Trip Report Step Right UP! for the Main Event. Did we Blow Niece and Nephews Minds on their Very First Trip to the World?

As Many of you know, We are on a multi year project. This project is to make sure our 4 Niece and nephews get to see the world. For many years, they have been told " you will get to go to Disney" and it never happened for one reason or another. Finally we were in a spot financially, that we could do it. Lets just say this was a very special trip for all of us, not just to see it through the eyes of a first timer, but due to restrictions etc. We will get into that much more later, on why i feel that this may of been my best Disney experience yet. On this trip we had My oldest niece at 17 years, and about to graduate in 2021. and my oldest nephew at 13. They have heard of our trips, seen some photos, but never got to go for one reason or another.

We live in Tennessee, and they live in Maine. If you read my Pre Trip, nothing went to plan on this one ha! There was covid, then my wife's Nana passed away, and the kids came to stay with us far longer than we had originally anticipated, so it made the big countdown actually better, as they were here with us from June, through now. They will go home this weekend, When my daughter goes home to visit family for her birthday.

To say they were excited doesn't even begin to describe it, as they got to be with us through all the final planning, final shopping, and watching our favourite podcaster weekly.

The time finally came, and we were to get on the road! Where we are about 11 to 11 hours with the time change back to EST away we tend to leave pretty early to get settled on arrival day. MY daughter and her fiancee had come over earlier on Saturday and got settled ,as they would be here to watch the dogs, and feed the fish and keep the pool going etc. Wheels up was to be 12:00 AM CST Sunday the 9th. I took a quick nap, as i am the driver, and we got on the road about 11:45 CSt on saturday, and got the wheels on the truck rolling Mouse Bound.

My Nephew had found this cheesy joke card deck on one of our prior adventures this summer, and kept them aside for the ride to keep me awake. This really did help, and the 4 of us laughed and Laughed the whole way through the night.

We do our best to avoid Atlanta, so we go down through Alabama, then in through the panhandle over to where I 10 meets 75, and go in that way. it adds just a few minutes to the drive, and honestly to not deal with Atlanta is nice.

We took our truck this time for the extra room for cargo, and room for people, so it was a new experience from the beginning as we had no idea how many miles to the tank we would get, and how many stops we would have to make. Turns out y thoughts of at least 300 miles per tank was spot on, and could likely do 350 before we have to really get gas. We timed it so we could stop and get breakfast one one stop, so we don't loose too much time. All in all we lost about 15 minutes total in food and gas stops.

On this trip one of the changes was our Hotel. We were booked at ASM family Suites, and well Thanks to Covid, they did not open that resort. Disney stepped up and delivered the upgrade of a lifetime. We got moved to Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village, in a 2 bedroom Villa!!

We had not told the kids where we were staying for the ultimate surprise, but the GPS as we got there, ruined part of it, but they were still super surprised once we got to our room.

Our room ready text had come while we were still a couple hours out, which was super nice so we could get unpacked before we went to the pool for some lunch and some relaxation. We always spend the day at the resort on arrival day, as after driving all day i cant enjoy a park day.

Once we found parking, and a map to our room, we headed up stairs. We were in The Timon Section, 3rd floor, literally on top of the bus stops, but we drove all week, as it was just easier. More on that to come. Here are some photos i took of our home for the week. First silver lining of a Covid world was this amazing upgrade!
IMG_20200809_115901.jpg
IMG_20200809_114504.jpg
IMG_20200809_114713.jpg
IMG_20200809_114723.jpg
IMG_20200809_115915.jpg
IMG_20200809_121214.jpg
IMG_20200809_120522.jpg
IMG_20200809_115919.jpg

We were a standard view, and had asked to be as close to a Savannah view as possible. We had a great viewing window right outside our door, to the left, and got to walk by it any time we went anywhere. Ive got some great photos to come of that for sure.

My nephew said " this is already more than i expected" and this was just the suite. We had not gone to view the Savannah, or gone to the pool yet. That would be next.

Being an arrival day, we unpacked out suitcases into the dressers, and got situated for the week. Next up we were off to view the Savannah, hit the pool, and relax before we went to the springs for our first dining reservation of this trip.

Mainahman

Original Poster
Alright! Lets get back to it! Park Day 3 was Hollywood Studios! What kind of trouble will we get in on this day?
IMG_20200812_100408.jpg

The original plan was to get in, see if i could get a boarding group and then hit Runaway Railway before it got too bad... FAIL!! it was already 45 mins, when we got in the park, and i didnt get a boarding group from the 10 oclock try. On top of that after that lightning incident earlier in the week, i didnt have a good source it was even running.
Sooo... We headed for Sunset and figured we would grab Tower of Terror.
IMG_20200812_100810.jpg

We got in line as it was maybe a 20 minute wait... or was it???

IMG_20200812_101107.jpg

IT was not! They announced that one tower was having issues, so we decided to bail and head off to do other things. We had a 11:45 or so ADR for lunch so we didnt want to waste too much time.

We decided on a Star Wars Adventure, as there was no wait, and we would be in the general area of lunch.
IMG_20200812_103807.jpg
IMG_20200812_103900.jpg

Had a blast as always!

Love this ride. It reminds me of my very first trip being stuck in the gift shop due to a florida storm and park flooding.

IMG_20200812_105654.jpg

Next up.. is it even a trip to the studios without the Muppets??

IMG_20200812_105951.jpg
IMG_20200812_110021.jpg
IMG_20200812_112221.jpg

I know its dated, i know its old, but its classic muppets. As a Big muppet fan, and even deeper, a Henson and company fan.... this always hits me in the feels. Frank oz and Jim Henson makes me happy!

After this there was not much of a wait before it was time to to lunch, so we headed across the way to the Sci Fi Dine in.
IMG_20200812_112753.jpg

Now I do not have a a lot to say about this, other than its cool, but we wont do it again. We found it too dark to really be comfortable eating, the cars are not the most comfortable thing. The experience is good, but we like to see our food. We booked this for my nephew, and he was happy. To us that is all that matters, but it will be 50s prime time next round.

Mainahman

Original Poster
After a lunch refuel stop, we headed for toy story land, but took a AC break on the way, and hit up the galleries of One Mans Dream.. Man i could spend all day in here!

IMG_20200812_123728.jpg
IMG_20200812_123739.jpg
IMG_20200812_123828.jpg
IMG_20200812_123840.jpg

I have to say my favorite model has to be the Jungle Cruise. They are all so well done!

We got a bit recharged and it was off to Toy Story Land!
IMG_20200812_124222.jpg

Howdy toys! First stop was of course Toy Story Mania! Its our favorite!
IMG_20200812_124434.jpg
IMG_20200812_124419.jpg

I was having a horrible week with scores, and lost to my neice again. My accuracy was pretty good, but i just had a bad week when it came to points. Still a blast though, and one of our favourite things to do in the park.

After this, we got some drinks to stay hydrated, and headed for Alien Swirling Saucers. It was like a 5 minute wait, and the breeze always feels good!
IMG_20200812_131130.jpg

IMG_20200812_131622.jpg

My Nephew rode with my wife, and I rode with my Niece. We tried to mix it up so we all got ride time with each of em depending on who went on what.
IMG_20200812_131939.jpg

Mainahman

Original Poster
After Our Alien Abduction was over, it was time to do something i had not done yet.. I had never gotten Slinky dog! Last trip was so short, i chose to ride the brand new Smugglers Run over it... This round it was time!

IMG_20200812_133700.jpg

The wait was like 30, so we gave it a shot.
IMG_20200812_134517_1.jpg

IMG_20200812_140159.jpg

Now the 2 oclock window was getting closer to see if we could get a boarding pass for Rise of the Resistance. I would of been happy to just get one on this trip, even if we didnt ride it... I tried and tried and tried, along with everyone else waiting in the queue... I ended up getting one! I got backup group 74, which pretty much meant if they had time we would get to ride.

Mission Accomplished for that portion, now for Slinky!
bfa45f42-0740-4dec-adf7-5b2d4dda861b.jpg

What a fun little coaster! We got twords the back, so the airtime hills really hit you. I really enjoyed this one! Will do again!

Once we got off slinky, we met up with my wife, and blasted off to another galaxy far far away... It was time to enter Galaxies edge!

We headed for the Falcon, and Smugglers run. My niece needed a break, as the airtime hills made her lunch in her tummy a bit upset, so i went alone with my Nephew.
IMG_20200812_142036.jpg

IMG_20200812_142322.jpg

IMG_20200812_142621.jpg

Every time im here, i cant get over how beautiful this ride is.
IMG_20200812_145225.jpg

Its time to go!

IMG_20200812_145910.jpg

We both were pilots as we had the car to our selves because of covid... Considering the rest of our queue did not exist... we fared halfway decently.
IMG_20200812_145928.jpg

Mainahman

Original Poster
I Checked my phone as we got off, and Rise seemed to be running, which i thought was crazy, considering that it had been struck by lightning 2 days ago, but congrats Disney for getting it all fixed up. Still wasnt our turn, and to be honest i wasnt sure it ever would be, and i had come to terms with that.

Nephew decided he wanted to try Blue milk, so i mobile ordered him some. It was a big nope from me.... too hot for that...

IMG_20200812_150522.jpg

We decided to hit up Toy Story Land again, and grab another ride on Toy Story Mania, on our way back to sunset to get Tower and Rockin Roller Coaster.

IMG_20200812_152547.jpg

Remember when this was the attraction that caused all the long lines? Man how things have changed!

Had a blast again, and headed for Sunset.

There looked to be a storm rolling in.. We were not complaining, as the Rain would of felt good....

My nephew wont do upside down roller coasters, So my Niece and I got in line for Rockin Rollercoaster... Another first for me. I had never done it as it was a long line, and i wasnt going to do it alone.

IMG_20200812_155505.jpg
db13c60e-56df-4585-bcda-e2a22350624e.jpg

The Launch took my breath away, but after that it wasnt as bad as I thought.

After this, we grabbed my Nephew and headed to Tower of Terror. Now i have a love hate relationship with it. I am not a fan of drop rides, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE the story, and all the show before they drop you. So lets say i tolerate the drops for that...

ha!

IMG_20200812_170715.jpg

After this we grabbed some chicken nugget fuel at one of the stands on sunset and planned our next attack.

Looking at waits, Runaway Railway wasnt too bad, and its the one thing in this park my wife was really looking forward to, so we headed that way!

IMG_20200812_175355.jpg
IMG_20200812_180045.jpg
IMG_20200812_180728.jpg
IMG_20200812_180757.jpg
IMG_20200812_180805.jpg

WOW!!! What a ride! I had avoided all spoilers and ride throughs... It was a bran new experience. What a ride! This may become a new family favorite.

When we got off, we noticed how short the lines were, so we said " we have time why not go again" The wait times were much higher than they actually were to get through. I never waited a whole 30 minutes.....

Mainahman

Original Poster
The day was getting short for park hours, so we had come to terms what we would not get to ride Rise this trip, so decided we would head back to Toy Story Land one more time, and get Mania, and maybe one more ride on Slinky before heading back to Kidani..

Well this is where the world changed!

We hit the bathroom on the way, and i looked at my phone as we were leaving... Our boarding group had been called!! OUR BOARDING GROUP HAD BEEN CALLED!!! WE WERE GOING TO RIDE RISE OF THE RESISTANCE!!!!

We had about 30 minutes to get there, so we headed there, and got in line. We had exactly enough time to get this in, and maybe a ride one one more attraction before we left, so I was in heaven!
IMG_20200812_191251.jpg

The queue for this attraction was amazing! Good news too! We got all the pre shows, and the operators were in full character. i tried to get my nephew in trouble, but they thought he was just a dumb rebel spy..

IMG_20200812_193529.jpg
IMG_20200812_193531.jpg

I cant explain it! We all went on this together, and my mind was blown! It likely made my trip getting this done. Rise lives up to the hype for me. I could do it over and over. Such amazing technology, Everything was spot on!!

After this The kids wanted to go on tower of terror one more time. I declined, as i wanted Rise to be the cap to my day. They just made it into the queue before they stopped taking people due to park close.
ef72190d-296c-4aab-826a-ea16b0ce8952.jpg

I love the Tower at Night. So scary!!!!

IMG_20200812_202250.jpg

We took our time heading to the exit after they got off, and just enjoyed the neon of hollywood.

IMG_20200812_202832.jpg

Good Night Hollywood Studios!!!

We headed back to Kidani, got our feet soaked in the tub, and were off to bed, Animal Kingdom was next, and would be an early morning.

Attachments

• IMG_20200812_202359.jpg
    IMG_20200812_202359.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 108

slipperalwaysfits

Next up.. is it even a trip to the studios without the Muppets??

No, it is not a trip to the Studios without the Muppets! I am so glad they've never taken this ride away! I fear it's on borrowed time, but I sure hope not!

The experience is good, but we like to see our food. We booked this for my nephew, and he was happy. To us that is all that matters, but it will be 50s prime time next round.

I'm glad your nephew enjoyed it. :geek: :jawdrop: I can understand how a darkened eating experience wouldn't be very fun. We've eaten at the Sci-Fi several times and prefer it over 50's, I think mainly for the menu choices, although I enjoy the Sci-Fi atmosphere.

we headed for toy story land, but took a AC break on the way, and hit up the galleries of One Mans Dream.. Man i could spend all day in here!

We absolutely LOVE One Man's Dream and how much info it gives about Walt's life and the creation of Disneyland/World. If any of you are ever headed to Disneyland, add on a couple days and go to the Walt Disney Family Museum in San Francisco. Diane Disney Miller founded it and it's an incredible homage to Walt and what he created and how his dreams came to life. My husband and I actually spent: 8.5 hours in there, and that wasn't enough for hubby! It's impressive and there's SO MUCH to see that it's worth a whole day.

The Launch took my breath away, but after that it wasnt as bad as I thought.

So glad you went on RnRC!!! Launches freak me out, too! I hope I'm brave enough to do it this time! I struggled last trip but have been on it 7 times before so I KNOW I can do it again!

We hit the bathroom on the way, and i looked at my phone as we were leaving... Our boarding group had been called!! OUR BOARDING GROUP HAD BEEN CALLED!!! WE WERE GOING TO RIDE RISE OF THE RESISTANCE!!!!

I feel like it's these little things that make the Disney magic! When it's something you aren't expecting or had given up on. The best and hardest part of the trips is to go into them without any expectations, then you'll be pleasantly surprised!!

Mainahman

Original Poster
No, it is not a trip to the Studios without the Muppets! I am so glad they've never taken this ride away! I fear it's on borrowed time, but I sure hope not!

I'm glad your nephew enjoyed it. :geek: :jawdrop: I can understand how a darkened eating experience wouldn't be very fun. We've eaten at the Sci-Fi several times and prefer it over 50's, I think mainly for the menu choices, although I enjoy the Sci-Fi atmosphere.

We absolutely LOVE One Man's Dream and how much info it gives about Walt's life and the creation of Disneyland/World. If any of you are ever headed to Disneyland, add on a couple days and go to the Walt Disney Family Museum in San Francisco. Diane Disney Miller founded it and it's an incredible homage to Walt and what he created and how his dreams came to life. My husband and I actually spent: 8.5 hours in there, and that wasn't enough for hubby! It's impressive and there's SO MUCH to see that it's worth a whole day.

So glad you went on RnRC!!! Launches freak me out, too! I hope I'm brave enough to do it this time! I struggled last trip but have been on it 7 times before so I KNOW I can do it again!

I feel like it's these little things that make the Disney magic! When it's something you aren't expecting or had given up on. The best and hardest part of the trips is to go into them without any expectations, then you'll be pleasantly surprised!!
Amen to all of this! I want to get out to Disneyland! Its on the bucket list. WIfe and I have been looking at that adventures by disney disneyland one that takes you to muppet studios too... like did they make this trip just for me? I cant tell you the joy i had when i saw that boarding group called, and it was a backup at that!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom