Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
This thread has rarely been limited to the narrow focus of COVID-19 and its effects on Disney World. It is worth discussing worth why we are not a part of this effort, even if it makes some people uncomfortable. Especially given that Disney World caters to a global audience.
Maybe so, but that doesn't make it right. It isn't a matter of being uncomfortable, it is a matter of keeping to the terms of service for this website. Since there is a dedicated thread for ALL COVID-19 discussions, including political ties, that is where it should be discussed.

Either how Disney is handling COVID-19, or how it affects guests are the only things we should be posting here.

GimpYancIent

The headline does not match the actual story. Interesting how words are used to present a particular point of view in a particular way. Its always in the details. The sooner the U.S. can develop a vaccine, the sooner the world will benefit (not just a few power hungry countries) and the sooner everyone can get back to enjoying their time at the Disney properties.

Tink242424

More positive news on a vaccine.

Actually it is more positive news that if you have already had the virus the likelihood that you will get it again is low. So even if a vaccine doesn't pan out herd immunity will work...

lisa12000

Just as an aside from the article linked about Europe’s cases rising - this needs to be put into context with increased testing in those countries (France especially and uk doing 200,000 a day), positivity rate from that (well under 5% in all countries and well under 2% in most) and admissions and deaths (hardly moved since cases started rising)

rowrbazzle

Actually it is more positive news that if you have already had the virus the likelihood that you will get it again is low. So even if a vaccine doesn't pan out herd immunity will work...
It's just too bad about all those people that will have to die to get us there. Good news for those who've recovered though. I still think the vaccine is our best shot.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Numbers are out -

Screen Shot 2020-09-02 at 11.00.50 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-02 at 11.01.02 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-02 at 11.01.12 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-02 at 11.01.22 AM.png

Disstevefan1

I think that is the whole point. Obesity is defined as a BMI over 30 and obesity would be listed as a comorbidity. Almost half of US adults also have high blood pressure, also a comorbidity. These are some of the reasons 94% of Covid deaths had a comorbidity listed and a lot had more than one.

Agreed, BMI is a joke and alone should never be considered a comorbidity. In my opinion, slightly high BP alone shouldn’t be considered a comorbidity either.

To be honest, I don’t trust any of the numbers at this point.... I don’t know what to believe on either side of the debate at this point.

DisneyDebRob

More positive news on a vaccine.

The phase 3 one that just started with astra-zeneca says first results should be here by thanksgiving. If all goes well I’m guessing early next year, as many scientists have been saying for months, it could be available.

DisneyCane

We shut down because of the point we are at in technology. If as a unified world we were able to roll out tests back in March we never would have shut down. We would have low the death rate was and how it was targeting the elderly. We would have locked the elderly down for a few months and all of this would have run its course.
From whatever data was coming out of China and then good data from Italy very early on, it was crystal clear that the elderly were, far and away, the most vulnerable. Testing capacity wasn't required to implement a strategy of locking down the elderly in March.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The headline does not match the actual story. Interesting how words are used to present a particular point of view in a particular way. Its always in the details. The sooner the U.S. can develop a vaccine, the sooner the world will benefit (not just a few power hungry countries) and the sooner everyone can get back to enjoying their time at the Disney properties.
The story isn’t very controversial or even huge news. More than 150 countries are setting up the COVID-19 Vaccines Global Access Facility, or COVAX. An official Whitehouse spokesperson said the US will not join COVAX. That’s a fact. It’s not fake news and it’s not political. It’s also not surprising since the US already announced they are withdrawing from the WHO which COVAX is directly linked to. The US approach has been to directly contract with multiple vaccine developers. If one of those hit, the US will already have doses purchased. So far so good on the front runners and if none of the, work there are a dozen more in the pipeline.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Agreed, BMI is a joke and alone should never be considered a comorbidity. In my opinion, slightly high BP alone shouldn’t be considered a comorbidity either.

To be honest, I don’t trust any of the numbers at this point.... I don’t know what to believe on either side of the debate at this point.
There’s not really much of a controversy here. Most people probably never knew what went on a death certificate before now. Comorbidities are nothing new and common is most deaths from illness. The numbers reported for deaths from a disease are always more of an estimate than a solid number. That’s why if you google worldwide deaths from H1N1 a lot of places give a range vs a firm number. Reporting isn’t always 100% accurate. It’s just that now in our politically charged environment everyone is looking for a darker ulterior motive to errors or grey areas. I think in the vast majority of cases the people in charge of reporting are doing the best they can and are not intentionally reporting false numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom