Impressions de France dialogue change?

Oriolesmagic

Original Poster
Did a quick search for this and was unable to find anything, so I'm curious to see if any of you have noticed or know the reason behind a slight change in the Impressions de France dialogue post-4K update.

During the Riviera sequence, there is an added line that was not there previously. "However fleeting they may be."

Take a listen for yourself below at the 15:40 mark of @marni1971's video of the original which does not feature the dialogue.

Then listen to this video of the remastered version from the site that shall remain nameless at the 13:03 mark. (Apologies for posting that here, but it was the only video I was able to find, and figured it's acceptable for Disney historical purposes).

One of my favorite attractions in any park, so just curious for some input on this. Any thoughts as to how this could have happened? Perhaps dialogue that was intentionally taken out from the original and then missed during the remaster?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Did a quick search for this and was unable to find anything, so I'm curious to see if any of you have noticed or know the reason behind a slight change in the Impressions de France dialogue post-4K update.

During the Riviera sequence, there is an added line that was not there previously. "However fleeting they may be."

Take a listen for yourself below at the 15:40 mark of @marni1971's video of the original which does not feature the dialogue.

Then listen to this video of the remastered version from the site that shall remain nameless at the 13:03 mark. (Apologies for posting that here, but it was the only video I was able to find, and figured it's acceptable for Disney historical purposes).

One of my favorite attractions in any park, so just curious for some input on this. Any thoughts as to how this could have happened? Perhaps dialogue that was intentionally taken out from the original and then missed during the remaster?

Oh. All I can say is how bizarre. IDF had some anomalies over the years but I just went back through 3 masters I have and none include this line.

Last edited:

Heppenheimer

Impressions du France is still playing? What was that I heard earlier about it being replaced?

Glad to hear that this stunningly beautiful film is still showing. I get choked up everytime I watch it.

owlsandcoffee

Impressions du France is still playing? What was that I heard earlier about it being replaced?

Glad to hear that this stunningly beautiful film is still showing. I get choked up everytime I watch it.

It was not replaced, rather it's sharing a building with a new Beauty and the Beast film. IdF ne pas going anywhere.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

They added a Beauty and the Beast Sing Along to the theater, but they still show Impressions.

JIMINYCR

I'm too enchanted by the scenery, the music and the french accent to pick up on the fact that there are all of five different words included. There are greater mysteries to be solved around Disney. ;) Doesnt distract from my enjoyment of the way France is portrayed. Vive la France.

Oriolesmagic

Original Poster
I'm too enchanted by the scenery, the music and the french accent to pick up on the fact that there are all of five different words included. There are greater mysteries to be solved around Disney. ;) Doesnt distract from my enjoyment of the way France is portrayed. Vive la France.

Fair enough. It's one of my favorite attractions as well!

Not upset by the changes or anything like that. Just curious as to how original audio from nearly 40 years ago has seemingly never been part of the attraction before and then is suddenly there. I think that's pretty fascinating and certainly an interesting mystery!

Is there any precedent for original audio being added to an already-opened attraction at WDW?

Last edited:

aladdin2007

Ratatouille won’t affect the theatre at all. I imagine at some point the sing-along will return. Unfortunately.

I can confirm its the lousy singalong during the day and I guess just the one impressions showing in the evening, horrible... It also irks me that the pavilion loop music is now just beauty and the beast, no more traditional French?

Lilofan

I can confirm its the lousy singalong during the day and I guess just the one impressions showing in the evening, horrible... It also irks me that the pavilion loop music is now just beauty and the beast, no more traditional French?
Somebody must have complained😒

dewardevi

I think the addition may be a small attempt to explain that the film is 40 years old. It’s also possible that when they remastered the movie from analog film to digital, probably going back to the master print to do so, it just picked up a small bit of dialog that was trimmed out of the projection copies. I noticed also (before the loss of the international hosts) that the person doing the intro sometimes referred to the content as a look into the past. Really, the original filmmakers did an excellent job of capturing scenes that are reasonably timeless. If you don’t recognize the obsolete cars, trains and boats, you might not realize that Impressions de France is the oldest continuously running movie in WDW. My wife and I have visited most of the sites in the film, with just a few remaining to be checked off.

Twirlnhurl

Is there any precedent for original audio being added to an already-opened attraction at WDW?
Wasn't the sound effects and dialog in the Haunted Mansion Stretching Room expanded in the refurbishment about a decade ago? For some reason I feel like the scream and crash after "there's always my way." as well as the apology for frightening you prematurely were added using original recordings from the '60s. Does anyone remember if that is right?

rreading

Wasn't the sound effects and dialog in the Haunted Mansion Stretching Room expanded in the refurbishment about a decade ago? For some reason I feel like the scream and crash after "there's always my way." as well as the apology for frightening you prematurely were added using original recordings from the '60s. Does anyone remember if that is right?

Don't think so. My impression (and experience) is that many have known the spiel for years (with some people unfortunately speaking the lines along with the ghost host)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom