Trip Report Clappy Clap.....Welcome Back!! The Many "World Firsts" TR

Hello all & welcome!! I'm so happy to finally be able to do another TR!! It feels like forever since my last one--probably b/c it has been(at least that's the way I feel)!! So, I don't want to dwell on the negative b/c let's face it, we've all had a crappy year. 2020 has not been kind to us. But, along with the obvious I had 3 relatives pass within 3 months of each other. Then I knew I was losing my job of almost 28 years in July. We had a Disney trip booked in May that never happened. E rescheduled for June(I couldn't b/c of work) but we all know what happened there--access denied. I knew I wouldn't be able to go until August so she & J booked for then. Since I no longer had an existing reservation she figured she would add me on to her's. Little did we know that nothing would be that simple....

I'll fill you in on the drama as we go along....

WHEN: Tuesday, August 11th - Tuesday, August 18th

WHERE: Saratoga Springs(Spoiler--we really ended up enjoying our stay there. Of course, it's not our beloved Riverside but we agreed it had kind of the same "vibe". Being on the Sassagoula kind of helped with that also.)
IMG_6400.JPEG

THE DRAMA THAT WENT ALONG WITH IT:

E & J may have had a reservation but there was no room at the inn for me. E purposely got a 1 bedroom villa & thought it would be easy to add me to the reservation. Yeah, that wasn't happening. They were not accepting any modifications to existing reservations. It was getting down to the wire. She was able to make park reservations & I still couldn't be added on. Finally, all's well that ends well. After many weeks of trying she was able to add me on & I was able to get the same parks. Never fear though, as a few of my magic friends know I had a "Plan B" ready as a backup but fortunately didn't have to go that route.
IMG_6213.JPEG

Then there were the many flight changes Southwest kept imposing on us. Here was one they did for me that was particularly scary. What happened to Pittsburgh to Orlando? :oops: They had my return flight correct but that didn't mean anything b/c it didn't look like I'd be making it there to begin with!!
IMG_6202.JPEG

The loss of my job was weighing on me all year(I've known since January). Here's my desk during my final days.
IMG_6287.JPEG

The reason for the dates was I knew I would be done with my job by then. I figured I'd take a few weeks off. One week to get situated then the next week to go to Disney. After that I would come back and search for work. Sounds like the perfect plan, right?
While still employed the new company taking over was encouraging us to apply. I did but didn't think it would really go anywhere for a number of reasons. Lo & behold they made me an offer on July 30th & asked me if I could give them an answer the next day. They were planning on reopening the store August 16th--while I would be away!! I broke the news that I would be away then. The company was very receptive to it when I explained why I had planned it the way I did. I also figured I should totally come clean & mentioned that I had an October trip booked also!! At this point I thought for sure they wouldn't want me. I called the next day & accepted their offer. Originally the plan was that I would start on the 19th when I got back. They called me on the 1st & asked me to start on the 3rd so I could get some training time in before I went away. I was fine with it & did it but was scrambling to pack etc.

I'm happy to be back in the place I've worked all my life that is so much a part of me. I'm still learning to do things the way the new company does them but overall I'm happy with the way things are going.

E & family were very sweet to give me a good luck present when I started my new(old:hilarious:) job.
IMG_6308.JPEG

With not much time to pack I made sure to do it early. I actually packed 6 days before the trip. That's amazing for me!!
IMG_6328.JPEG

I also made sure to bring a large supply of masks. They would get gross in a hurry!!
IMG_6332.JPEG

THE TITLE: I have to start out by giving credit to @Rista1313!! I got the "Clappy Clap" part from a comment she had made in my last TR. So many magicians loved the saying & I thought it was quite catchy. The "Welcome Back" part is b/c I truly felt like we were really welcomed back by the CM's. They seemed genuinely happy to have guests there. Also, that song had been in my mind for quite some time. Has anyone seen the Applebee's commercial with that song in it? The first time I saw it I had tears in my eyes. It's very fitting & says a lot with little words. And, there were many "World Firsts" you'll see as we go along!!

WHO: I'm sure you've figured it out by now but we're back to the "same old" crew!! My sister E, my nephew J & myself, Patti!!
IMG_6724.JPG

No, I don't really care for pictures of my backside but I did think this was a neat picture--minus the castle colors. I'm still not a fan!!:cautious:

To all my friends out there reading, "Welcome Back"!!

Last edited:

slipperalwaysfits

I explained that it wasn't but since she was going away we wanted to send something to her at school to say hello to her.

How sweet and how lucky she gets to go live at school when so many don't this year!

And I was creeping again!!

I LOVE looking over and seeing what the CM's see. Seems like TSMM is the best place to do that!

I usually wear bigger earrings but had been getting frustrated over the last few months b/c they end up getting caught when I'm putting my mask on/off.

I haven't worn earrings since March 7. I've tried but it's such a hassle with the mask. I did wear them for our anniversary dinner in June.

Little did we know that his drink came with one so now he had 2(along with the other who knows how many from previous trips!!)

Does he really save them all and use them in his drinks back home? :jawdrop: :geek:

J got his usual salmon. I'm sorry--that portion is pitiful. 2 pieces--that's it. He loves salmon & always eats all of it when we go there. He even noticed the small portion. If a 5 year old notices it that is pretty bad.

That portion is an insult! I get child portions are small, but that's ridiculous! At least four salmon pieces would make sense!

Hills are J's biggest fear. He says he doesn't like the feeling he gets in his stomach from them.

That was my biggest fear as a kid, now it's 60 mph launches, although I am getting better about overcoming that fear.

It's cute but E & I said we could take it or leave it. We both prefer GMR. J however decided that he liked it & wanted to go on it again our next HS day!!

He didn't like parts of the ride but loved it overall! Maybe that bodes well for the hill on Pirates?

This was in the Art of Disney store. I liked it also!!

We have a lot of Disney matted prints, including one very similar to this! Our house is open plan, so we don't have enough wall space for all the Disney art!

Minnesota disney fan

Just finished up the last few pages. I can't get over how uncrowded and weird it seems at WDW!

Also the TSL lack of crowds seems unreal. It was always so crowded when we went there. It was difficult to get around to anything!

I really like the cavalcades instead of parades. We (hubby and I) don't really like the parades either. Seems sacroreligious to say that on here 🥴 . We really liked the small parades/cavalcades at Universal alot. I hope disney keeps these short cavalcades in the future.

Ok, I still think that popcorn bucket looks like mickey has a spike in his head LOL:D

Looks like you guys were tired alot? or just that it was too hot? Anyway, great report:), as always.

k8einwdw

This shocked me more than anything. The water fountains are still operational!! Talk about a germ pool!! I wouldn't drink out of them if you paid me--even pre-covid. Let's face it, we've all seen that kid/adult that goes to take a drink from a water fountain & totally wraps their mouth around the spout:hungover::hungover::hungover: Enough said.
Girl...my husband drank out of one of the water fountains in the Seven Dwarfs queue when we were there a couple weeks ago. I wanted to die right then and there.

I did buy this though--& so did E!!
IMG_6830.JPEG
I am kicking myself for not buying that when we were there! It is so pretty!

KellBelle

Sorry for all the likes! I am just now getting caught up. :cool:. That was a ridiculous portion at Prime Time, even tiny for a kid. When we ate there, we found some of the adult portions to be small. One of our group ordered the adult meatloaf and it was so tiny, we thought they brought him a child size by mistake.

riverside

Original Poster
DH loves Blaze but we’ve had similar experiences at the ones around us. They always seem surprised/overwhelmed that people want pizzas. 🤷🏻‍♀️🤣 We have another chain here called MOD pizza which I prefer.
There's a Blaze by my house & I've always been happy with them!! I was surprised at what happened there b/c they weren't busy in the least!!
It's too bad the food court didn't have much of a selection. :( You must have felt like you were virtually the only guests there at times! I do find certain resorts have better pillows than others.:rolleyes:
To quote my friend @Darstarr "Eating at WDW is hard...."
I could have the most uncomfortable bed & I can tolerate that more than lousy pillows!!
The Treehouses look very nice and J is going to have so much fun there! Being directional challenged myself, I can totally understand how things went South. ;)
I'm not a "outdoorsy" person in the least but I'm excited for them also!!
That was just totally ridiculous--the app didn't make sense in the least!!
How sweet and how lucky she gets to go live at school when so many don't this year!
I'm glad for her & she is enjoying it!!
I LOVE looking over and seeing what the CM's see. Seems like TSMM is the best place to do that!
I do it every time!!
I haven't worn earrings since March 7. I've tried but it's such a hassle with the mask. I did wear them for our anniversary dinner in June.
They are a hassle but I still wear them every day!
Does he really save them all and use them in his drinks back home? :jawdrop: :geek:
No. He probably doesn't even know where they are. Heck, E probably throws them out!! 🤣 It's more of a "in the moment" type thing for him!!
That portion is an insult! I get child portions are small, but that's ridiculous! At least four salmon pieces would make sense!
It always was 4 pieces in the past. All 3 of us noticed it--that is telling in itself.
That was my biggest fear as a kid, now it's 60 mph launches, although I am getting better about overcoming that fear.
I'm good with the launches, I just can't get over the heights!
He didn't like parts of the ride but loved it overall! Maybe that bodes well for the hill on Pirates?
Oh no. We never went on. He refused!!
Just finished up the last few pages. I can't get over how uncrowded and weird it seems at WDW!

Also the TSL lack of crowds seems unreal. It was always so crowded when we went there. It was difficult to get around to anything!

I really like the cavalcades instead of parades. We (hubby and I) don't really like the parades either. Seems sacroreligious to say that on here 🥴 . We really liked the small parades/cavalcades at Universal alot. I hope disney keeps these short cavalcades in the future.

Ok, I still think that popcorn bucket looks like mickey has a spike in his head LOL:D

Looks like you guys were tired alot? or just that it was too hot? Anyway, great report:), as always.
TSL was actually enjoyable b/c of how empty it was!!

I'm with you on parades but I do like FoF. I hope they keep the cavalcades also!!

I can't wait to see what popcorn buckets they have on our next trip!!🤣

I'm always tired!! It was hot also. I do think the masks help to wear one down a bit. Thanks!!
Yah, that's pretty bad. :hilarious:
Amen to that!!
Girl...my husband drank out of one of the water fountains in the Seven Dwarfs queue when we were there a couple weeks ago. I wanted to die right then and there.
I laughed so hard when I read this!! I totally would feel the same way!!
I am kicking myself for not buying that when we were there! It is so pretty!

Me too - I saw something similar (different colors I think) at New Years and now I wish I had bought it too.
The merchandise doesn't seem to change that often so I wouldn't be surprised if they have it around for awhile!!
Sorry for all the likes! I am just now getting caught up. :cool:. That was a ridiculous portion at Prime Time, even tiny for a kid. When we ate there, we found some of the adult portions to be small. One of our group ordered the adult meatloaf and it was so tiny, we thought they brought him a child size by mistake.
Not at all--thanks for reading!!
We were all quite surprised by it. I thought mine & E's portions looked the norm but poor J definitely got shortchanged!!

riverside

Original Poster
FRIDAY, AUGUST 14TH

I wake up quite a bit at night(all the time, not just at Disney) & at 3:20 am I was flipping through stations & was quite excited to find this on channel 73(I believe)!! I watched for a bit & have to admit that it was quite sad to see how much didn't apply anymore & just how quick things have changed.
IMG_6857.JPEG

IMG_6858.JPEG

We all know I'm a fan of the Disney shampoos/wash. I knew one of each wouldn't last me a week so I had requested one of each of the shampoo, conditioner & body wash. This is what I got:
IMG_6860.JPEG

Hakuna Matata!! We're on our way to AK!!
IMG_6861.JPEG

While on the bus I looked at the wait times. 15 minutes for FoP?? Quite tempting!!
IMG_6862.PNG

I never noticed this detail on the benches until that day.
IMG_6863.JPEG

Looking to be another low crowd day!!
IMG_6864.JPEG

Still so surreal!!
IMG_6865.JPEG

IMG_6866.JPEG

This was the ONLY day I didn't set off the metal detector. Keep in mind, I had the same things in my bag every day.
IMG_6867.JPEG

riverside

Original Poster
FRIDAY, AUGUST 14TH

Prior to entering we had stopped for a few pictures.
IMG_6892.JPG

A little crooked but ok....
IMG_6894.JPG

IMG_6898.JPG

IMG_6980.JPG

I noticed there weren't any PP photographers out in front of the tree.
IMG_6868.JPEG

Maybe b/c there's no people??
IMG_6870.JPEG

We headed to Africa for our first ride of the day.
IMG_6871.JPEG

I was still in amazement at the lack of people.
IMG_6872.JPEG

riverside

Original Poster
FRIDAY, AUGUST 14TH

We hadn't been to AK since November so I was excited to be back!! And who could complain about a 10 minute safari wait!!
IMG_6874.JPEG

We were on in no time at all for what would end up being one of the best safaris we had ever been on!!
IMG_6877.JPEG

IMG_6878.JPEG

Yeah, not much commentary. I can never remember what kind of animals I'm seeing.
IMG_6879.JPEG

There were so many that were so close to us & it made it that much more fun!!
IMG_6882.JPEG

IMG_6883.JPEG

IMG_6885.JPEG

IMG_6886.JPEG

IMG_6887.JPEG

J's favorite!!
IMG_6888.JPEG

riverside

Original Poster
FRIDAY, AUGUST 14TH

Now this guy(I do know it's a white rhino!!) was the star of the show. He ended up getting so close to us that we had to stop for awhile b/c of it. It was so cool!!
IMG_6889.JPEG

IMG_6891.JPEG

IMG_6900.JPEG

J was really excited!!
IMG_6901.JPEG

IMG_6902.JPEG

So close....
IMG_6903.JPEG

He finally made his way along side of us then crossed in front of our jeep!!
IMG_6905.JPEG

It really was neat to be that close to him/them!!
IMG_6906.JPEG

Wrapping things up with the lion!!
IMG_6908 - Copy.JPEG

IMG_6910.JPEG

That was probably the best safari I've ever been on!!

riverside

Original Poster
FRIDAY, AUGUST 14TH

We headed out of Africa to get our daily dose of Starbucks!!
IMG_6911.JPEG

I think this mug is so cute!!
IMG_6912.JPEG

Ok, I just need to vent for a moment. It never fails, anytime I go somewhere & I'm asked my name I immediately get the question, "Is that Patti with a "Y" or "IE"? Neither, it's just an "I". Am I the only person on the face of the earth to spell Patti with an "I"? Obviously, I wasn't even asked this day how to spell it. It was just assumed that it was with an "IE"🤷‍♀️
IMG_6913.JPEG

While sitting for a few minutes enjoying our drinks we discussed what we were going to do next.
IMG_6914.JPEG

We headed to Pandora.
IMG_6915.JPEG

No, not to wait in the 35 minute line for Navi River Journey(even though you can't make it out).
IMG_6916.JPEG

We were going on FoP!! I couldn't believe it!! We actually talked J into going on it!!
IMG_6917.JPEG

So far, he thinks he's big stuff!!
IMG_6918.JPEG

He was excited & was asking lots of questions about what was inside there. This had been the first time we went through this way b/c we've always had FP's prior to this. Therefore, I really didn't know what to tell him.
IMG_6919.JPEG

riverside

Original Poster
FRIDAY, AUGUST 14TH

I felt bad that he had so many questions that we couldn't answer. Part of him asking questions is his nerves. He gets scared when he's doing something new for the first time. He asks bunches of questions. I think it makes him feel better b/c he kind of knows what to expect then.
IMG_6920.JPEG

IMG_6921.JPEG

Think he'll be smiling when it's all over??
IMG_6922.JPEG

IMG_6923.JPEG

We had explained the ride vehicle to him ahead of time so he wouldn't become startled with the restraints. So far so good!!🤞
IMG_6924.JPEG

Well, that was a "one & done". I have to give him credit. He never cried or got upset but when we got off he said he never wanted to go on again!! We had tried telling him this ride was like Soarin' but I think it was just too intense for him. We told him that we were proud of him for at least giving it a try!!
IMG_6926.JPEG

He needed to sit down to regroup for a minute!!

We got a few pictures to commemorate this monumentous occasion!!
IMG_6983.JPG

IMG_6986.JPG

IMG_6987.JPG

It's almost like he has a look in his eyes like, "What did you two put me through?":hilarious:
IMG_6992.JPG

riverside

Original Poster
FRIDAY, AUGUST 14TH

It had been awhile since we had been on Navi River Journey so we decided to go on that next. We told J that he had been on it before & it was nothing more than a short boat ride--without hills!! I'm not sure he had much confidence in us at that point though!! He was squirming & very nervous during the beginning of the ride. Towards the end he was much better.
IMG_6930.JPEG

IMG_6931.JPEG

IMG_6932.JPEG

IMG_6933.JPEG

Now onto something more his speed!!
IMG_6934.JPEG

E went to the restroom while J & I went on the ride.
IMG_6935.JPEG

IMG_6937.JPEG

It was so empty that the CM announced that anyone who wanted to ride a second time could stay on so we did!!
IMG_6939.JPEG

KellBelle

Ok, I just need to vent for a moment. It never fails, anytime I go somewhere & I'm asked my name I immediately get the question, "Is that Patti with a "Y" or "IE"? Neither, it's just an "I". Am I the only person on the face of the earth to spell Patti with an "I"? Obviously, I wasn't even asked this day how to spell it. It was just assumed that it was with an "IE"🤷‍♀️

I TOTALLY get your pain! I am Kelli and OMG it's like no one has ever seen it spelled that way before. I usually go with whatever spelling someone comes up with, but it gets old.

riverside

Original Poster
FRIDAY, AUGUST 14TH

As if we hadn't tortured the poor kid enough we somehow talked him into trying Dinosaur for the first time!!:p Come on, he's a boy. This is a perfect ride for boys his age, right? Don't all boys that age love dinosaurs??
IMG_6940.JPEG

Another walk through a pre-show.
IMG_6941.JPEG

He was asking a ton of questions again.
IMG_6942.JPEG

You can almost see the fear in his eyes. And take notice of his hands. He always starts fidgeting with them when he gets nervous.
IMG_6943.JPEG

And.......he absolutely loved it & can't wait to go back on it again!!:)
IMG_6944.JPEG

Thank goodness we didn't scar him twice in one day!!
IMG_6945.JPEG

See the CM with the sign? Robbie is his name. He had talked to us on our way to Dinosaur & we told him J was going on for the first time. He tried to reassure him that it wasn't that bad etc. We saw him coming towards us afterwards & J was so excited to tell him how he went on & how much he liked it!! It was so cute!!
IMG_6946.JPEG

We decided to look around in the shops.
IMG_6947.JPEG

IMG_6948.JPEG

I still couldn't get over the emptiness of the park.
IMG_6949.JPEG

riverside

Original Poster
FRIDAY, AUGUST 14TH

With there not being any shows & knowing that there was no way we would get J on EE we decided to head out.
IMG_6950.JPEG

But not without pictures first!! J saw the PP photographer & said we needed to stop for pictures!!
IMG_6994.JPG

IMG_6995.JPG

IMG_6996.JPG

IMG_6951.JPEG

And it was another lonely bus ride back to Saratoga Springs!!
IMG_6953.JPEG

IMG_6954.JPEG

riverside

Original Poster
I TOTALLY get your pain! I am Kelli and OMG it's like no one has ever seen it spelled that way before. I usually go with whatever spelling someone comes up with, but it gets old.
Yes--I agree it does get old esp. when you tell someone how it is spelled.
How about this?? My dad named me after my mom. It totally irritated my grandma(his mom)so for my whole life she spelled my name "Patty". No matter how many times my parents corrected her she still did it just to be spiteful b/c she didn't like that my dad named me after my mom😩

riverside

Original Poster
FRIDAY, AUGUST 14TH

We got back to Saratoga Springs & I tried to call my new job to get my schedule for the following week b/c I was starting there on Wednesday, the day after we got back. They must have been having phone issues b/c every time I called it kept coming up "user busy" on my phone. I actually didn't end up getting my schedule until a few days later. Let me quickly explain "Foodland". When I first started there 28 years ago that was the name of the grocery store. About 15 years ago we switched suppliers & we had to change our name. Now, there is yet another name since the new company bought it but it will always be "Foodland" to me therefore I've never changed it in my phone!!
IMG_6955.PNG

We brought some snacks from the room to have as our lunch & hung out at the pool & splash pad for awhile!!
IMG_6956.JPEG

It was nice to cool off for awhile. Until J decided he wanted to go in the hot tub!!🥵 I went with him & said that the sign said there is a 5 minute time limit in there--meanwhile it says 15!!🤫
IMG_6957.JPEG

We hung out a little longer then headed back to get ready for dinner.
IMG_6959.JPEG

IMG_6962.JPEG

Yes, I know the mask is down but...
IMG_6963.JPEG

we had a private ride!!
IMG_6964.JPEG

IMG_6965.JPEG

First stop....this may or may not have had something to do with him getting on FoP!!
IMG_6966.JPEG

I like this picture!!
IMG_6967.JPEG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom