Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm highly doubtful that any bump in demand is coming. People maybe more comfortable traveling but many haven't felt the job loss yet. Its already started in many places. What amazes me is how many ignore that.
Not all of the economy is impacted the same. This isn’t a traditional recession. There are still many people with disposable income to burn. A $1,200 stimulus check (plus maybe another one) probably helps too.

Chi84

Premium Member
I probably won’t go back to WDW either as long as masks are required. However, in the current environment I would be even less likely to go if masks were not required. I don’t think it would help overall attendance. Some more people would come bu others who are currently going wouldn’t want to. Plus they have committed to the workers that masks will be required. It was negotiated with the union.
I won’t go while masks are required. No need to express my opinion on all that other stuff since it’s all either hypothetical or speculative.

Chi84

Premium Member
Pre-COVID there was a cough in to your elbow campaign. Some people complied some did not. I did not see how coughing into your elbow would reduce the spread of anything. With everybody in a public setting wearing a mask (properly) I do see where a reduction of the spread can be achieved. So yes! The masks need to be with us for the foreseeable future. Remember there were other contagious illnesses also spread the same way as COVID before COVID. You know what, those illnesses are still there! Masks will have positive impact beyond COVID.
That’s fine as long as they’re not mandatory.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I won’t go while masks are required. No need to express my opinion on all that other stuff since it’s all either hypothetical or speculative.
The part about the employees is not speculative. It was announced as part of the agreement with the union. It’s possible the union could agree to them removing the mask requirement (that has to happen at some point) but it would need to be negotiated.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
The part about the employees is not speculative. It was announced as part of the agreement with the union. It’s possible the union could agree to them removing the mask requirement (that has to happen at some point) but it would need to be negotiated.
There wasn’t an end date or an “until we deem it safe” or some sort of clause like that?

rowrbazzle

You’re reading quite a bit into that post. All I said is that we won’t visit Disney while masks are required and that we’ll be back as soon as the restriction is lifted. How can you possibly have any issue with that statement?
The post you quoted ended with, "...that one restriction should be removed ASAP." You said, "I agree," and then indicated you wouldn't visit until it was dropped. My reply was empathizing with your dislike of the requirement. The "issue" I see is the advocation of dropping the requirement.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Is it down to $400 now or has that not been passed yet?
Depends on the state. They have to apply. Mine just started extra $300 rather than $400. To get to $400, the state has to throw in $100. $300 comes from the feds.
They will back pay it to August 1st, which is nice.

Chi84

Premium Member
The post you quoted ended with, "...that one restriction should be removed ASAP." You said, "I agree," and then indicated you wouldn't visit until it was dropped. My reply was empathizing with your dislike of the requirement. The "issue" I see is the advocation of dropping the requirement.
ASAP means as soon as possible, not right away because I dislike the restriction.

techgeek

Is it down to $400 now or has that not been passed yet?

Florida just recently announced it will provide the $300/wk federal funds from the President's executive order, but will not be adding the $100 optional state provided 'matching funds'. No timeline on payments actually kicking in, but they will be retroactive to August 1st. Apparently there's questions on how long the federal funds will last, the best guess from Tallahassee is only another 3 or 4 weeks from the announcement, so perhaps 2 months total benefit from that source.

A 'real' unemployment extension is still hung up in the Senate.

Lilofan

Florida just recently announced it will provide the $300/wk federal funds from the President's executive order, but will not be adding the $100 optional state provided 'matching funds'. No timeline on payments actually kicking in, but they will be retroactive to August 1st. Apparently there's questions on how long the federal funds will last, the best guess from Tallahassee is only another 3 or 4 weeks from the announcement, so perhaps 2 months total benefit from that source.

A 'real' unemployment extension is still hung up in the Senate.
The extension the governor gave for evictions was Aug 1. All this is hair raising for all impacted.

Heppenheimer

I haven't had time to respond, but this new line of logic that "they had comorbidities, so it shouldn't be counted as COVID-19" might be the single most ignorant thing I have read from the deniers yet. Let me outline what can happen when someone get seriously ill with COVID-19.

Let say our example is named "Joe". I've changed the name, but the case is real, and in no ways atypical. He's 65 years old and works as a mechanical engineer. He is overweight, but not obese. He smoked for about 20 years but quit in his 40s. He has high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol and chronic kidney disease, but all are relatively mild and well controlled on medications. A few years ago, Joe had a mild heart attack, which was treated with a stent. He lost some of his cardiac capacity, but with medication and cardiac rehabilitation, he only notices this when he performs parcticularly strenuous physical activity. He remains fully employed, and has an active social life. In other words, although Joe probably isn't quite as healthy as he should be for his age, he by no means is an outlier in America, but he certainly is not at death's door. With proper medical care, he could live another 10-20 years. He recently canceled a trip to Disney World with his grandchildren due to the pandemic.

Unfortunately, Joe caught COVID-19 from one of his co-workers, a younger employee who packed into a bar as soon as they re-opened. He developed a fever and increasing severe shortness of breath. He reported to a local ER and was diagnosed with pneumonia based on a chest xray that showed his lungs were filled with fluid. Based on the severity of his symptoms and poor vital signs, Joe is hospitalized, and his COVID-19 test later returns positive. His already weakned heart now needs to pump much harder due to the illness, and his cardiac muscles start to die because the metabolic demand on them is greater than can be met with the reduced availability of blood oxygen (in medical terms, this is a type II non-ST elevation myocardial infarction, ie NSTEMI, ie, a type of heart attack). Joe goes into ventricular fibrillation, and although he is quickly revivied, the sudden reduction in cardiac output puts his already compromised kidneys into failure. Because his lungs are filled with fluid, the usual treatment for acute kidney failure, flooding the patient with IV fluid, will not work, so he needs to start emergency dialysis. As Joe's immune system tries in vain to fight the infection, his platelet count starts to drop from a dreaded complication called systemic intravascular coagulation. This throws a clot to his brain, and causes a large stroke. Recognizing the futility of further intensive care, his wife tearfully agrees to withdraw treatment, and Joe quickly sucumbs.

So, the cause of death is multi-organ failure, including kidney failure, stroke, and myocardial infarct. Although Joe wasn't in the best of health, he was living an active and productive life just before his sudden death. His underlying co-morbidities made him more vulnerable to COVID-19, but to say his death shouldn't count in the COVID numbers is absurd and a shows complete ignorance of what goes on when someone becomes severely ill.

NickMaio

I haven't had time to respond, but this new line of logic that "they had comorbidities, so it shouldn't be counted as COVID-19" might be the single most ignorant thing I have read from the deniers yet. Let me outline what can happen when someone get seriously ill with COVID-19.

Let say our example is named "Joe". I've changed the name, but the case is real, and in no ways atypical. He's 65 years old and works as a mechanical engineer. He is overweight, but not obese. He smoked for about 20 years but quit in his 40s. He has high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol and chronic kidney disease, but all are relatively mild and well controlled on medications. A few years ago, Joe had a mild heart attack, which was treated with a stent. He lost some of his cardiac capacity, but with medication and cardiac rehabilitation, he only notices this when he performs parcticularly strenuous physical activity. He remains fully employed, and has an active social life. In other words, although Joe probably isn't quite as healthy as he should be for his age, he by no means is an outlier in America, but he certainly is not at death's door. With proper medical care, he could live another 10-20 years. He recently canceled a trip to Disney World with his grandchildren due to the pandemic.

Unfortunately, Joe caught COVID-19 from one of his co-workers, a younger employee who packed into a bar as soon as they re-opened. He developed a fever and increasing severe shortness of breath. He reported to a local ER and was diagnosed with pneumonia based on a chest xray that showed his lungs were filled with fluid. Based on the severity of his symptoms and poor vital signs, Joe is hospitalized, and his COVID-19 test later returns positive. His already weakned heart now needs to pump much harder due to the illness, and his cardiac muscles start to die because the metabolic demand on them is greater than can be met with the reduced availability of blood oxygen (in medical terms, this is a type II non-ST elevation myocardial infarction, ie NSTEMI, ie, a type of heart attack). Joe goes into ventricular fibrillation, and although he is quickly revivied, the sudden reduction in cardiac output puts his already compromised kidneys into failure. Because his lungs are filled with fluid, the usual treatment for acute kidney failure, flooding the patient with IV fluid, will not work, so he needs to start emergency dialysis. As Joe's immune system tries in vain to fight the infection, his platelet count starts to drop from a dreaded complication called systemic intravascular coagulation. This throws a clot to his brain, and causes a large stroke. Recognizing the futility of further intensive care, his wife tearfully agrees to withdraw treatment, and Joe quickly sucumbs.

So, the cause of death is multi-organ failure, including kidney failure, stroke, and myocardial infarct. Although Joe wasn't in the best of health, he was living an active and productive life just before his sudden death. His underlying co-morbidities made him more vulnerable to COVID-19, but to say his death shouldn't count in the COVID numbers is absurd and a shows complete ignorance of what goes on when someone becomes severely ill.
Thank you.......
The downplay of covid on this forum is staggering.

Touchdown

Somewhere back on other pages I made the same argument before. It’s amazing, I’m used to being ignored, I’m used to people believing they can WebMD to do my job, but now all of a sudden people want to do my job and fill out death reports 🙄.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
1598875815018.png

1598875863310.png

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
When someone says death rates this year are in line with previous years... they lie:

1598875943665.png

See how that first spike correlates to the initial spikes in the tri-state area? See the second spike (which health officials warned us about) correlates to the Southern states' spike?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom