Can the East Coast Marvel Problem Really Be Solved? (Discussion)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I find it interesting that they wanted to "update" the Hulk..
Rebuild. Not update. Only the cars and launch tech were a true update.

Dragons would have gotten the same treatment had it remained. Even with a new style of car or a like for like swap. Nearly did too.

_caleb

The original non-MCU Spider-Man movies (at least the first two) were massive successes, and yet they've basically been forgotten/replaced for any new audience, just as an example of what I could see happening with the MCU down the road.
Thought of this post as I'm reading the rumors that the 3rd MCU Spider-Man movie possibly being set in the multi-verse, being directed by Sam Raimi, and featuring Toby McGuire Tobey Maguire (and Andrew Garfield) alongside Tom Holland! So maybe those forgotten Spider-Man movies won't be forgotten for long!

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

UNCgolf

Thought of this post as I'm reading the rumors that the 3rd MCU Spider-Man movie possibly being set in the multi-verse, being directed by Sam Raimi, and featuring Toby McGuire (and Andrew Garfield) alongside Tom Holland! So maybe those forgotten Spider-Man movies won't be forgotten for long!

If I could go back in time and talk to my past self a year ago today, I'm pretty sure that I'd have a harder time believing that Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield were returning to play Spider-Man alongside Tom Holland in a new film that I would believing that a global pandemic had forced Disney to close for months.

What times we live in.

Trackmaster

Rebuild. Not update. Only the cars and launch tech were a true update.

Dragons would have gotten the same treatment had it remained. Even with a new style of car or a like for like swap. Nearly did too.

That was my point. I don't know why they just rebuilt from the ground up (including footers) a very mediocre 90s B&M design. A modern design should have been lapbars only, had ejector airtime, at inversions that were interesting and not just stock cobra rolls, corkscrews, loops, etc (the 0 G roll is great, but that's about the highlight of the ride right there). Look at what they're doing with VelociCoaster. That's what you need to be doing in the modern age. An interesting ride that actually has an interesting layout and that's well balanced.

I could understand keeping a ride around that's a little dated because you've already invested in it. But why pour that much money into a ground up 90's style ride?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
That was my point. I don't know why they just rebuilt from the ground up (including footers) a very mediocre 90s B&M design. A modern design should have been lapbars only, had ejector airtime, at inversions that were interesting and not just stock cobra rolls, corkscrews, loops, etc (the 0 G roll is great, but that's about the highlight of the ride right there). Look at what they're doing with VelociCoaster. That's what you need to be doing in the modern age. An interesting ride that actually has an interesting layout and that's well balanced.

I could understand keeping a ride around that's a little dated because you've already invested in it. But why pour that much money into a ground up 90's style ride?
Because substantial changes would make the IP contract void.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
First time I have heard that. Based on what is in the contract I am not sure how that would have been an issue.
They have to maintain to a set standard but can’t alter beyond the original design intent. Same way they couldn’t turn The Hulk into a dark ride.

Club Cooloholic

First time I have heard that. Based on what is in the contract I am not sure how that would have been an issue.
They of course are allowed to make substantial changes to the Marvel Island, but they need Marvel(Disney) approval. These changes would not be allowed to use design and look of Characters from the films Disney owns.
Honestly, they should do some updates to the Doom drop and Storm ride. In order to keep the IP they have to keep everything in good upkeep.

Club Cooloholic

I didn’t read the contract for this. I asked.
I read it as a statement, questions usually end with a ? at the end of the sentence.
They can make it whatever they want as long as they work with Marvel and it doesn't diminish the product. I guess they could have said to Uni they think it would be wrong to take away a popular coaster. They did work with them on the coaster redesign. I think in regards to Storm's ride there would be little to argue in replacing it.
This is a good article talking about the changes that are allowed or not and how it all works according to the contract.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I read it as a statement, questions usually end with a ? at the end of the sentence.
They can make it whatever they want as long as they work with Marvel and it doesn't diminish the product. I guess they could have said to Uni they think it would be wrong to take away a popular coaster. They did work with them on the coaster redesign. I think in regards to Storm's ride there would be little to argue in replacing it.
This is a good article talking about the changes that are allowed or not and how it all works according to the contract.
Okay.

Magenta Panther

Most of us know that Universal has the theme parks right (east of the Mississippi) to the vast majority of Marvel characters as well as all the other particulars that go along with that. This post isn't about clarifying or debating any of that.

I am curious about potential (viable) solutions which would alleviate this headache for Disney, if there even are any. Surely, Universal isnt just going to give the rights up in the name of charity. Is it really just a matter of money or do you think such a negotiation would entail other assets which Disney has plenty of?

I know this situation is more than slightly different than the Al Michaels for Oswald the Lucky Rabbit deal but is a similar level of creativity needed here?

Does Universal really see a future for a land with characters that don't look the version the vast majority of the world now recognizes (the MCU version), especially when they still have lucrative IPs under their umbrella they currently are not utilizing in the parks? Is there a chance they could be concerned about brand confusion and/or integrity? Would any of the above even be enough to warrant a deal with an arch-rival?

Thoughts?

How is this a "headache" for Disney? As I understand it, Universal has to pay Disney to use Marvel characters now. Which means Disney gets a nice chunk of change from rides it didn't have to build. Some "headache"!

And now let me ask a question: why are some people here so rabidly, foam-at-the-mouth eager to get more tacky Marvel garbage into WDW? You need Spidey so very very much? Well, happily, there's a solution. It's called Universal Studios Florida. It's right down the road from WDW. You can get your adolescent emotionally-arrested superhero fix there. Have fun!

Shouldigo12

How is this a "headache" for Disney? As I understand it, Universal has to pay Disney to use Marvel characters now. Which means Disney gets a nice chunk of change from rides it didn't have to build. Some "headache"!

And now let me ask a question: why are some people here so rabidly, foam-at-the-mouth eager to get more tacky Marvel garbage into WDW? You need Spidey so very very much? Well, happily, there's a solution. It's called Universal Studios Florida. It's right down the road from WDW. You can get your adolescent emotionally-arrested superhero fix there. Have fun!
And now let me ask question: what's your deal with people who like superheroes? You realize we're all on a site dedicated to a theme park filled with princesses and anthropomorphic animals, yes?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom