Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Starting to think this gets cancelled and moved to virtual. It’s just crazy to me they charge the same amount for virtual.

I’d just get a refund like to did for wine and dine.

I volunteer for several races in my city, most of which are organized by one of two race companies. There is quite a bit of money that is paid out long before a race to vendors and other things (permits, etc) plus the employee costs. So while as a runner, I agree with you that it is crazy, on the other hand having spoken to the company I volunteer for, I wouldnt be surprised if runDisney have calculated the likely percentage to go the virtual route and are mostly trying to recover costs.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I'll be so crushed if this gets moved to virtual -- already have the entire trip planned and booked. Now I'll have to figure out if I'll actually head down to the parks for race weekend if it goes virtual.

I signed up for the 4 nighter on the Dream to run the Castaway Challenge. Used one of my future cruise credits from the 3 cancelled DCL cruises to pay for it. However, haven't registered for the challenge yet, because I'm concerned not only will runDisney move the Marathon weekend races to virtual, but DCL may cancel cruises into 2021.

I signed up for the 4 nighter on the Dream to run the Castaway Challenge. Used one of my future cruise credits from the 3 cancelled DCL cruises to pay for it. However, haven't registered for the challenge yet, because I'm concerned not only will runDisney move the Marathon weekend races to virtual, but DCL may cancel cruises into 2021.

But cases are coming down. Will they still cancel marathon and princess you think?? I am currently watching an Epcot walk through video on YouTube and the announcements about social distancing and face masks and washing your hands, are not even playing, and the video was posted today.

Greenlawler

We are debating whether or not to just come on down to WDW regardless, and running the races down there. On the other hand we might just run them up here and go to Disney in March.

Last edited:

PJBuckeye

In the Parks
Yes
I am optimistic. Think it can be done with the following...

- Rapid test at bib pick up. Rapid testing should be more available in January.
- More corrals.
- Require masks for first 1/4 mile and immediately after finish line.
- Run through closed parks... shift operating hours until later in the day.

GimpYancIent

I am optimistic. Think it can be done with the following...

- Rapid test at bib pick up. Rapid testing should be more available in January.
- More corrals.
- Require masks for first 1/4 mile and immediately after finish line.
- Run through closed parks... shift operating hours until later in the day.
rD can have their full calendar for 2021 happen. Doom and Gloom people are basking in their fear mongering. There is knowledge now, event protocols have evolved and people have modified their behaviors. Optimism is fully justified.

dreamfinder

runDisney needs to make the decision no later than October. Boston went virtual. If THAT race can do it, this one can.

Which brings up an interesting point. With this and other races being a qualifier for Boston, how will the B.A.A. handle registration for the 2021 race?

The B.A.A. is going to have their hands full for a while. I do believe that people who had qualified for 2020 could defer to another year. I know that at least some of the charities were letting runners defer (they still had to raise the full funds again in 2021). I can't see them dropping the certified time requirement as that would just kill the cache of the race. If they end up limiting the field to allow for more spacing, and then have to handle all the 2020 deferments, I think there will be very few slots open for new people to qualify.

But cases are coming down. Will they still cancel marathon and princess you think?? I am currently watching an Epcot walk through video on YouTube and the announcements about social distancing and face masks and washing your hands, are not even playing, and the video was posted today.

They are definitely still playing the announcements, I keep seeing posts about how it's being updated pretty much weekly to eliminate the loopholes that people are trying to use.

Cases are coming down only because people are following (mostly) guidelines about things like face coverings and social distance. The great unknown is how much did they decrease the field for these races. I'm not sure of the current rules in FL, but around here, races are legit taping off 6ft squares in the start corrals. That would need ALOT of space to handle even half the normal allotment of bibs.

They don't want to cancel, but it will really come down to if they think they can legitimately host a race without putting anyone at risk.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Even with reduced registrations I really don't think Marathon weekend will happen. Disney does NOT want anything possibly traced back to its theme parks or events.

The ONLY thing that may help is that the parks opening later now, and they may even adjust park hours for this specific weekend to allow more waves of runners leaving the corrals to make sure most everyone is out of the parks by the time they open. The full has always gone into park opening time. We'll see I guess

LAKid53

Premium Member
The B.A.A. is going to have their hands full for a while. I do believe that people who had qualified for 2020 could defer to another year. I know that at least some of the charities were letting runners defer (they still had to raise the full funds again in 2021). I can't see them dropping the certified time requirement as that would just kill the cache of the race. If they end up limiting the field to allow for more spacing, and then have to handle all the 2020 deferments, I think there will be very few slots open for new people to qualify.

Just read an update. They've changed how far back a runner can go for submitting a qualifying time - back to 2018. Here's the latest info from B.A.A., for those interested.

LAKid53

Premium Member
The announcement may even come bundled with the dates for the new season of runDisney races to help soften the blow, if it happens.

Unless runDisney changes things, the races weekends should remain the same time frame. SW fluctuates because of Easter.

Surferboy567

Unless runDisney changes things, the races weekends should remain the same time frame. SW fluctuates because of Easter.

I don’t expect the actual announcement of the season to be different.

If marathon goes virtual this would be a way to say look at all we have after type of deal. A way to soften the blow for those who were counting on Marathon being in person. This is all of course if it goes virtual.

Only used as a way to soften the blow.

OG Runner

I am glad I did not sign up for Marathon weekend this year. I was actually there this past January. It would be very disappointing to have
your race go virtual. The Disney Marathon is an event, not just covering 26.2 miles. Paying over $200.00 for a race to get a shirt and medal,
then to run around your neighborhoods would suck. I live in Massachusetts, trust me a virtual run in January is much different than running through the parks in Florida.

Rteetz

I am glad I did not sign up for Marathon weekend this year. I was actually there this past January. It would be very disappointing to have
your race go virtual. The Disney Marathon is an event, not just covering 26.2 miles. Paying over $200.00 for a race to get a shirt and medal,
then to run around your neighborhoods would suck. I live in Massachusetts, trust me a virtual run in January is much different than running through the parks in Florida.
I paid $175 to run 26.2 around my neighborhood in October... It does get me guaranteed entry into NYC though...

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
I paid $175 to run 26.2 around my neighborhood in October... It does get me guaranteed entry into NYC though...
NYC is accepting virtual times to qualify?!? I’ve got no skin in the game and am not planning on trying to do that one any time soon, but surprised they would do that.

dreamfinder

NYC is accepting virtual times to qualify?!? I’ve got no skin in the game and am not planning on trying to do that one any time soon, but surprised they would do that.

Not really. You are essentially paying way to much for a virtual race, and then getting a guaranteed spot (at full price) at a future physical event.
From Runners World -> https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a33302450/2020-virtual-nyc-marathon/
In the top registration tier, runners will get entry to the virtual event, receive virtual marathon training via NYRR Coaching Lab, race swag, a 60-day Strava subscription, and a non-complimentary entry into the 2021, ’22, or ’23 in-person NYC Marathon. There are 1,000 available entries for this top tier, and it is the priciest, going for $150 for NYRR members and $175 for non-members.

The NYC marathon historically had a way in if you didn't qualify. I think they changed it a few years ago, I seem to recall that if you entered 5 or 6 lotteries in a row and weren't selected, you got a guaranteed spot. And if you run 9 NYRR qualifying events, and then volunteer at one, you get a guaranteed in as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom