News Goodbye to The Grand Floridian Society Orchestra

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
I don’t think the $400+ a night cost is no extra charge! Haha
That's a different business unit. What you spend in the resorts doesn't translate to an improved in-park experience unless you buy the concierge/extra FP+ benefit. Your $400 buys you a bed in a hotel on property... that's all.

trainplane3

I don't know what else to say other then...
flip_over_desk.jpg

DVCakaCarlF

Not boasting... in fact, I’d like to think our family is quite humble; if not blessed. And as such, Disney has certainly gotten a chunk of our hard earned $$$ over the years. We were all in- DVC at BLT, P+ Annual Passes, tables in wonderland, etc. we live nearby and would constantly do staycations along with many trips throughout the week and month. Covid aside, I firmly believe you could feel this building. Even dating back to Off Kilter being let go they were cutting equity as deep as they could. You felt it at the resorts where your “5 star” stay was anything but. We LOVE the orchestra. Honestly, it was the main heart and soul of that lobby much in the same way, as quirky as he is, Bob Jackson was at port orleans. Each and every item taken away has been noticed. Whether it be in the room, guest service, food quality, entertainment, resort amenities, I could go on and on. This was BEFORE the pandemic. You’d seriously think they’d want to do things to encourage us to return!! I’m so sorry to the so many that have been affected and I sincerely hope this company wakes the heck up and realizes just how bad they’re screwing this up.
You bring up an interesting point: doesn’t someone at Disney hear this in surveys, letters, calls, comments, etc.? Does mgmt just ignore it?

DaGoof00

Although it will fall on deaf ears as the ravaging of my home away from home continues under the Chapek era, this was my message to guest services. I would encourage folks to at least voice their dissatisfaction with this. Feel free to copy.

Hello,

I am writing to you with both displeasure and concern over management decisions as of late, in particular in regards to the decision to end the Grand Floridian Society Orchestra. This group of extraordinary and talented musicians have made up the heart and soul of the Grand Floridian since it opened 32 years ago.

Whereas, I can completely understand the need to take precautions for social distancing and safety of guests during these unprecedented times, there is also an imperative for management to protect the livelihood of its employees and the guest experience the consumers come to expect from Disney.

Your flagship resort, as of late, has continuously been stripped of all things Grand and all things that make it a flagship destination. It begs the question of value to experience, which at its price point may no longer be present.

I would encourage management to re-evaluate their decision to end the legacy of the Grand Floridian Society Orchestra and restore them to employment to maintain the guest experience. I would also urge them to return them to their bandstand at the Grand as soon as it is safe for their music to fill the lobby once again.

Regards.

wannabeBelle

Although it will fall on deaf ears as the ravaging of my home away from home continues under the Chapek era, this was my message to guest services. I would encourage folks to at least voice their dissatisfaction with this. Feel free to copy.

Hello,

I am writing to you with both displeasure and concern over management decisions as of late, in particular in regards to the decision to end the Grand Floridian Society Orchestra. This group of extraordinary and talented musicians have made up the heart and soul of the Grand Floridian since it opened 32 years ago.

Whereas, I can completely understand the need to take precautions for social distancing and safety of guests during these unprecedented times, there is also an imperative for management to protect the livelihood of its employees and the guest experience the consumers come to expect from Disney.

Your flagship resort, as of late, has continuously been stripped of all things Grand and all things that make it a flagship destination. It begs the question of value to experience, which at its price point may no longer be present.

I would encourage management to re-evaluate their decision to end the legacy of the Grand Floridian Society Orchestra and restore them to employment to maintain the guest experience. I would also urge them to return them to their bandstand at the Grand as soon as it is safe for their music to fill the lobby once again.

Regards.
Beautifully written DaGoof!!! Marie

nicb88

That's a different business unit. What you spend in the resorts doesn't translate to an improved in-park experience unless you buy the concierge/extra FP+ benefit. Your $400 buys you a bed in a hotel on property... that's all.
I’m talking about $400 buying you the in resort experience. That $400 or more unquestionably pays for the resort upkeep and ‘free’ entertainment such as the orchestra, whether directly or indirectly.

mm52200

Never said they couldn’t return to the Grand. Just saying Disney never cared about that. The Orchestra was furloughed. Beauty and the Beast was supposed to come back. Equity never came to an agreement. So the Orchestra got pulled from furlough to put on a temporary show in the Theater of the Stars. Now Equity is back and Beauty and the Beast is returning and the Orchestra is getting laid off. It definitely sucks, but the way I see it is that the Grand wasn’t going to pay to bring them back but at least they had a temporary home at Studios for 2 months that they wouldn’t have had otherwise.
There’s no plan for Beauty and the Beast to return currently. Not anytime soon. The venue is just going dark.
The orchestra could have eventually come back to Grand even without the temporary show at Studios, it just might have taken awhile. But once you’re brought back from furlough the way the contract works currently is that they can’t Be furloughed again, only other option is to lay them off. The temporary show at studios wasn’t pulling good numbers or reviews so they just decided to close it, save some money, lay off the orchestra.

RonAnnArbor

I know its always sad, but I think people just don't get what's happening at WDW right now. Except for a few rare days, the parks are near-empty. Even with caps, they are getting terrible turnout. The "live shows" that have been added have been pulling in maybe 20-25 people per show...the lobby's of the resorts aren't filled with people looking for something to listen to...they are at 15% capacity and even emptier on some days. There just isn't anyone there. They simply can't afford any of these "extras" -- the live shows and groups were all designed for crowd flow...don't think for a minute WDW wants them there to "entertain you"...they want them there to pull people into certain areas of the park at certain areas of the day. When there isn't anyone to do that with, they are simply superfluous. I feel terrible for them, but until next summer or later, you will see more and more of these things disappearing. Its about money. Its about people from up north not being able to travel to Florida without quarantining upon return so they are not traveling. Its about empty parks, restaurants, and gift shops.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't see them coming back. They have been cutting these type of things since the Bob's took over. Remember the fearless leader did say that the CM'S are the entertainment.
👆🏻👆🏻👆🏻

The solution is “Responsible consumerism”....that’s what I’ve been saying for years.
Kinda a low brow excuse for you, don’t you think?

Factually correct, yes....but Disney sells sentimentality. It’s actually why we’re all here.

If they peddled in just mediocre tangible product - they’d be GM or Delta
You bring up an interesting point: doesn’t someone at Disney hear this in surveys, letters, calls, comments, etc.? Does mgmt just ignore it?
Hear? Yes...
Care?...only when it translates to lost revenues.

wannabeBelle

I know its always sad, but I think people just don't get what's happening at WDW right now. Except for a few rare days, the parks are near-empty. Even with caps, they are getting terrible turnout. The "live shows" that have been added have been pulling in maybe 20-25 people per show...the lobby's of the resorts aren't filled with people looking for something to listen to...they are at 15% capacity and even emptier on some days. There just isn't anyone there. They simply can't afford any of these "extras" -- the live shows and groups were all designed for crowd flow...don't think for a minute WDW wants them there to "entertain you"...they want them there to pull people into certain areas of the park at certain areas of the day. When there isn't anyone to do that with, they are simply superfluous. I feel terrible for them, but until next summer or later, you will see more and more of these things disappearing. Its about money. Its about people from up north not being able to travel to Florida without quarantining upon return so they are not traveling. Its about empty parks, restaurants, and gift shops.
So what was the excuse for when they got rid of Off Kilter, Mo'Rockin, Mulch, Sweat & Shears and many other live entertainment acts over the last few years when Covid was not even around and they were doing well? Covid didn't help this year, but this had been a pattern of watering down the experience that we know and love over at least 6 years, probably more. Marie

TrainsOfDisney

I know its always sad, but I think people just don't get what's happening at WDW right now. Except for a few rare days, the parks are near-empty. Even with caps, they are getting terrible turnout. The "live shows" that have been added have been pulling in maybe 20-25 people per show...
Source? I keep hearing how crowded Studios is everyday.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom