Can the East Coast Marvel Problem Really Be Solved? (Discussion)

UNCgolf

Many WDW fans have the means to do so, but don't out of stubborn habit. They'll go to WDW multiple times a year and then complain when other Disney resorts get rides they want to try.

Well, then make the effort. The difference in distance between Orlando and Anaheim from where many WDW fans live is greatly exaggerated.

I think it's less about distance and more about time (in several different ways). Most people can probably do everything they'd want to do at Disneyland/DCA in 3 days; it's much easier to spend a week at WDW (especially if you're going to go to Universal as well). There's also a large population that can easily drive to WDW (Georgia and North Carolina especially) which is both easier and cheaper than flying.

Of course there's also numerous things to do in Los Angeles that aren't related to theme parks, but that can cut both ways. I assume there are some people who just want to head into a theme park bubble and not venture outside of that/aren't interested in the other things LA offers. Personally, although I want to visit Disneyland eventually, there are so many other things in LA that interest me that I have not yet made it to Disneyland while out there (i.e. I'm the opposite).

champdisney

They have to be based off the comic versions.
Except they’re not. Many of the depictions are rooted in the animated television shows of the 90s. The language is that they must conform to the style guides and character designs have changed.

Do you fellas recall the time that a few insiders on here had claimed that Universal was in the process of developing a huge Avengers attraction for IOA? The attraction was to feature the MCU versions of the characters, which in turn, would lead Universal to give Marvel Island - an MCU inspired facelift?

Is it safe to assume that these guys were completely wrong... because they’re still on here spreading “insider” info. Although, their credibility has long been lost in my eyes.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Do you fellas recall the time that a few insiders on here had claimed that Universal was in the process of developing a huge Avengers attraction for IOA? The attraction was to feature the MCU versions of the characters, which in turn, would lead Universal to give Marvel Island - an MCU inspired facelift?

Is it safe to assume that these guys were completely wrong...
They weren’t. Not about developing the ride anyway.

champdisney

No, they weren’t. The ride system wasn’t viable - as discussed.
Let’s be honest with ourselves. Disney would have not allowed it. Period.

Universal has done their part keeping Spider-Man and Hulk up to date with their refurbs and redos. Then again, it is a must for Universal to do so if they do not wish to get penalized by Disney for breaking any of the contractual agreements.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Let’s be honest with ourselves. Disney would have not allowed it. Period.

Universal has done their part keeping Spider-Man and Hulk up to date with their refurbs and redos. Then again, it is a must for Universal to do so if they do not wish to get penalized by Disney for breaking any of the contractual agreements.
The proposal was permitted under the agreement.

It doesn’t bother me what you believe. But I will set the record straight. I know enough people to be able to do that.

DVCakaCarlF

So, ultimately, why doesn’t UO slap one in the face of WDW and build a Marvel whatever (ride, pavilion, restaurant, etc) and make the $$$$$.

Are they just interested in the merch? Seems underdeveloped for such an exclusive right.

Also, is there an expiration to the contract?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Uninversal has something Disney really wants. Why would they ever give it to them? Honestly, even if they just sit on the rights, why would they facilitate Disney getting it back?

Honestly, the more Disney fans want the rights back, the less likely Universal would be to cooperate.

Bottom line is that there is no Marvel problem in Universal's eyes.
Exactly...fundamentally flawed to think that Comcast or Disney is really stressing this.
Part of me wishes Universal would give up the rights, so Disney could do more with the characters than 90's interpretations of 90's comic book material. On the other hand, as soon as Disney gets the rights, Marvel characters will be shoe-horned in all over WDW, and I don't want that either.

It's weird to think that Marvel Superhero Island predates Marvel being anything other than a niche interest for kids and mega-nerds.
There’s little incentive for Disney to spend $3 bil in capex to build new rides based on those characters. It would provide little foot traffics expenditures beyond what they will get anyway in comparison.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So, ultimately, why doesn’t UO slap one in the face of WDW and build a Marvel whatever (ride, pavilion, restaurant, etc) and make the $$$$$.

Are they just interested in the merch? Seems underdeveloped for such an exclusive right.

Also, is there an expiration to the contract?
Disney would have control/approval over whatever they tried to build...just as marvel had say when blackstone/universal built IOA.

Its a stalemate on both sides

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom