flume rides, and they already have a ton on their plate. This is why I kept saying the decision to announce it this way was a really poor and miscalculated one. They’ve backed themselves in a corner that they will have to pay quite a bit to get out of.

So what will they do? A few guesses:

1) Disneyland’s goes down in the next 2 years. Florida’s remains as is until Epcot is done and they have the funds to develop a second PatF flume, towards the latter half of the decade. Meanwhile, Splash stays as is at Tokyo.

2) Disneyland’s changes as planned. TDO And OLC agree on a non PatF refurb, and they make it a reality a bit sooner than option 1.

3) Disney fast tracks the project on both coasts. Every project in Florida after Tron and Guardians are put to the wayside to pay for this. Opening between 2024 and 2025.

Parker in NYC

Florida’s and Tokyo’s Mountains were developed at the same time. They opened one day after the other. Their layouts are mirrored. Their flume is the same. Their scenes are in different orders, but a lot of the set pieces and animatronics are shared between the two.

The Disneyland ride is very different than the Florida ride. This is particularly an issue with the pacing of the flume. So they cannot clone it (which probably was one of the enticing elements of this project for Disney).

Several insiders have commented that TDO was counting on OLC for this. I believe them because of the reasons I stated. Without OLC’s contributions, they essentially have to develop two separate Princess and the Frog flume rides, and they already have a ton on their plate. This is why I kept saying the decision to announce it this way was a really poor and miscalculated one. They’ve backed themselves in a corner that they will have to pay quite a bit to get out of.

So what will they do? A few guesses:

1) Disneyland’s goes down in the next 2 years. Florida’s remains as is until Epcot is done and they have the funds to develop a second PatF flume, towards the latter half of the decade. Meanwhile, Splash stays as is at Tokyo.

2) Disneyland’s changes as planned. TDO And OLC agree on a non PatF refurb, and they make it a reality a bit sooner than option 1.

3) Disney fast tracks the project on both coasts. Every project in Florida after Tron and Guardians are put to the wayside to pay for this. Opening between 2024 and 2025.

I want to know where the cash is coming from in order to execute any of the above within any of those time periods.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom