Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

Notes from Neverland

Crowding is an issue beyond just the corrals and finish line. The 2019 Star Wars run was congested throughout the majority of the course. Maybe if you start in an early corral it's not bad, but starting in F or further back was a very crowded experience where social distancing is extremely difficult on the course.

GimpYancIent

Crowding is an issue beyond just the corrals and finish line. The 2019 Star Wars run was congested throughout the majority of the course. Maybe if you start in an early corral it's not bad, but starting in F or further back was a very crowded experience where social distancing is extremely difficult on the course.
I did the 2019 Kessel Run Challenge that included the Rival Run Challenge I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Doing the courses at WDW I will agree there were a few spots where space was less than the prescribed social distancing guidelines. That said I did not find the courses congested but rather found the participants giving each other plenty of elbow room. With current protocols and some modified guidelines for the participants, due to the time frame the events occur plus the now lower amount of participants, Oh Yea!, I definitely see rD pulling this off. Of course there are always people that call athletic event participants crazy or stupid, well, that is their opinion and they are welcome to it. Reality is outdoor athletic events can be done safely.

surfsupdon

That was THAT specific course. The majority of the 5K and 10K is in Epcot parking and the wide promenade around World Showcase and the wide loop around Crescent Lake. The Half majority is run north and south on World Drive. Pinch point is the castle. So eliminate that point and continue running through Fland to Liberty Square then to Frontier. The marathon is mostly on wide roads too. Again, adjust the castle portion but all other theme park areas are wide. The boardwalk canal is another pinch point....let runners also run the paved service road that runs along the canal as well.
Disney can adjust their course on their property. I do not think they need to, but they can if they think they need to.

Rteetz

I think it’s doubtful, but not out of the question. It’s likely they had already accepted not making any money, since they decided to severely limit the field before opening registration.
These days when it comes to runDisney it’s essentially a loss leader. They don’t make much on the races themselves. They make money on merch sales, hotels, and park tickets. A lot of runners don’t come by themselves. They bring their families and make a full vacation out of it.

Rteetz

There’s absolutely no way they will hold an in person race in January. You cannot properly space people out before and especially during the race. The marathons only logistically work with people being in close contact and financially I doubt Disney would recoup the money needed to both staff as well as modify it.
Obviously smaller but still a pretty significant race. Space coast is moving forward in November. There are ways to do it.

Greenlawler

I don't want to be a wet blanket but I cannot help but think this race is going to virtual.

And I think with a race of this magnitude, where folks have to make international plans, they really need to make the call sooner than later.

Either say "we are going through with it", or make it virtual, now.

Last edited:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I think that decision is coming but they are going to wait as long as they possibly can.

runDisney needs to make the decision no later than October. Boston went virtual. If THAT race can do it, this one can.

Which brings up an interesting point. With this and other races being a qualifier for Boston, how will the B.A.A. handle registration for the 2021 race?

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Based on timelines for last year we should have already had the medal announcement and seen postings for volentEARS and medical staff for the Marathon Weekend races, I know they REALLY limited registration for Dopey this year but I wondered if any of our insiders had heard any race go/no go rumblings.

This thread has NOTHING to do with the fact that if it’s cancelled, I can stop training and rewatch Gravity Falls on Disney+ instead.

We're discussing it here: https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/walt-disney-world-marathon-weekend.786230/

Rteetz

runDisney needs to make the decision no later than October. Boston went virtual. If THAT race can do it, this one can.

Which brings up an interesting point. With this and other races being a qualifier for Boston, how will the B.A.A. handle registration for the 2021 race?
Boston is already delaying registration for 2021. World majors are going to be very hard to pull off. 10s of thousands of people. Boston is a holiday for that area too.

Rteetz

To really kick off the new year and expand the opportunity to participate for those that can not travel (for whatever reason) why can't rD have the actual live event at WDW plus have a virtual version simultaneously.
I’d have to imagine lots of options are being discussed.

Rose&Crown

Starting to think this gets cancelled and moved to virtual. It’s just crazy to me they charge the same amount for virtual.

I’d just get a refund like to did for wine and dine.

Greenlawler

So I have searched the other threads for info and I cant find it.

So how exactly would the races be handled if they go virtual? Do we have to provide some proof of time for each event?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom