News Goodbye to The Grand Floridian Society Orchestra

UNCgolf

I do, you do, and all the people on this forum do, but I would argue Karen from Ohio doesn’t give two ****s because she paid for a four day park hopper and, dammit, she’s going to be in that park all day long. She cut binders of coupons for this trip, and she be damned to miss her fast pass for dumbo over some orchestra.

I literally have family like this....they see no point of the resorts.

I don't think most of those people are staying at the Grand Floridian. They're staying at a value or at a moderate if they got a good deal (or at an off-site hotel). They would consider the prices at the deluxe hotels to be a tremendous waste of money.

DVCakaCarlF

I don't think most of those people are staying at the Grand Floridian. They're staying at a value or at a moderate if they got a good deal (or at an off-site hotel). They would consider the prices at the deluxe hotels to be a tremendous waste of money.
Yes and no...for example, my cousin won’t stay deluxe ever, but a corporate trip with 250 guests, when the company is paying, don’t value the experience.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What’s interesting about this recession is that despite the economic concerns, the “people” need and want an escape from Covid. As a result, they are flocking to universal, wdw, etc. So, as far as the bobs are concerned, they just need to cut costs and blame covid. The reality won’t set in until after the election. Then everyone’s assumptions will either fade or come true.
They aren’t “flocking” at all. Can cherry pick just the weekends.

And besides...judging on the pictures of Florida this past weekend - they just torpedoed most of their domestic clientele and any hope of internationals returning for the forseeable future.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This is why I stay at the Four Seasons and Uber. Disney has lost its way and it’s never coming back. This. DDP. Fast pass plus. All horrible.
Disney could never compete with a seasons or a mandarin...never. They were never built to. Can’t have “floating” service and quality standard and measure up.

I speak from experience behind the “wall”

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I was referring to the fact that most people are “uncultured.” How many people do you know that appreciate medium rare steak, an orchestra, or straight bourbon? I would guess very few.

The bobs know this, and, as a result, have built a business that speaks to everyone.
I still love Disney : disclaimer

But what bobs have done - and it’s smart - is they have charged exhorbinant fees for unsophisticated stuff and then spun it as “luxury”.

Look the prices for food and services for what is fairly mundane quality now...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It was smart for a while. It may backfire now.
Bob is “blue ocean”...now that theory is put to the test.

He has set it up where he believes there are enough people with uncompromised cash flow “out there” to fill his attendance goals at all times.

Reminds me of what mitt Romney told a crowd in Florida on tape in white pants in 2012

UNCgolf

Bob is “blue ocean”...now that theory is put to the test.

He has set it up where he believes there are enough people with uncompromised cash flow “out there” to fill his attendance goals at all times.

Reminds me of what mitt Romney told a crowd in Florida on tape in white pants in 2012

This reminds me that I reviewed an email earlier today where a board member of a Fortune 500 company who was a successful former (retired) CEO of two other Fortune 500 companies sent an email to his company's CEO basically berating him. Why? Because the CEO was putting "smart, talented" guys in leadership positions over areas with which they had little to no experience. He went on and on about how just because this person was extremely smart and talented in running one type of department didn't mean they would be successful running another type of department, and you needed people with specific experience in that field to get the job done correctly. The latter have vast amounts of operational knowledge that the former didn't and couldn't have, which meant they were always playing catch-up on things those with experience would have innately known and understood.

I'm mentioning this because it reminded me of how Disney has operated this way for basically this whole century, going back to Eisner. Putting people in leadership positions over areas that are outside their realm of expertise and believing that doesn't really matter as long as they have good management skills.

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
This sucks but should be pointed out their temporary home at the Studios was a socially distanced outdoor theater. It would be VERY tough to bring them back to the Grand, especially in the new setting on the ground floor, given that the brass instruments all can spread droplets VERY easily.
1601345011354.png

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Actually, there is an indirect ROI, but Disney seems intent on ignoring this and they wonder why attendance is down from what they even want it to be.
It’s complete ________ to say that there is no ROI for an entertainment company to provide entertainment for their paying customers.

There is no ROI for having an orchestra score a cartoon either. In fact, nobody would even know the difference if you didn’t read the credits.
Go ahead and quantify that "indirect ROI" for some soggy weatherman and his toy salesman buddy. I'll wait.

You see, Disney stopped being an entertainment company a long time ago. Now it's just a shareholder cash machine.

DVCakaCarlF

Just noting that the Chairman of P&R owns the decisions. The exact same people who were blaming Chapek for when it rains now give Josh a free pass for park decisions.

Just calling out the dynamic and the selective blame being applied based on fan popularity.

Selfies or no selfies, Josh is in charge - all good AND bad is on him.
Is that just an assumption based on the org chart?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom