Trip Report Mask up for the August Alternate 2020 Trip

Hello friends! My husband and I just got back about a week ago from our WDW trip, it was strange, hot, fun, and in a way unexpected. I'll start with some quick details:

Who: Me (Am) and my husband (Brad)
When: August 6-20, 2020
Resort: Pop Century (was scheduled for All Star Sports)

Let me explain my title a little: We were scheduled to travel to WDW in June the 21st through July 5. It was going to be epic.....we would be there over our birthdays, 15th wedding anniversary, and had a couple of Magic meetups planned. That trip didn't happen. While planning our trips at home I always come up with some sort of title for our trips to give it a little excitement. Well, shortly after the shut down in March, about 2 weeks after the parks closed I had a feeling that my June trip wouldn't happen so hubs and I looked at the calendar and figured out a date when we could go to WDW, we had to plan around some of his church activities (all got cancelled) and a girls trip to California for me (cancelled too). So in late March I booked a two week stay at the Sports. But all while planning including the frustrating day in June to get park reservations and the day I cancelled June/July I was never able to build up much excitement for this August trip. So I always stayed labeled in my planning things as the August Alternate trip, how generic! So I had hope that the trip would happen but I was convinced something would happen and we wouldn't be able to go.

Fast forward to the first week of August, days before leaving. I get an email from my boss (principal) asking what my travel dates to Florida were so they could be consistent on teachers traveling and returning back to work. My return date was 4 days before I would start back to work for inservice so no time to quarantine if he asked me to! Ugh! I couldn't lie to my boss and I couldn't ignore his email. Well he didn't ask me to quarantine but he did ask that I get a Covid test upon my return and then quarantine if needed or until my results came back. He asked if I wanted to come in an work a day so that if something happened I would have had time to work to get my classroom ready and he said I could bank it as a day worked so I wouldn't have to use a day if I did quarantine. So that's what I did. In a way it was surreal to be back working in my room, which was the day before we left for WDW. As I was working in my room that day I had a flash, the last day I worked a full day in my classroom was before I went to WDW in March! Whoa! So with a fully day of work banked, suitcases packed, it looked like our Alternate trip was really happening!

*Spoiler alert: my Covid test came back negative, it was probably too early to take it when I came back but it satisfied my boss. Also neither of us have had any symptoms of Covid upon return so looks like we might have stayed safe.

Okay, let's begin......

August 6, 2020

Our flight out of Minneapolis left at 8:20 am so our plan was to wake up around 4 am get ready and drive to the airport. Who sleeps before a trip! We were up around 3am but we didn't leave until around 4:15am. I got a great parking deal at a Park n Fly for our two week park that was like $7 a day so much cheaper than the small airport lot at $15 a day! Does anyone remember the old WDW information station that used to play the song "I'm Going to Disney World"? I have that song and usually play it on the way to the airport and I played it as we pulled into the Park N Fly lot. I didn't play it before I didn't want to jinx us!

The airport was really strange, usually it is such a hub bub of activity but today it was so strange because there weren't many people. Security was a walk up and we were through in less than 2 minutes! We got breakfast at the Caribou Coffee near our gate and spent time just relaxing in our masks waiting. Our flight was on Delta and they did a great job on the flight. When we boarded we were handed wipes to wipe our area, they reminded people about masks, and during flight we were handed a snack pack in a plastic bag with water,chocolate covered pretzels, cheez-its, napkin and hand sanitizer. The middle seat was empty so we had our own row and Brad watched Star Wars something and I watched the Downton Abbey movie (I'd rewatched the series before leaving so this pleased me to rewatch movie too).

The airport in Minneapolis.
IMG_5058.JPG

Flights on time, and plane is here! It's happening! It's really happening!
IMG_5059.JPG

Waiting at the gate
IMG_5060.JPG

On the plane, looking out! Different from my last flight in March. No snow on the ground this time!
IMG_5062.JPG

Ready for flight!
IMG_5063.JPG

IMG_5064.JPG

And we've made it to Orlando!!! Again the airport was pretty empty and we had to retrieve our own luggage this time.
IMG_5065.JPG

And here we are at Magical Express, not too many people in line. I think when we came in March this is where we started our line up to check in.
IMG_5066.JPG

IMG_5067.JPG

There was a sign that said our wait could be an hour and the ME agent said that too but from check in to the bus pulling away it was less than 20 minutes which is shorter than some of the pre-Covid trips we have had.
IMG_5068.JPG

Coming up: arrival at WDW and will there be tears?

coachwnh

The Blood Orange Cider got a good review @coachwnh in his trip report so I was game to try it. Sorry Coach, I thought it was pretty bad.
Sorry you didn't like it. But you drank it 🍻! I really enjoy Stone brewing. The Stone Delicious IPA is actually a gluten reduced beer. Could explain the off IPA taste. Its a solid IPA if you are a celiac like my wife.

Rista1313

B was feeling fiesty and I finally got a picture of him without his had telling me I was number one. He's enjoying his double scotch and soda, his new rum and coke (flash back for past readers). We also got the charchutterie but we don't care for blue cheese and they happily subbed it out with an extra goat cheese....nice!
IMG_5473.JPG

You can really tell that brad has lost a bunch of weight in this picture! No more rum and cokes =( booo

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Sorry you didn't like it. But you drank it 🍻! I really enjoy Stone brewing. The Stone Delicious IPA is actually a gluten reduced beer. Could explain the off IPA taste. Its a solid IPA if you are a celiac like my wife.

Yeah Stone was tasty, I have really been on a hazy IPA kick this summer though so I enjoyed that a lot. I’m glad I tried the cider though, it’s good to try new things. 🙂

fractal

August 8, 2020

Hello R3X, we'll see you later at Oga's!
View attachment 494578

After Star Tours we headed for Baseline Taphouse and it was a popular place but we found a spot to sit outside. I really love this place it makes me feel very chill. We also got a bit buzzed by our drinks.
View attachment 494579

I know the beers I got were the Hefeweizen (yum), Hazy Little Thing IPA (I love me a hazy IPA!), Stone Delicious IPA (good, not a favorite), and the Blood Orange Cider. The Blood Orange Cider got a good review @coachwnh in his trip report so I was game to try it. Sorry Coach, I thought it was pretty bad. I will say that I am not a cider fan but I do like orange flavors but still....I drank it down as quick as I could (because I'm from Wisconsin and we don't waste beer or liquor here) and enjoyed the rest of the beers.
View attachment 494580

We got the pretzel....yum! Hubs loves the mustard and I love the cheese so we don't fight over the condiments.
View attachment 494581

B was feeling fiesty and I finally got a picture of him without his had telling me I was number one. He's enjoying his double scotch and soda, his new rum and coke (flash back for past readers). We also got the charchutterie but we don't care for blue cheese and they happily subbed it out with an extra goat cheese....nice!
View attachment 494582

View from the Baseline.
View attachment 494583

And back into Galaxy's Edge to bum around and do Smuggler's Run.
View attachment 494584

We ran into Vi on the run from the troopers. It was fun to see the characters out in SWGE still.
View attachment 494585

As we came upon the Falcon it was so strange to see Galaxy's Edge so empty, we hadn't seen SWGE this empty since our reservation day shortly after it opened at Disneyland and even then it wasn't as empty. Again so cool to experience but sad too.
View attachment 494587View attachment 494588

I was also a fan of the Hefeweizen and the pretzel. Brad looking good!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
My jaw hit the floor!! When you said "who's number 1" my first thought was NOoooooo not Brad but then I didn't see birds flying around and then I saw the 1 on the bus seat.

You totally tricked me on this one.

Oh he totally let me know about me being number one at the Baseline. I took quite a few pictures of him with his scotch before he finally put his finger down! :)

Minnesota disney fan

LOL, lots of laughs from this report 😁 when we really need it!
I just love how Brad has a huge smile on his face (when we can see it) while at GE. You can tell he is living out his fantasy and loving every minute of it, and that's so great to see!
It does really look so strange to be so empty! I confess I would like to be there while the crowds are down, but can't justify it at this time. But, who knows? I am getting weaker and weaker (probably from the force, LOL)

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
LOL, lots of laughs from this report 😁 when we really need it!
I just love how Brad has a huge smile on his face (when we can see it) while at GE. You can tell he is living out his fantasy and loving every minute of it, and that's so great to see!
It does really look so strange to be so empty! I confess I would like to be there while the crowds are down, but can't justify it at this time. But, who knows? I am getting weaker and weaker (probably from the force, LOL)

I'm glad I can provide some laughs! He really does love it in SWGE, it is fun to watch him in person. May the force be with you!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
August 8, 2020

We went for a flight on the Falcon and were pilots of course! We took turns in the Chewie and Han seat and B got the Chewie side this time so he could pull the lever for light speed. It was still pretty empty in the SWGE area so a picture session was had before going to Toy Storyland for slinky dog which we never rode at all in March so we made it a point to get over there today.
IMG_5489.JPG
IMG_5490.JPG
IMG_5494.JPG

In Disneyland this view has the tip of Big Thunder Mt in it, no BTMR here.
IMG_5495.JPG
IMG_5497.JPG
IMG_5502.JPG
IMG_5508.JPG
IMG_5510.JPG
IMG_5512.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
August 8, 2020

What time was it now?! It was Oga's Cantina time! We were seated at the bar in actual seats so that was cool. Brad got the Skyhopper (tasty) and the Bezpin Fizz. I got the Gold Squadron and the White Wampa. The Gold was may favorite of the two. I've had them before but I can't remember which one is best but now I keep telling myself so I will remember. Then we caught up with some Storm Troopers but no Kylo.
IMG_5515.JPG
IMG_5516.JPG
IMG_5519.JPG
IMG_5527.JPG

IMG_5529.JPG

I might actually be looking at the right spot this time, but I'm too squinty to tell. Will there be a decent selfie this trip?!
IMG_5530.JPG

slipperalwaysfits

I was the first one let through the turnstiles (but others were close behind) and it was fun to walk through the tunnel as the first one. There weren't any free flowing tears but I got a bit misty

What a fun feeling!!

Not too busy. Apparently my sister in niece were in the carousel line and tried to get our attention but we didn't see them. I rarely notice people when I'm out and about, especially at Disney, I get wrapped up in my own little world. So if you ever see me please don't think I'm ignoring you just yell really loud!

That is CRAZY that your sister and niece were there at the same time! Did you know they would be? Looks like you had a great time in HS and MK! I love WtP, too!!

We've been meaning to try Baseline for several visits and haven't gotten to it yet, hopefully this year!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
August 8, 2020

We left SWGE and headed into Toy Story and swirled on Alien Swirling Saucers, we decided to ride together and it was a little more fun as we would bump into each other. Next up Mania and I think I won this round, it seems like every other round we trade off. I really need a solo trip again to hone my skills so I can crush him again. We aren't competitive or anything.;)

IMG_5532.JPG

IMG_5533.JPG
IMG_5534.JPG
IMG_5535.JPG

Action shot!
IMG_5537.JPG

We went into the Walt Disney Presents area because they were actually showing One Man's Dream and not some stupid movie preview. We weren't taking a break back at the resort today so I figured B needed a quick nap during the show, and he did. I think I was the only one in the theater that was super excited for the show as I was the only one that clapped.
IMG_5538.JPG

I can kind of see through my sunglasses that I might actually be looking at the camera.
IMG_5539.JPG

This summer at the end of June when we should have been in WDW B and I took an epic ONE day road trip to Marceline MO. Turns out it is about 7 hours from our town. We wanted to go somewhere and we have talked about going to Marcelline and Kansas City for a Disney tour (BBQ for Brad). I had a whole 4 day getaway planned and then we both kind of said at the same time that since Covid cases were going up at the time in Missouri/Kansas that we didn't feel comfortable yet doing a lot of touring and staying in a hotel. But we wanted to do something.

So I proposed a one day car trip to Marceline. From everything I read it seemed like the Walt Disney Hometown Museum took an hour or two at most to tour and it was just the Barn and a few sites around Marceline. We could do it in one day and be limiting exposure. We left at about 3:30am and returned home around 11:30-11:45pm that night. It was a lot of car time but we had a good time together and seeing Marceline was a really cool way to connect to Disney. The museum is very interesting and the staff was super friendly there. Turns out we weren't the only family that had their WDW plans derailed and ended up in Marceline either! So what's the point of this story Amy....well at WDW was this nice little display abour Marceline and Main Street on Disneyland. And while we were in Marceline we could see some influences between the DL Main Street and this one. The Coke Corner in DL is really influenced by a store in Marceline. I guess if there is any interest I could post a few Marceline pictures.
IMG_5540.JPG

Oh poor Disneyland....I wish you were open too (because then I could have visited you in July....)
IMG_5542.JPG

Songbird76

My jaw hit the floor!! When you said "who's number 1" my first thought was NOoooooo not Brad but then I didn't see birds flying around and then I saw the 1 on the bus seat.

You totally tricked me on this one.
ME TOO!! It took me a minute to figure out the 1 was in reference to the seat number!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
August 8, 2020

Finally we made it to Sunset Blvd and as walked towards the Tower of Terror we noticed that the Society Orchestra was going to be starting soon so we headed in. We really should have stopped and gotten a bottle of water first but we survived. And the show was good! We enjoy live music like this and really appreciated Disney putting in a live show, the last song was Beauty and the Beast music so bring the characters out was fun to see.
IMG_5552.JPG
IMG_5554.JPG
IMG_5556.JPG
IMG_5559.JPG
IMG_5563.JPG
IMG_5565.JPG

Then we dropped in to the Tower of Terror. The ride was just okay, this has been one of my favorite attractions for a long time but something didn't click with me this time. Maybe it was because we got stalled in the quite dark for awhile or the lack of scream that usually annoy me, or the drop sequence but it wasn't as fun as it used to be. Actually, I think it is because it isn't Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout from California Adventure. I was against them changing it from Tower of Terror there but the Guardians ride is really fun with the music, the bouncing, seeing the story all the time (no dark areas), and the drops; so I think it has ruined me for the old TOT in HS.
IMG_5567.JPG
IMG_5568.JPG

We also went to see the Muppets which was fun.
IMG_5570.JPG

IMG_5572.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
What a fun feeling!!

That is CRAZY that your sister and niece were there at the same time! Did you know they would be? Looks like you had a great time in HS and MK! I love WtP, too!!

We've been meaning to try Baseline for several visits and haven't gotten to it yet, hopefully this year!

We knew that they would be in the Magic Kingdom that day, they were spending some time there before starting their drive home. When we chatted with them by the Pop's pool we kind of got the feeling that they just wanted to be there on their own for the last few hours of Disney. Which was fine and understandable to us. Had we seen them we might have joined them on the carousel and maybe another attraction or two.

The Baseline is fantastic, we went a few more times during our trip and like a few years ago they started to recognize us and remembered our drinks!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom