Voyage of the Little Mermaid is done, won't reopen with the parks.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I’ve got plenty of eye witnesses! Just step with me into this alternate dimension machine...

All I’m saying is that pretend Mystic Manor was actually a Pixar animated movie first. Yet the attraction would still be the exact same attraction. Would we be singing its praises as highly?

I don't know. But let me be the first to say that "Mystic Manor" needs to be a Pixar animated movie.
To your point though, when you have a ride based on a movie... there's always going to be comparisons be it criticisms, complaints or praises regarding it's execution.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I’ve got plenty of eye witnesses! Just step with me into this alternate dimension machine...

All I’m saying is, pretend Mystic Manor was actually a Pixar animated movie first. Yet the attraction would still be the exact same attraction. Would we be singing its praises as highly?
Its a real catch 22 isn’t it.

It isn’t so much IP as IP placement and context (I’m on record saying Rat will be a good, pretty well executed fit for the direction of that park)

UNCgolf

Wow, I really like how you get shrunk down to a size smaller than a toy and walk around a kid's play area. Then the use of 90s style game boxes, instructions and even price tags is so immersive and nostalgic for me. Plus, TSMM is my favorite ride in the park (save RnRc). I'm glad they added extra capacity with TSL.

I don't mean to be overly harsh, and it's great that some people enjoy it!

I know that's what they were going for, and it's successful to an extent. The bigger problem is that it's very small and doesn't have great attractions. I personally have a strong dislike for TSMM, but even if you love it, it was preexisting. Only SDD and Saucers were built for TSL, and while Slinky Dog is a fun enough ride, there's just not much theming to it beyond the fact you're sitting in a Slinky Dog vehicle. You go by a few props etc. but I think it's a lesser ride than 7DMT, and 7DMT is nowhere near as good as it could/should have been.

I just think they could have easily built something significantly better.

UNCgolf

All I’m saying is, pretend Mystic Manor was actually a Pixar animated movie first. Yet the attraction would still be the exact same attraction. Would we be singing its praises as highly?

It's a good question, but Splash Mountain is an IP ride. People absolutely love it and consider it one of the best attractions at WDW. There also seems to be a lot of excitement around the Tokyo BatB ride because it looks stellar. I think there was excitement about the Little Mermaid ride too, until it was actually opened and turned out to be awful. I think if the attraction is good enough, the use of IP doesn't really matter -- depending on placement, of course, as Martin mentioned.

Freshee61

Is voyage really done? I was there a few weeks ago and it was closed.I just thought it was end of day. Has it opened? I really loved this dang show 😫

Last edited:

DisneyDean97

I haven't read all forty-something pages of this thread but obviously with everything going on in the world right now and Disney cutting budgets/jobs, it looks like this attraction is sticking around for a little while longer. My question is, when will DHS see a new ride? Before 2030? I get the park needs more attractions but other than a rumored Dinoland redo, it seems Animal Kingdom is flying under the radar for any new additions in the future which worries me; MK is getting Tron and Epcot is receiving it's much needed boost, but Pandora can't carry the park forever, and with the short lines and no shows... Animal Kingdom's lack of attractions becomes pretty evident right now.

owlsandcoffee

There’s no way Rat fits better in a “Pixar Place” than in France where it took place (in a restaurant, no less.)

The only thing tying them together is a studio. So can we group Snow White with Moana and DuckTales and call it “Disney Place?”

I think perhaps my wording was unclear. I was saying that 'Pixar Place' the little street that's currently blocked off could've led into a larger Pixar Land that had a menagerie of Pixar related rides in larger themed areas, such as Place de Remy in the Paris Studios Park. Monstropolis for Monsters, Inc., Andy's backyard for Toy Story, etc. That's actually pretty much what Paris has. Place de Remy is in the larger area Toon Studio, which while aesthetically lacking in some ways does have a variety of Pixar IPs throughout. So I mean...Rat was originally built in a Pixar Land.

All of what I said is completely Blue Sky anyways. Pixar Place was closed and TSL and SWGE were built.

(As @RobWDW1971 pointed out Fantasyland is exactly that. It's the Disney animated features part of the Magic Kingdom parks and always was, back to 1955. I was specifically suggesting something similar to that, with more expansive themed areas)

owlsandcoffee

I haven't read all forty-something pages of this thread but obviously with everything going on in the world right now and Disney cutting budgets/jobs, it looks like this attraction is sticking around for a little while longer. My question is, when will DHS see a new ride? Before 2030? I get the park needs more attractions but other than a rumored Dinoland redo, it seems Animal Kingdom is flying under the radar for any new additions in the future which worries me; MK is getting Tron and Epcot is receiving it's much needed boost, but Pandora can't carry the park forever, and with the short lines and no shows... Animal Kingdom's lack of attractions becomes pretty evident right now.

With Galaxy's Edge and Runaway Railway being finished so recently, I can't imagine DHS will see any major changes for many years. EPCOT is currently the focus of most of the capital expenses, with AK probably getting some love after that. I would expect something to replace Primeval Whirl, since it was closed.

I have no clue though, of course.

RSoxNo1

Neither does Rat but it’s possibly the best of the worst.
The test I use is that if the movie didn't exist, would this story still work for EPCOT? I think if they made up a fictitious rat running through a French kitchen and put it in the France Pavilion we might say it's childish but we'd accept it. Conversely, other than the rock trolls at the beginning there is no real way to pitch Frozen Ever After the same way.

Animaniac93-98

The test I use is that if the movie didn't exist, would this story still work for EPCOT? I think if they made up a fictitious rat running through a French kitchen and put it in the France Pavilion we might say it's childish but we'd accept it.

But you could swap "French" kitchen for Chinese or Mexican and the ride would be basically the same.

The cultural significance/relevance of Rat is only skin deep.

Out of all of Disney's IPs, Hunchback of Notre Dame is still the one with the most cultural significance to France. But without a preexisting ride or established franchise (despite the attempt to bring it to Broadway), it was never going to be considered.

seabreezept813

While my family has enjoyed Enchanted Tales with Belle and I have a 2 year old who would adore it, I’d be delighted if the BatB ride replaced it.

UNCgolf

Very true. I think you could argue it has more to do with EPCOT than Beauty and the Beast, but it's by a whisker.

Ratatouille does specifically take place in Paris, which helps. On the other hand, Beauty and the Beast is based on a fairy tale written by a French author, so you could argue it has a closer tie to actual French culture (although of course the Disney version isn't exactly the same thing as the fairy tale, and the original fairy tale wasn't created from scratch as variations of the tale existed previously in other places). It's really six of one, half dozen of another.

owlsandcoffee

There is room, across a maintenance back-street, to build something. They could keep the restaurant and put in the ride, although the entrance would have to be changed.

Jon81uk

But you could swap "French" kitchen for Chinese or Mexican and the ride would be basically the same.

The cultural significance/relevance of Rat is only skin deep.

Out of all of Disney's IPs, Hunchback of Notre Dame is still the one with the most cultural significance to France. But without a preexisting ride or established franchise (despite the attempt to bring it to Broadway), it was never going to be considered.

I would say restaurant cooked food is more a part of French culture. You suggest Mexico but that is more about family and households tethering than restaurant food.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom