News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

LittleBuford

It’s less about the exterior, and more about the interior, music, and other thematic touches. I doubt the exterior will change much with the retheme. But the music and interior theming will clash with the rest of Frontierland.

Florida’s Splash doesn’t have bayou interior’s like California does. It has rolling farm lands and abandoned mine shafts. It doesn’t have the jazzy music. PatF is a natural fit at Disneyland because it has bayous and jazz music. The style isn’t changing.

Unless we’re getting Tiana in farm world, with Louis playing the banjo and Naveen on the harmonica, it’s going to be out of place.

We can agree to disagree on this. Southern elements are already very much there in Frontierland (the Country Bears and Tom Sawyer Island being obvious examples), so the geographical argument is not one I find compelling. I fully respect that you feel differently, however.

ETA: And @_caleb’s point in the post just above mine is well taken!

Brer Oswald

We can agree to disagree on this. Southern elements are already very much there in Frontierland (the Country Bears and Tom Sawyer Island being obvious examples), so the geographical argument is not one I find compelling. I fully respect that you feel differently, however.

ETA: And @_caleb’s point in the post just above mine is well taken!
Once again, not arguing geographical on Southern vs West. I’m arguing music and visuals. Music was changed from Jazz to Bluegrass. Likewise, the swampy “bayous” were changed to grassy farmlands, forests, and rustic fences. They were conscious efforts that you aren’t going to get from a clone designed for Disneyland.

Unless they don’t make it into a clone and take the same alterations.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
IMG_20200912_182202_252.jpg
Found this on YT. I would prefer it become Western River Expedition, but all the humans become critters!

Brer Oswald

Yes. If they can come to an agreement with OLC. Which would mean TWDC spending a lot of their own money. Which is doubtful except that Iger has a personal crusade against Song of the South right now like his future presidential career depends on it.
It’s not incredibly likely. Japan loves American culture and cute animals. Not going to get too much into it here, but Song of the South is really only “problematic” in your country.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
I've suggested Western River Expedition for Florida and Princess and the Frog for California.

While Iger is on a personal crusade to destroy that evil Splash Mountain theme, he also struggles to cope with the idea that an all-original attraction can actually work after Expedition Everest.

I really hate to say this but I see Splash being re-themed to live action Mulan over something like Western River Expedition.

owlsandcoffee

Western River Expedition wasn’t a log flume ride (that was a different attraction in the Thunder Mesa complex) and had plenty of elements that would now be considered problematic. If that were the direction it would largely be in name only.

We're getting a little off-topic again but before we get course-corrected by @_caleb again I want to add that a lot of the Indian representations in WRE were scaled down by Marc Davis when attempting to get Disney to commit to it. Most of the ride in its final iteration was basically just cowboys doin cowboy stuff.

_caleb

We're getting a little off-topic again but before we get course-corrected by @_caleb again I want to add that a lot of the Indian representations in WRE were scaled down by Marc Davis when attempting to get Disney to commit to it. Most of the ride in its final iteration was basically just cowboys doin cowboy stuff.
Great. Now I have the reputation of being the off-topic police! Does this position come with a badge or sash or something?

Brer Oswald

I don’t think the solution is to remove the Native American representation, but to make it more respectful and accurate.

RSoxNo1

Western River Expedition wasn’t a log flume ride (that was a different attraction in the Thunder Mesa complex) and had plenty of elements that would now be considered problematic. If that were the direction it would largely be in name only.
Right, it wouldn't be the originally conceived Western River Expedition. I'm sure there had that been built it would have also been something hit with changes as our perspectives of cultural representations evolve and become better informed.

Having said that, the original conceit of Western River Expedition could work as a concept and a replacement for Splash Mountain.

Brer Oswald

Right, it wouldn't be the originally conceived Western River Expedition. I'm sure there had that been built it would have also been something hit with changes as our perspectives of cultural representations evolve and become better informed.

Having said that, the original conceit of Western River Expedition could work as a concept and a replacement for Splash Mountain.
Its off limits. It was once culturally problematic, and cannot be changed or redeemed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom