Walt Disney World Park Hours cut starting September 8 2020

legwand77

More dining options opening up, Hollywood and Vine( first character dining) and Cinderella's Royal Table plus other quick service

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Remember about a month ago when there was talk here of air travel steadily increasing...

More than 16,000 United Airlines employees are set to be furloughed next month as the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) continues to sap the travel industry.

The airline announced the news in a letter to employees on Wednesday, saying that the involuntary furloughs are a "last resort."

"But unfortunately, all of our efforts so far to cut costs, raise debt and introduce voluntary options have not been enough to avoid involuntary furloughs entirely," the letter, obtained by PEOPLE, said.

"Today, each of our operations leaders communicated directly with their teams to share the heart-wrenching news that approximately 16,000 United employees will be notified of an involuntary furlough effective as early as October 1."
"The pandemic has drawn us in deeper and lasted longer than almost any expert predicted, and in an environment where travel demand is so depressed, United cannot continue with staffing levels that significantly exceed the schedule we fly," the letter continued. "Sadly, we don’t expect demand to return to anything resembling normal until there is a widely available treatment or vaccine."

Thelazer

I mean, I can honestly say I never ENJOYED flying United..
If southwest could absorbe all those folks, and the planes and make a better go of it.. I'd fly them for sure.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I mean, I can honestly say I never ENJOYED flying United..
If southwest could absorbe all those folks, and the planes and make a better go of it.. I'd fly them for sure.
Southwest has pledged to not lay-off any workers in 2020. According to this article they got about 27% of their workforce to accept either early retirement or extended leave so that helps a lot. Southwest isn’t doing much better than the other airlines right now.

Herdman

Southwest has pledged to not lay-off any workers in 2020. According to this article they got about 27% of their workforce to accept either early retirement or extended leave so that helps a lot. Southwest isn’t doing much better than the other airlines right now.

Maybe so, but at least from what I've read and heard from others who have flown with them they are sticking with all the precautions that are recommended for the airlines right now. They have pledged to not sell middle seats through at least 10/31. We are flying them in October, and I don't think I'd fly with some of the other airlines right now.

JoeCamel

Remember about a month ago when there was talk here of air travel steadily increasing...

More than 16,000 United Airlines employees are set to be furloughed next month as the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) continues to sap the travel industry.

The airline announced the news in a letter to employees on Wednesday, saying that the involuntary furloughs are a "last resort."

"But unfortunately, all of our efforts so far to cut costs, raise debt and introduce voluntary options have not been enough to avoid involuntary furloughs entirely," the letter, obtained by PEOPLE, said.

"Today, each of our operations leaders communicated directly with their teams to share the heart-wrenching news that approximately 16,000 United employees will be notified of an involuntary furlough effective as early as October 1."
"The pandemic has drawn us in deeper and lasted longer than almost any expert predicted, and in an environment where travel demand is so depressed, United cannot continue with staffing levels that significantly exceed the schedule we fly," the letter continued. "Sadly, we don’t expect demand to return to anything resembling normal until there is a widely available treatment or vaccine."

The airlines have had stimulus to retain employees, keep flying routes and pay their suppliers, it runs out 10/1. I think this is a worst case WARN and they want more help.
Probably need it but propping up the industry may be beyond the ability of the pursestrings at this point.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Maybe so, but at least from what I've read and heard from others who have flown with them they are sticking with all the precautions that are recommended for the airlines right now. They have pledged to not sell middle seats through at least 10/31. We are flying them in October, and I don't think I'd fly with some of the other airlines right now.
I agree. From all accounts I’ve heard SW is doing the best job with Covid. They have a leaner cost infrastructure to begin with without paying for expensive hubs at multiple airports so they are probably better off overall too. My reference to not doing any better was more from the customer demand or revenue side.

GimpYancIent

It seems to me they are doing everything they can to make people decide to not fly down for a week.

Severely cut not ride entertainment severely cut hours. Enforce mask measures more strict than pretty much every other place in the country. Oh, and don’t allow park hopping at a time where you could actually really take advantage of it.

And keep the prices at the same level that has been massively inflated in the last five years due to the parks being overcrowded, and Disney wanting to keep some folks away.

Mission accomplished.

While Universal still has their normal excellent discount ticket prices for 2-5 days.
Excellent analysis.

Lilofan

I know some who work at Southwest. Starting Jan 2021, expect massive layoffs at the airline. I've been flying United recently. The planes are flying full to include middle seat, everyone is masked up during the flight and the goody bag they give you is a bottle of water, one antiseptic wipe and a bag a pretzels. The staff are trying to be as much upbeat as they can if some may not be employed in the next few months.

jaques21

I can see why Disney is cutting more hours. On my recent trip last week to Hollywood studios there was just not that many people towards the end of day and right now theres a rainstorm almost every afternoon there. I still had a great time. It is what is, hopefully things get better!

Kevin_W

I know some who work at Southwest. Starting Jan 2021, expect massive layoffs at the airline. I've been flying United recently. The planes are flying full to include middle seat, everyone is masked up during the flight and the goody bag they give you is a bottle of water, one antiseptic wipe and a bag a pretzels. The staff are trying to be as much upbeat as they can if some may not be employed in the next few months.

American did the same thing with a goody bag of water/antiseptic wipe/pretzels. Honestly, I greatly preferred that to having the flight attendants traipsing through the aisles handing out little cups of beverage.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom