News Tomorrowland love

FigmentFan82

Compare that to the last 48 years, where Cinderella Castle's paint job was pretty universally loved, and you see how this becomes a backwards step.

1996 notwithstanding, of course.
But that's just it. If something doesn't change and that is all you know, then you don't have anything to compare to. At which point birthday cake castle and stitch castle need to be in the conversation, as they were in fact changes that divided people. So it's less a backwards step and more of a lateral step.

Bocabear

When it is not universally loved the way the original colors were, it is not lateral... It is a step backwards.
If we knew for example that it was just temporary for the Anniversary, then I think a lot of people would relax but it has been stated on these forums that it is remaining... and it just looks GARISH.

FigmentFan82

When it is not universally loved the way the original colors were, it is not lateral... It is a step backwards.
If we knew for example that it was just temporary for the Anniversary, then I think a lot of people would relax but it has been stated on these forums that it is remaining... and it just looks GARISH.
I'm glad you took a poll of the universe to get that stat.

Many like it. Many don't. Can't be a step backwards if there are people who like it

Chicken Guy

Many like it. Many don't. Can't be a step backwards if there are people who like it
Don't deny that with or without research, you would be hard-pressed to find many people who didn't like the way the castle looked before. And as for the '96 and Stitch overlays, those were different because they were quite obviously meant to be temporary. Everyone knew that Disney wasn't going to keep the castle as a giant birthday cake with a "25" on the front, nor were they going to keep it covered in toilet paper for all time.

yensidtlaw1969

But that's just it. If something doesn't change and that is all you know, then you don't have anything to compare to. At which point birthday cake castle and stitch castle need to be in the conversation, as they were in fact changes that divided people. So it's less a backwards step and more of a lateral step.
The paint scheme for Cinderella Castle did in fact change a number of times over those 48 years - but it always stayed within the general vicinity of the original color palette. The precise greys and blues did change on more than one occassion, and even some beiges were added about 15 years ago or so. But in any shade and saturation, they managed to make the overall image always read as the iconic Cinderella Castle. This new scheme is too far a modification to do that. Which would be fine if the new interpretation knocked everyone's socks off, but it demonstrably doesn't.

JoeCamel

The paint scheme for Cinderella Castle did in fact change a number of times over those 48 years - but it always stayed within the general vicinity of the original color palette. The precise greys and blues did change on more than one occassion, and even some beiges were added about 15 years ago or so. But in any shade and saturation, they managed to make the overall image always read as the iconic Cinderella Castle. This new scheme is too far a modification to do that. Which would be fine if the new interpretation knocked everyone's socks off, but it demonstrably doesn't.

Um, if lots of people liked it before and fewer people like it now it is a step backwards. It is garish and either does or does not look good depending on the lighting, time of day and who is taking a picture of it. A fail

FigmentFan82

Um, if lots of people liked it before and fewer people like it now it is a step backwards. It is garish and either does or does not look good depending on the lighting, time of day and who is taking a picture of it. A fail
Um, if you make up things like “fewer people like it now” without anything to back it up other than opinions voiced on these forums which is not an accurate representation of the entire WDW going population, then you cannot make a blanket statement that it is a step backwards or a fail. Pushing a narrative to fit your opinion does not make it a fact. So stop trying to do that.

JoeCamel

Um, if you make up things like “fewer people like it now” without anything to back it up other than opinions voiced on these forums which is not an accurate representation of the entire WDW going population, then you cannot make a blanket statement that it is a step backwards or a fail. Pushing a narrative to fit your opinion does not make it a fact. So stop trying to do that.
Sure, whatever you say, your opinion over all ya' know

Chicken Guy

What was that you said about making blanket statements?

tirian

I don’t know anything about additional accents for the castle, but I find it funny how this is the way we respond to whatever strange thing Disney does these days:
“Maybe they’re not finished with the work yet?”
”Maybe the color will fade and will look right?”
“Maybe they’ll plant some trees to hide it?”
“Maybe they’re going to add some decoration to the giant, plain box?”
“Maybe they’ll add the droids and aliens later?”
”Maybe they‘re still going to replace the temporary tents with something more permanent?”
Yet most of our maybes are just wishful thinking.

If it only looks good from certain angles, with certain lighting, at a certain time of day, or better with enhancements that have not arrived yet, I would say it is pretty much a failure of design. In it's original colors it ALWAYS looked good...
If this is a permanent change, I would say someone strayed a little too far from the mark.

That's a failure for something that you know is going to be heavily photographed.

perceived failure, as many have stated they love how it looks, but fairly many do not as well

WDI Show Producers and Portfolio Directors are paid huge salaries to get it right. They shouldn’t need fans to make excuses for the one of the world’s most photographed landmarks.

“Hope you have the right camera, sunlight, filter, etc. to match someone’s bad idea.”

Last edited:

FigmentFan82

WDI Show Producers and Portfolio Directors are paid huge salaries to get it right. They shouldn’t need fans to make excuses for the one of world’s most photographed landmarks.

“Hope you have the right camera, sunlight, filter, etc. to match someone’s bad idea.”
And what if those WDI folks genuinely liked it. Is that wrong because you don’t? Any artistic endeavor is subject to differences of opinion. Yet all here seem to know best. Maybe you guys should submit resumes

tirian

And what if those WDI folks genuinely liked it. Is that wrong because you don’t? Any artistic endeavor is subject to differences of opinion. Yet all here seem to know best. Maybe you guys should submit resumes
Most of us with strong opinions are part of the industry. Some already worked for the Mouse and left.

It doesn’t matter how much someone likes their own idea if it doesn’t work objectively; “Beauty is in the eye of the beholder” is typically used to describe something of poor taste. 😉

But if you really like it under those specific viewing conditions, I’m not judging you at all. I simply think it was a bad idea to paint the castle a color scheme that requires specific lighting, filters, etc. to look right in photos.

EDIT: the same criteria applies to the underscaled entrance marquee arch for Tomorrowland, as well as its new mismatched color scheme.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom